Taking drumming more serious

Vampires

I picked up the sticks around a year ago now. I live in an apartment so bought a standard Yamaha DTX500 e-kit. The trouble is, as much as I love watching other people drum, every time I sit down I will just hit whatever going around the kit until I get bored about 10-15 minutes in. Rinse and repeat every day...

I did have lessons when I first started for about a month, I learnt the basics and couldn't really afford it anymore.

I want to actually find a proper routine and improve though. I'm far too scared to take a song on... they all seem to complex what with your fills etc. I've heard a few people say 'just jam along' but will this really improve my drumming? Hitting the incorrect notes to a song?

As I say, I love drums, I just need a kick up the backside down the right route!

Here's one way.

Buy Tommy Igoe "Groove Essentials 1.0" DVD (or the digital online version) and also the playalong book/CD.

It's fun, you're playing on your kit to real songs, and learning grooves. No need to fill if you don't want to.

I would also get Tommy Igoe "Great Hands for a Lifetime" (DVD or digital online version) and work on that too.

Then.. set a reasonable goal. Say... 30 minutes per day minimum.

10 minutes a day on hands.
20 minutes a day on grooves.

You'll probably find you start out trying to get to 30 minutes and then end up playing for far longer.

There are a lot of features on your e-kit that you can practice along with.

I have recently went back to basics. It has been over 20 years since I have practiced rudiments. Vic Firth has a good app that takes you through all 40 rudiments. I thought my timing was good, but I found out that it wasn't near as good as I thought. And my left hand is starting to get lazy. The rudiment exercises are much more challenging that I thought they would have been. I have made a focused effort to practice on my Real Feel pad at least 30 minutes if my band is not rehearsing.

YouTube is full of fun videos also. I really like the Drumeo guys.

Have fun!

Tommy Igoe "Groove Essentials 1.0" DVD (or the digital online version) and also the playalong book/CD.

Tommy Igoe "Great Hands for a Lifetime" (DVD or digital online version)

I'll second that!

Highly recommended.

A friend of mine took a cheapo Casio keyboard into the drum room, plugged it up and turned on different beats like Samba, rock, disco etc.... and relearned a lot of stuff after many years of not playing. I thought that was a pretty cool idea and if you have an old keyboard laying around it might be a nice way to repurpose the clutter.

Here's one way.

Buy Tommy Igoe "Groove Essentials 1.0" DVD (or the digital online version) and also the playalong book/CD.

It's fun, you're playing on your kit to real songs, and learning grooves. No need to fill if you don't want to.

I would also get Tommy Igoe "Great Hands for a Lifetime" (DVD or digital online version) and work on that too.

You'll probably find you start out trying to get to 30 minutes and then end up playing for far longer.

I have had a little look into Tommy Igoe and his stuff has great reviews! I ordered the "Great Hands for a Lifetime" DVD last night.

Regarding his 'Grooves Essentials' DVD's does he speak as if you are a complete beginner, ideally that would be easier for me.

Yes, the early grooves in groove essentials are very easy, and Tommy breaks all the grooves down really well. You start off very slow, gradually get more complex. You could also try Tommy's "getting started on drums" which is even more beginner oriented. However that DVD spends a bunch of time showing you how to build up an acoustic kit from scratch and explains the parts of the kit.

I would just do groove essentials 1.0. It's basic enough.

Here's one way.

Thanks for the tip off in this thread, I've just ordered the 1.0 and 2.0 set for myself as I've only recently come back to drumming (just bought a Roland TD30K ekit so I've got to justify the cost...).

I've been a bassist and guitarist for over twenty-five years and while I used to have an old 60's Ludwig back then, it was for visiting drummers. Sadly, I gave it away to an old friend of my sister that was a drummer. Now I realize what a mistake that was. Just got another kit and started learning to play the drums myself (just to become a more well-rounded musician) and I haven't felt this sort of passion for an instrument in some time. I find myself consumed in trying to learn and always practicing. I've been watching Tommy's videos and it has really helped me appreciate the drums. His easy to follow instructions and play alongs are great. I'm eager to learn different styles to understand the fundamentals that each genre incorporates.

Back