DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

Default Maybe I'm done compensating for my height ;)

Well, it's that time after NAMM where I start picking out what kind of set I'd like for the year, and I wanted to run this by all of you arbiters of drumming taste before I made a final decision.

I've always said I love the 9x13/16x16/14x22 configuration as I've played one all my life and just got used to it. I don't deal with tom height issues or anything, it's just comfortable.

I've never played a Ludwig Downbeat configuration until recently when I got that little 1960s Yamaha kit with the 8x12/14x14/14x20 sizes. And it's such a fun kit to play, but with six-lugs on both the floor tom and bass drum, I don't really have tuning control of the drum as I'm used to. I definitely can't get the floor tom low enough without the head flapping.

So my question is, which configuration would be good? I've never had a super high-end kit in smaller sizes. In my case, I'm planning on a Pearl Reference kit in 8x12/14x14 and 14x20 with a matching 6.5x13 snare. Or should I stay with the 9x13/16x16 and 16x22 with a 14" snare?

The only way I could solve this dilemma is to get all the sizes I want, but contrary to popular belief, even for me that's alot of money. Part of me says to go with the smaller configuration and have fun, and maybe having high-end shells will make it more enjoyable? But if I stayed with my tried-and-true, then I have the bases covered either way. Sometimes I think the 12/14/20 kit wouldn't be loud enough for basic un-mic'd rock n roll, but then again, in mic'd up situations, Steve Jordan, Jojo Mayer, and Benny Greb make the smaller drums work.

Maybe I should stop compensating and just get a kit that fits my body better? And people have told me the regular Reference drums are actually pretty loud by themselves.

Discuss.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:45 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Maybe I'm done compensating for my height ;)

Jenkins-Martin shell bank. Oriollo copper or aluminum shell bank, depending on your favorite sound.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:00 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Well, it's that time after NAMM where I start picking out what kind of set I'd like for the year, and I wanted to run this by all of you arbiters of drumming taste before I made a final decision.

I've always said I love the 9x13/16x16/14x22 configuration as I've played one all my life and just got used to it. I don't deal with tom height issues or anything, it's just comfortable.

I've never played a Ludwig Downbeat configuration until recently when I got that little 1960s Yamaha kit with the 8x12/14x14/14x20 sizes. And it's such a fun kit to play, but with six-lugs on both the floor tom and bass drum, I don't really have tuning control of the drum as I'm used to. I definitely can't get the floor tom low enough without the head flapping.

So my question is, which configuration would be good? I've never had a super high-end kit in smaller sizes. In my case, I'm planning on a Pearl Reference kit in 8x12/14x14 and 14x20 with a matching 6.5x13 snare. Or should I stay with the 9x13/16x16 and 16x22 with a 14" snare?

The only way I could solve this dilemma is to get all the sizes I want, but contrary to popular belief, even for me that's alot of money. Part of me says to go with the smaller configuration and have fun, and maybe having high-end shells will make it more enjoyable? But if I stayed with my tried-and-true, then I have the bases covered either way. Sometimes I think the 12/14/20 kit wouldn't be loud enough for basic un-mic'd rock n roll, but then again, in mic'd up situations, Steve Jordan, Jojo Mayer, and Benny Greb make the smaller drums work.

Maybe I should stop compensating and just get a kit that fits my body better? And people have told me the regular Reference drums are actually pretty loud by themselves.

Discuss.
Any chance of finding some drums in 20/14/12 sizes to match your vintage Gretsch kit?

Personally, I have played a 22/16/12 most of my life, and it feels very comfortable. However, I recently picked up a Ludwig Classic Maple in 20/14/12, and I love it. The sizes give me a fast, punchy sound, which is really enjoyable to play. Having said that, I miss the fatness and low end of the 22" bass drum. The toms are absolutely fine, but the bass is where I struggle feeling like 20" is enough.

