Learning the Lido Shuffle

MaryO

Platinum Member
So....My teacher introduced me to the Lido Shuffle at our last lesson, partly at my request and he showed it to me and wrote it out for me. While I can play what he wrote out on it's own pretty well, I'm having no luck applying it to either Lido or Roseanna, both songs I believe which make use of that particular beat. Usually, when learning a beat, it helps me to apply it to a song I can learn to play so I can get the feel and groove of it down but I'm having no such luck making the transition on this one.

Are there any other songs which would be good for applying that beat to? Also, do any of you know of any good video tutorials on the Lido Shuffle that I could study? The one I found really didn't slow it down or break it down enuf for me to get the hang of it. I have about another 11 days before I get back to lessons after my knee surgery so any work I can do on my own is helpful until then. Just so you know, I have emailed my teacher with my conundrum and will also see what he suggests.

thanks!

Mary

That groove isn't terribly complicated on its own, but to play it at a decent speed is a real technique challenge! You'll need to break down the role of each hand into upstrokes, downstrokes, and taps, in order to control where the stick goes after each impact, in preparation for the next stroke. You'll need to practice the techniques required for fast playing at slow tempos, get it?

So if you've first got a handle on the technique, and you want to practice the groove at a slow tempo, then you want a song that has a slower shuffle, 12/8, or 6/8 pattern.

Red House by Jimi Hendrix is a good choice because it's a slow 12/8. Although you won't be playing what Mitch Mitchell plays, the Lido shuffle will "fit" rhythmically. At such a slow pace, it's also practical to try playing fills at the end of each 12-bar verse or chorus, and to work on the transitions to and from the Lido shuffle beat.

Lights by Journey will also work nicely.

Have fun!

Hi there ive got a few different answers hopefully 1 of these might help u? 1 youtube type in Jeff Pocaro Lido Shuffle demonstrated by Jim Huwe that might help .2Google type in drum notation to boz scaggs lido shuffle on page half way down .Lido Shuffle-Drums groove MuseScore.com have a look at drum notation?3U heard of Absolute Slower Downer? if not can down load trial version 4 free ( i had this for about three years for free) u can play and alter speed of 2 different songs with this trial version and buy cd of track and slow it down on this u can go as slow as 30% of normal speed and doesnt destort i use it a lot its fab so those my options id use hope you nail the groove( i cant) awesome groove

Thanks to both of you for some great suggestions. Brent, I love the idea of attempting the lido shuffle to Journey's Lights....I'll definitely give that one a try. I feel I have the technical aspects of it down but just need to work on the groove, hopefully that will give me a chance to work on that.

Rock fan...I'll look at the Slow Downer application...that may be just the thing to help me out with this.

I also probably just need time and practice so that I can work up to the speed of the groove in the Boz Scazz song. I love working with a regular shuffle and have feeling the Lido groove will be one of my favorite to play if I can get it down!

Thanks again!

MaryO

I play this groove and i'ts particularly difficult to get the feeling when your learn it!

First, separate every layers of each others. Practice your hat's shuffle, then your snare (the ghost note just after the backbeat seem impossible at the first time^^), then your claves on the bass drum.

After that you can mix hats and snare, and progressively add the bass drum and practice to move it around the groove. Remember to ALWAYS count each time.

Play the groove with a metronome at 80, 90, 100, 110 and you will get it at 120, approximatively the Rosanna's tempo.

Finally, listen at Rosanna and Lido alot of times and try to understand the feeling!

Hope it's help and work hard, because you have to take alot of time on this groove, but once you get it i'ts simply PURE DOPE!!! :D

Sorry for my bad english...

Jasbat

Go find Steely Dan's Babylon Sisters. That's basically the same groove but much slower and groovier. In fact, that's where Jeff Porcaro got his inspiration for Rosanna.

Of course, there's also Zep's Fool in the Rain. All the same concept, but at different speeds and feels.

I'm having no luck applying it to either Lido or Roseanna, both songs I believe which make use of that particular beat.

Yep, although applied differently. Lido is a straight 4/4 shuffle with the snare accents on the 2 and 4. Rosanna is the shuffle played in half time with the snare accent on 3. But if you get the mechanics of the ghosting and accents down then it's a case of, if you can play one, you can play the other......it's just a matter of shifting the snare accent.

