DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 02-01-2019, 02:26 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default The 8 lug snare drum

I recently picked up a brand new Pork Pie 14 x 6.5 seamed aluminum snare drum for 265 USD. I thought it was a 10 lug drum when I bought it. I missed the fact that it is an 8 lug snare drum. I never owned an 8 lug snare in my adult life.

To say I really like it would be an understatement. It really flips my wig.

I did a quick and dirty comparison recording of 5 of my snare drums. I recorded:

14 x 6 Carolina Drumworks birdseye maple steambent snare drum with walnut re-rings

14 x 6.5 Pearl Eric Singer Signature snare drum, 10 ply, thick shelled maple drum

14 x 6.5 Oriollo seamless raw brass snare drum

14 x 7 Guru Paduak segmented snare drum

14 x 6.5 Pork Pie seamed aluminum snare drum

All snares have 10 lugs except the Pork Pie.

As much as it pains me to say it, to my ear, in a recording situation, the Pork Pie sounds best IMO, judging by the recorded output, with the Paduak 2nd and the Carolina 3rd. Then the Oriollo, then the Pearl. The Paduak was my favorite recorded drum before the Pork Pie. The aluminum 8 lug shell is a winner. And it's not even seamless! I really believe that if all my snares were 8 lug drums, I would like them better than the 10 lug versions. So it's a bittersweet revelation, but a revelation nonetheless.

Recording has totally flipped how I set drums up. Porting, laundry, OMG moon gels for crying out loud, who is this person in the mirror? I had an aversion to metal snares live but for recording I'm digging them. Everything I don't prefer live....sounds great in my studio. So it's an exercise in opposites in a lot of ways. I still like my live open tom and snare sound, but I'm trying a sheet inside my unported bass drum because I think a muffled kick tone works better with the music I am playing in my current bands.

Just when you think you're getting a handle on some stuff, something comes along and throws a wrench in the monkey works right?

Anyone with a preference for 8 lug snares, here's your chance to blather on :)
Old 02-01-2019, 03:33 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: The 8 lug snare drum

Thanks for posting your shoot out. Iíve only been playing 8 lug drums for the past 7 or 8 years. 10 lug drums are great, but I find them fiddly to tune, and I like having a space between the lugs for backbeats, which is more difficult to get with more lugs on the drum.

IĒm not surprised to hear how well the Pork Pie did - aluminum is a great shell material - even if itís not seamless.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:39 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I'm starting to question the whole seamless thing. I'm not buying it anymore. I've played wonderful sounding seamed brass drums. Now aluminum.

I have no problem tuning a 10 lug drum, but I like the open tone of an 8 lugger.

A 10 lug drum sounds a little choked to me now. In the studio. Live it's not an issue.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Well first of all, I have always thought that getting drums to sound the way you want is a big pain in the butt. You can't change the sound of a drum on the fly like an electric guitar. And a trumpet and a saxophone always sound like a trumpet and a saxophone. Drums are unlike almost all other musical instruments. The room they are in has a huge affect on the sound of the drums. Setting up drums for a recording situation is totally different than a live band situation. Searching for that perfect drum sound is simply just one big pain in the butt.

I have 10 lug, 8 lug and 6 lug snare drums. They all sound different. I love them all.
I have a 6 lug 1964 Slingerland that I just love the sound of. It is great for playing the blues, but it sounds weak for loud rock and roll.

Old 02-01-2019, 03:46 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I'm starting to question the whole seamless thing. I'm not buying it anymore. I've played wonderful sounding seamed brass drums. Now aluminum.

I have no problem tuning a 10 lug drum, but I like the open tone of an 8 lugger.

A 10 lug drum sounds a little choked to me now. In the studio. Live it's not an issue.
Honestly, I haven't owned an 8 lug snare in a very long time. That was an old Ludwig Acrolite... great drum though. This comment almost makes me want to find a quality 8 lugger to try out especially since I don't know if I'm all that happy with the snares I have right now.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Recording has definitely brought in a whole different way of thinking to my daily tinkerings too. I donít have an 8 lug snare. I donít think Iíd like it on my bronze, but the aluminum definitely has room for less lugs. Sounds great as a 10, but I can see how 8 would open it up even more, but Iím talking cast aluminum. I just may now look for an 8 lug sheet aluminum one for the the added soace between the two snares.

