Lack of Reggae lessons with fills:(

I am trying to get into reggae and learn some new fills even try to make up some but there is barely any lessons online. I feel as if this style is overlooked by many.

You just gotta listen to the music and play. It's not technical stuff at its root. The feel is the thing. As long as you are playing with a band that is actually playing reggae music, it should be pretty simple. If it feels difficult, you're playing too much. Strip it down and listen for the space. Make sure your bass player is properly medicated as well.

....and don't EVER play the 1...you just don't do it

Get Gil Sharone's "Wicked Beats" - very useful reggae drumming DVD

Pick up Modern Drummers issue on reggae from around a year ago. Heaps of beats and fills.

as packfan88c said, gil sharone's dvd is a must have for any drummers who are reggae enthusiasts. Also stated, listed to any bob marley albums, peter tosh, and a good mixture of pop rock and reggae is older NO DOUBT and 311. Also, i highly recommend Western Standard Time's tribute album to the Skatalites. Some very cool stuff on there. I myself when just learning reggae, or any style for that matter, find a good starting point for fills to be simply moving the main groove away from the hihat/snare to other drums for a few beats or a bar. Sounds simple, but that gives you a very good starting point and allows you to feel them out without dropping the beat.

Back