Ludwig Snare ID help

opentune

Platinum Member
Ummmm.. I think I found a 5 x 14 Supra...for only $30. The kid didn't know what he had and put it on a used site in my area. Sorry no pics yet (getting to it), but here are some particulars:

Blue/olive pointy badge, 7 digit serial# (makes it 1979 by my estimate?)
Ludwig WeatherMaster heads,
shell appears to be chrome, or maybe Ludalloy(?)
the kicker is it has 10 lugs (I'm thinking it cannot be a cheap Ludwig snare with 10 lugs?).

I'm not sure of the model of throw-off but it has Ludwig label in silver on the dark filled background.

Anything definite that can identify it?
The guy didn't know what model (in fact selling it for $30 he could not have known much).

Did Ludwig make cheap steel snares but with 10 lugs?

thanks for any help.

Ummmm.. I think I found a 5 x 14 Supra...for only $30. The kid didn't know what he had and put it on a used site in my area. Sorry no pics yet (getting to it), but here are some particulars:

Blue/olive pointy badge, 7 digit serial# (makes it 1979 by my estimate?)
Ludwig WeatherMaster heads,
shell appears to be chrome, or maybe Ludalloy(?)
the kicker is it has 10 lugs (I'm thinking it cannot be a cheap Ludwig snare with 10 lugs?).

I'm not sure of the model of throw-off but it has Ludwig label in silver on the dark filled background.

Anything definite that can identify it?
The guy didn't know what model (in fact selling it for $30 he could not have known much).

Did Ludwig make cheap steel snares but with 10 lugs?

thanks for any help.

Yes they did,but the strainer was different.Sounds like you have a supra there.The shell is Ludalloy(aluminum alloy),with chrome plating.The strainer sounds like the P-85 which would be correct.It should also have either imperial lugs or tube lugs,and weigh around 6 pounds.Look inside the shell,there may be a blue sticker with white writing that says ludalloy or a stamp that says anti galvanic.

Post some pics,and if you score that drum for 30 bucks,run like a thief in the night.Great deal.

Steve B

Hmm. The honest part of me says that I would fess up to a certain extent and tell the poor kid in a roundabout way that you think his drum is worth a little more than $30 and slap him another $50 on top of that and give him $80. It'll make the kid's day and you'll feel a lot better too. A win-win for lack of a better word. Just saying... :) $80 is still a steal.

Reminds me of that scene from the movie High Fidelity when a cheating husband's wife gets back at him and wants to sell his valuable collection vinyl LPs for a $100 or something. John Cusack, excited at first at this steal of a century, tells her they're worth more and offers her more $$ and takes only a few items.

Larryz - too late. I bought the drum before I posted all this. I knew it was a decent deal but then I didn't realize it could be a Supra til I brought it home and said "wait a minute...why would Ludwig even make a cheap 10-lug drum?"
Will try the magnet trick, and Steve B will have a look inside tonite. I hope to get pics up but am at work. thanks all.

Magnet doesn't stick to shell. 10 Imperial lugs. P85 throw-off.
Steve B no such labels inside (hmmmm ) but given evidence by all you folks I am 99% its a Supra.....for only 30 deneiros.

Pics, bro! :)
But does it look like this?
lm400_66.jpg

Possibly with a different/no muffler knob and/or badge?

sorry took awhile to get a few pics, taken from my Mac, so not so great, but you can see details like strainer etc. hope these copy well. thanks for all the help in ID. I'm very happy with my find

slingbass2.jpg

ludwigsupra2.jpg

Awesome!! That'd be an LM400!

I think I'd probably be the only guy on here who's not jealous of the price... I got a 6.5 for free a few months back... ;)

Back