Back to the recording thing, itís amazing what mics hear and donít hear. I have one cymbal I for the most part like, but under mics, it has a run away high pitched shrill I canít EQ out, without killing my other cymbals. It is the one I referenced in the Sabian Logo thread and how they no longer offer thinning services. Itís still a great cymbal for live, at least assuming the mics donít pickup that same run away tone. Wasnít much of an issue before recording, but with mics, itís just plain powerful and annoying. Yup, there a whole forest to discover with recording and things definitely donít remain the same. Thatís a good thing. :)
Old 02-01-2019, 04:42 PM
Pioneer Member

It might not have anything to do with the lugs. Just the fact that it is aluminum.
Great sounding drums.Borrow a Supra and record it, Then you'll know.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:37 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I had an 8 lug acrolite that I had forgotten about, 14 x 5, 8 lug. I just couldn't get along with it.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:32 PM
Platinum Member

I have been really feeling the 8-lug-love lately. I have a Tempus and a 6.5" stainless steel Dunnett that are both 8 lug. It's probably the construction and design as well but I love how big and open they sound. Been playing a lot of short rimshots lately, probably been all that Banda music I listen to.

I also have a 402 Supra but my ears prefer the open sound of the Dunnett.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 02-01-2019, 06:40 PM

I have one, and like many on here it is an old Acro. I'm not so trained to tell if it's more "wide open" than its 10 lug counterparts, but I do appreciate that it's a bit easier to keep track of the star pattern when tuning... the one drawback is that I hang my stick bag from the snare and it makes positioning of the hooks a bit tricky...
Old 02-01-2019, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
And a trumpet and a saxophone always sound like a trumpet and a saxophone.
Wow. No. As a trumpet player, I can tell you that a trumpet has great variance in tone and sound depending on the horn itself, the bell material, the mouthpiece, and of course, the player.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
Wow. No. As a trumpet player, I can tell you that a trumpet has great variance in tone and sound depending on the horn itself, the bell material, the mouthpiece, and of course, the player.
As a saxophone player I can attest to the exact same thing with saxophones. Adding in various reeds as well. For example I have two saxophones that are the same manufacturer and similar models, one is brass with clear lacquer and the other is brass with black nickel plating. They sound different and on top of that, I have a separate neck that is silver plated and it changes the sound even more.

Quote:
Well first of all, I have always thought that getting drums to sound the way you want is a big pain in the butt. You can't change the sound of a drum on the fly like an electric guitar. And a trumpet and a saxophone always sound like a trumpet and a saxophone. Drums are unlike almost all other musical instruments. The room they are in has a huge affect on the sound of the drums. Setting up drums for a recording situation is totally different than a live band situation. Searching for that perfect drum sound is simply just one big pain in the butt.
To use that logic a drum always sounds like a drum.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:06 PM
Silver Member

I recently got a Tama SLP Aluminium 14x5.5 - it is the first time I have bought an 8 lug snare. I like it a lot, it is fast becoming my favourite snare.

Last edited by Bonzo_CR; 02-02-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:55 PM
Silver Member

To get back to the subject of the thread, 8 lug vs 10 lug snares, I know that the lug count is supposed to be an indicator of quality - supposedly 10 lugs is better than 8, but I think that it is mostly a marketing thing and a way to differentiate between prices points for the manufacturers.

In discussions I've been a part of in the past, some like to make a point that a 10 lug snare can be tightened further than an 8 lug snare. That may be true, but I've never been the guy who cranks up a kit snare so tight that I can't get the job done with 8 lugs.

I've always put 10 lugs on my DIY snare projects, but in hindsight, I'm not sure I needed to. I've had issues with having a 10 lug snare feeling choked, but never with an 8 lugger.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
As a saxophone player I can attest to the exact same thing with saxophones. Adding in various reeds as well. For example I have two saxophones that are the same manufacturer and similar models, one is brass with clear lacquer and the other is brass with black nickel plating. They sound different and on top of that, I have a separate neck that is silver plated and it changes the sound even more.
Yes I expected some feedback on my trumpet saxophone comment. I meant to say there are not as many variables in trying to get the sound you want with other instruments as compared to drums. And the resulting sound from other instruments is more to do with how you play it. (But I could be wrong)