That Jeff Huwe vid looks like a great example to teach you the sticking and note placement......after that it's a matter of dynamics to make it groove. The pattern can be applied to any shuffle. Pick one at a tempo that suits you.

Go find Steely Dan's Babylon Sisters. That's basically the same groove but much slower and groovier. In fact, that's where Jeff Porcaro got his inspiration for Rosanna.

Of course, there's also Zep's Fool in the Rain. All the same concept, but at different speeds and feels.

those would be half time shuffles though.... Lido Shuffle is not a half time shuffle

just a regular shuffle with a back beat on 2 and 4

Not sure how to link it on my phone , but try searching on you tube "30 second drum lesson lido shuffle" slows it way down. That's about as fast as I can play it.

Lights by Journey will also work nicely.

Have fun!

Brent;
I have to thank you so much for this suggestion. I finally was able to get back behind my kit tonight for a few minutes (still recovering from my knee surgery) and I tried the lido shuffle to Lights. It was GREAT! I would suggest this for anyone learning this beat. A great slower tempo and a wonderful way for me to learn some muscle memory with this beat.

As always, you guys always have great advice and teach me so much. Can't wait until I'm healed enuf to get behind the kit for longer periods and really get some practice in on this one. I'm really psyched to get this shuffle up to speed. :)

Thanks again!

MaryO

Brent;
I have to thank you so much for this suggestion.

You're welcome! :) Any 6/8 song will do the trick, and there are plenty: House of the Rising Sun (The Animals), Hold The Line (Toto), If This Is It (Huey Lewis), The Way You Make Me Feel (MJ)...

Cool! More fun songs to add to my list! :)

When I first saw this thread, and also knowing that Mary is pretty new to drumming, I thought this song was a tad ambitious to introduce to someone in their first year. I mean the first 12 measures of this tune is a plethora of ghost notes, which require a ton of control, and a pretty accomplished left hand as well. I mean there are easier shuffles to ease into. Lido shuffle, especially the first 12 measures, is advanced stuff in my book. So is Roseanna, and the other half time shuffles. Mary are you comfortable with all those ghost notes already?

Larry,
that's exactly why I'm enjoying playing this particular shuffle to some slower songs such as Lights. I couldn't, and still can't, get it down for either Lido or Roseanna. However, using it with some of these other songs allows me to work it at a slower pace and start learning to get those ghost notes, etc. in. As I begin to build muscle memory and become more comfortable with the whole groove, I'll go back to tyring to work it with some of the more advanced songs. You're exactly right...I wouldn't start off a beginning drummer with something like Lido...it would drive them mad! Still too much for me.

OK Mary I get it now. The tempo to Lido is the hard part to maintain with all those ghosts. Good on you for doing it to a slower tune, that's the way to learn anything.

Larry,
that's exactly why I'm enjoying playing this particular shuffle to some slower songs such as Lights. I couldn't, and still can't, get it down for either Lido or Roseanna. However, using it with some of these other songs allows me to work it at a slower pace and start learning to get those ghost notes, etc. in. As I begin to build muscle memory and become more comfortable with the whole groove, I'll go back to tyring to work it with some of the more advanced songs. You're exactly right...I wouldn't start off a beginning drummer with something like Lido...it would drive them mad! Still too much for me.

Mary I think it's important that you understand that Lido and Rosanna are two different types of shuffles

Rosanna is a half time shuffle....like Fool in the Rain, Babylon Sister, etc
Lido is just a straight shuffle with 2+4 back beats

for example if you played the Lido shuffle over Rosanna...it would work musically but would give the song a double time feel

just something to think about

Mary I think it's important that you understand that Lido and Rosanna are two different types of shuffles

Rosanna is a half time shuffle....like Fool in the Rain, Babylon Sister, etc
Lido is just a straight shuffle with 2+4 back beats

for example if you played the Lido shuffle over Rosanna...it would work musically but would give the song a double time feel

just something to think about

Actually, I think I figured that out when trying to play it. But thanks for the clarification and the examples...it helps put it into perspective. :)

Back