Edit: Wanted to add, I really dig how I can place the rack tom a bit lower with a 20" bass drum. I'm 5'10" so it isn't a huge deal, but I just feel like it makes things a bit easier/smoother for me. I wish I could find a 20" bass that had the low end of a 22. (Damn physics!)
Old 02-12-2019, 04:20 AM
Silver Member

Why not go with an older rogers kit? 12, 14, 16 and 20 would be a real fun set to mess around with

Plus, in my opinion, any drum collection isn’t complete without at least one rogers set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkaway View Post
Any chance of finding some drums in 20/14/12 sizes to match your vintage Gretsch kit?
Or I could totally support this. That Gretsch set would be such a nice kit to start a shell bank with
Old 02-12-2019, 04:36 AM

I have Pearl Session Studio Classic 12/14/20 and Ludwig CM 13/16/22. I use both with 14” snares. The 12/14 pearls go down to the same note as the 13/16 and volume seems to be the same. If anything, the pearls tune up quicker, have more punch and seems to be of higher quality than the Ludwigs. That being said, the 22 has a lower note than the 20 and I feel it behind the kit. But I rarely play the Ludwigs, I’m 5’7” and the 12/14/20 just fits better. I wouldn’t play a 13” snare, the 14” fits well and sound great.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:49 AM
Platinum Member

You realize you have bought and parted with more drum kits in the last 10 years than everyone reading this combined, right?
Old 02-12-2019, 06:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
You realize you have bought and parted with more drum kits in the last 10 years than everyone reading this combined, right?
Yes. It's kind of my thing. This is what happens when you're a DINK (double income, no kids).

I would love to find drums to add to my 1972 Gretsch - but that's really hard. Conditions are all over the place and people just ask for stupid high prices just because of what they are.

I could not get a new kit, but I like trying new stuff if given the opportunity. I like the old, but I also like the new ;)
Old 02-12-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsbclontz View Post
Why not go with an older rogers kit? 12, 14, 16 and 20 would be a real fun set to mess around with
Yup, took the words right out of my mouth.

1-up, 2-down.

Rogers all the way. Their 20" is as kick-ass as any 22" I've ever heard. It's my next kit's size.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:03 AM

Watch the new Gretsch USA comparison video, and listen to that absolutely massive BroadKaster bass drum. That's a 14x20. So get that kit with 12" and 15" toms. Yes, I said 15".

You're welcome.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Watch the new Gretsch USA comparison video, and listen to that absolutely massive BroadKaster bass drum. That's a 14x20. So get that kit with 12" and 15" toms. Yes, I said 15".

You're welcome.
I hear ya' on the 15". OTOH, you're not that far away from a 16". So if I love the "oomph" of the 22", and the tone of the 16", if I went with a 12" rack tom, I've got a Charlie Watts kit. Splendid idea ;)
Old 02-12-2019, 10:37 AM

I would never change from 20,12,14 again. But I am just a hobbyist drummer.
The reference drums may make you very happy. At least for a week.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member

You want a height appropriate kit from Pearl that you can sell next week without a huge investment? Get a Midtown kit. You won't be keeping the thing anyhow.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Bo

I've just purchased the Saturn V Tour Series in 20x14/12x8/14x14. Bass drum is a 10 lugger, Floor Tom 8 lugs.

Can't wait for it to get here next week!

I'm opposite ends of the scale to you I'm 6'3" and really like weight training. Just don't like it when I'm gigging!

The tour series has some crazy deals on at the moment and I'm looking forward to seeing what the maple/walnut combo sounds like.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:35 PM
Silver Member

The 15" floor seems like a good idea, paired with a 12x8 or 12x9 rack tom.
I have never tried a 20x14 ; but I kind of liked the 20x16 I came across. I would choose this depth.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member

Why not just buy a 20 in bass to match one of the kits you have? If you can't find a match finish-buy used one of correct shell then wrap it-you can have one made to match. Here ya go a Pearl Decade in Tony yellow to inspire your jazz moods. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...MaAlDdEALw_wcB

Last edited by GetAgrippa; 02-12-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

To my ears, there's just no match for a 16" floor tom. A 14" just doesn't do it for me.

If I were In your shoes, I'd get a 12x7 rack tom, a 16x14 floor, and a 20x14 kick. With this, you can put that rack tom in just the right spot without any weird angles or anything. I've got this set up (well my kick is a 20x20), and it's super comfortable.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
To my ears, there's just no match for a 16" floor tom. A 14" just doesn't do it for me.

If I were In your shoes, I'd get a 12x7 rack tom, a 16x14 floor, and a 20x14 kick. With this, you can put that rack tom in just the right spot without any weird angles or anything. I've got this set up (well my kick is a 20x20), and it's super comfortable.

Yeap, you gotta have a big enough tom for your plate of food. I joke.

On a serious note I had a friend of mine who sometimes would take a 16" and 18" floor toms but play with a 16x16" kick drum. He found that there was no replacement for the tom sound, but he could still get a really good kick sound from a smaller drum especially since he played 99% miked up.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member

20" floor tom and a 16" bass drum.

That way you don't have to learn to play a double bass drum pedal.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

I think the 20/12/14 sizes are just about perfect. Comfortable and super fun to play!

I'd consider a 20/12/16 configuration too. I can't yet tell if a 14 floor tom satisfies me as much as a 16.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2019, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
Yeap, you gotta have a big enough tom for your plate of food. I joke.
My facebook post that went along with that said this:

I guess if there were a picture that represents my life right now, this would be it: my drum set with a plate of BBQ during a set break at the local Ford dealership. #AmericanaMusic
Old 02-12-2019, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtThump View Post
I think the 20/12/14 sizes are just about perfect. Comfortable and super fun to play!

I'd consider a 20/12/16 configuration too. I can't yet tell if a 14 floor tom satisfies me as much as a 16.

Ooohhhh....D112's on the toms????

Tell me about that.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

You buy a new kit every week, don't ya?

My own perspective is very simple. I found out what I wanted quite a while back and I'd like to have a full a pack, all sizes of those, USA Customs. I put away a bit of money reularly and until that time I just use what I have.

Things could have moved faster, but I do tend to slow things down by getting a new snare or some various percusssion items. Sure they're pricey, at least a $15000 investment here in Norway. If I was done with school and I was in a full time eomplyment situation right now I'd just borrow the money, but not comfortabe doing that now. I'd probably throw $100 k of recording gear on top if that was the case anyway, so it wouldn't change that much.

In any case. I'm never in the psition to do impulse purchases, so what I get I know I'm keeping.

I'd like some Broadkasters as well, preferrable a full bank of tose too, but 12, 14,20 would mostly suffice. They sound amazing as long as the music isn't too dense.

Last edited by Odd-Arne Oseberg; 02-12-2019 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:06 PM

General question out of curiosity to the folks that use a 20" kick, do you use a riser or not?
Old 02-12-2019, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneydog59 View Post
General question out of curiosity to the folks that use a 20" kick, do you use a riser or not?
No. I use no riser.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

Bo:
I don't see why there is any question about what to buy.
I think every drummer who has enough funds should have one drum set all in the same color.
With two bass drums, 20" and 22" and a 12" and 13" tom. With a 14" and 16" floor tom.
That way you can use what ever combination is needed for the gig.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneydog59 View Post
When I do use a 20", no. Think 99,99% of people don't. Never seen it.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Ooohhhh....D112's on the toms????

Tell me about that.
:)

I have a D112, Beta52, and D6. Whatever I'm not using in the kick gets tom duties. I've really only spent alot of time with the D6 in the kick and the others on toms. I think the D112 on the floor tom sounds absolutely fantastic!

I'm still trying to figure out if I like the Beta52 on the rack tom.

Either way, I'm having better luck with these than with SM57s. Just home recording.

EDIT - Also, I saw Abe from Paul Mc's band using D112s on all toms. It was in a Vic Firth Performance Spotlight video. I would copy the link, but can't access YouTube from my current location.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtThump View Post
:)

I have a D112, Beta52, and D6. Whatever I'm not using in the kick gets tom duties. I've really only spent alot of time with the D6 in the kick and the others on toms. I think the D112 on the floor tom sounds absolutely fantastic!

I'm still trying to figure out if I like the Beta52 on the rack tom.

Either way, I'm having better luck with these than with SM57s. Just home recording.

EDIT - Also, I saw Abe from Paul Mc's band using D112s on all toms. It was in a Vic Firth Performance Spotlight video. I would copy the link, but can't access YouTube from my current location.
Quick story: I had my drums set up at church, and I always have the kick coming through on my IEM's. At the time, we were getting the best sound with my D112 miking the lower batter side of the kick. Well, something got kicked around, and the D112 ended up under the floor tom. About two songs into the set, I was curious as to why my kick drum wasn't heard but my floor tom sounded like it ruled the world. :)

Oh, and FYI, I don't use a riser with a 20" kick.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:37 PM
Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNn5Q7H-FeA

12" mounted tom-tom, 14" floor tom-tom and 20" bass drum are perfect.

Regarding the 14" vs 16" debate, the smaller size of the 14" speaks quicker and allows for easier execution of faster figures. It won't sound as huge as a 16" though.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:00 PM
Silver Member

There has to be a million used. 20,10,14 DW Collector kits out there in SoCal eh? You ain't gonna like that 20 for rock tho. Get a 22x14, 12x8, 16x14. Anything smaller is hipster/jazz cruft. ;) (runs for cover from elitist jazzer types)
Old 02-12-2019, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Nah, if you do the heavy stuff and want to use a single floor it's obviously a 16. For once in a while you'll get by with a 14 for that too, though.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:20 PM
Platinum Member

Well unmic'd I think the 14 in floor cuts better-live the 16 is so infrasound only elephants and people down the street hear it LOL. Mic'ed any will do. I like the sound of the 16 in better behind the kit though. I'm running a 10 in mounted and 16 floor now-I can't believe I took the 13 in tom off-cause I've been so in love with it-but alas it was just a passing fancy-till I tire of 10 and go back to 13 LOL.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not too much taller than you, Bo, and with my 9" deep rack tom over my 22" I still feel like I'm able to reach everything. I do like the feel of my 20" though. Funny thing is, with those deeper toms on my Yamaha, the rack toms on both sit at about the same height.

For toms, get a 12/14/16. That way you can have both the 14" and 16" or either one as the mood strikes you. A 10" or a 13" will be an easy addition down the road if you so choose.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:42 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Ah that’s cool. Sounds like it suits you and is comfortable.

Quote:
Maybe I should stop compensating and just get a kit that fits my body better?
.....Eh?

Maybe just admit you fancy another change. I say go for it if it’s what you fancy trying.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:47 PM

To the point in your original post in the thread, about un-mic'd volume for rock shows... I played my smaller kit this weekend, 10/12/14/20, and only mic'd the kick and snare. (Took the smaller kit, as it was a long ride and we were trying to go light so as to not have to take the trailer)

We ended up playing as loud as any bar gig we ever do, and those drums cut thru very nicely. And mine were basic older Swingstars...you'll likely have something much nicer. I'm betting you'll be fine with a similar kit.

That, and you won't have it long enough to be a problem anyway, right? ;)
Old 02-12-2019, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Weaves View Post
There has to be a million used. 20,10,14 DW Collector kits out there in SoCal eh? You ain't gonna like that 20 for rock tho. Get a 22x14, 12x8, 16x14. Anything smaller is hipster/jazz cruft. ;) (runs for cover from elitist jazzer types)
I tend to agree with this. The 22 has that low end oomph I like, and the 20 is more pointed. So I think Watts has it right with a 12/16/22 kit. Oh the decisions.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
.....Eh?

Maybe just admit you fancy another change. I say go for it if it’s what you fancy trying.

This^^^

You do come up with some pretty flimsy justifications Bo. Simple fact is you like to experiment and change.....frequently......very frequently. Aside from providing hilarity to a drum forum, there's nothing wrong with it. You're in an enviable position where you have the means to do so without enduring financial hardship or neglect. So embrace it and enjoy it.

Get what you like and enjoy them for a month or two. It's hardly like anything you get will be permanent anyway. We'll enjoy hearing about your drums while you have them. Then giggle mercilessly next time we see another one of your threads telling us you're restless again.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

As someone who has been a user of so many different sets of drums, you have an intimate working knowledge of all those sets.
Why not go for a Masterworks?
Old 02-12-2019, 11:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
This^^^

You do come up with some pretty flimsy justifications Bo. Simple fact is you like to experiment and change.....frequently......very frequently. Aside from providing hilarity to a drum forum, there's nothing wrong with it. You're in an enviable position where you have the means to do so without enduring financial hardship or neglect. So embrace it and enjoy it.

Get what you like and enjoy them for a month or two. It's hardly like anything you get will be permanent anyway. We'll enjoy hearing about your drums while you have them. Then giggle mercilessly next time we see another one of your threads telling us you're restless again.
And there’s nothing wrong with that

I’m jealous to be honest
Old 02-12-2019, 11:36 PM

Ludwig Downbeat! Classic Maple! Atlas Mounts! Atlas Arch!