It's just that I have spent a lot of years chasing after "my sound". And darn it, they keep inventing new drum things that make it even more elusive.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
And a trumpet and a saxophone always sound like a trumpet and a saxophone.
I'm married to a trumpet player, come to think of it I think you have met my wife at that biker bar jam, and there a still a lot of nuances to their tone. Granted, they're not as gear obsessed as we drummers because their gear is compact and much more expensive but there is still fiddling and fidgeting going on same as we do.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 02-01-2019, 09:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Yes I expected some feedback on my trumpet saxophone comment. I meant to say there are not as many variables in trying to get the sound you want with other instruments as compared to drums. And the resulting sound from other instruments is more to do with how you play it. (But I could be wrong)

It's just that I have spent a lot of years chasing after "my sound". And darn it, they keep inventing new drum things that make it even more elusive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
I'm married to a trumpet player, come to think of it I think you have met my wife at that biker bar jam, and there a still a lot of nuances to their tone. Granted, they're not as gear obsessed as we drummers because their gear is compact and much more expensive but there is still fiddling and fidgeting going on same as we do.
I can't speak to Trumpet players, but there are a lot of saxophone players that are just as gear obsessed. In fact a lot of what we talk about on here, there's saxophone forums speaking about similar things. What is the best case to get, what is the best mouthpiece, is X expensive mouthpiece that better than the cheap one, which reeds are better, what brand do you like, what neck-strap can I get to alleviate weight, etc. etc. etc.

Yes like Red Menace says, sometimes the questions are even more important because things can be much more expensive in that world.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
Yes like Red Menace says, sometimes the questions are even more important because things can be much more expensive in that world.
It might more be a reflection of her personality and where she is at in her playing vs me but my wife has owned the same 3 (including a cheapie pocket trumpet that she never plays) trumpets since I met her. Of these, she gigs and records with only one. I OTOH, have gone through enough gear to supply a large music store. Part of that may be in search for my sound but mostly is has just been me and my hobby. It's fun to get a deal on a new snare and they get to take it to a gig. I can't remember who said it here but it has become one of my sayings "It's not about owning all the toys in the world, it's about getting to play with all the toys."

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 02-01-2019, 09:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
It might more be a reflection of her personality and where she is at in her playing vs me but my wife has owned the same 3 (including a cheapie pocket trumpet that she never plays) trumpets since I met her. Of these, she gigs and records with only one. I OTOH, have gone through enough gear to supply a large music store. Part of that may be in search for my sound but mostly is has just been me and my hobby. It's fun to get a deal on a new snare and they get to take it to a gig. I can't remember who said it here but it has become one of my sayings "It's not about owning all the toys in the world, it's about getting to play with all the toys."
It depends on the person. I know plenty of musicians of all kinds (drums, sax, etc) that have what they have and it works, they don't care what else is out there. On the other hand, I'm the same with pretty much everything I play, Sax, Bass, or Drums. I'm just always trying to find the sound that I have in my head, so I'm always a bit of a gear nut.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:37 PM

My three main snares are a Supraphonic (10 lug) Acrolite (8 lug) and a Gretsch USA G4160 COB with die cast lugs (8). They are all very different in the way they sound but the Acrolite and the Gretsch are so much easier to tune. The Supraphonic takes some fiddling but when you hit the sweet spot there's nothing like it. Hats off to my Premier Hi Fi as well which is also a COB with it's own voice. 10 lugs vs 8? Pick um...I don't think it really matters much.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

I've owned 6, 8, 10, and 12 lug snares as it happens. Each has/had their own charms, and in each case the lug count is/was part of the essential character of the drum. I never have chosen or rejected a drum based on lug count alone, but more on what it offered - or didn't - sonically.

I'm looking forward to buying a 6-lug Ludwig Pioneer to replace my first-ever snare someday; I'm also keenly interested in an LM402 someday.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

What an honest observation Larry. All those expensive drums and the PP comes out on top.
Been playing an 8 lug 1950's Radio King for the last year (changed from a Supra)
10 to 8 really opens a drum up, but its not for everybody. I'd say 8 is a more 'wild' sound. 8 lugs is all the difference in sound an Acro gives, which some prefer over its 10 lug cousin the Supra.
But seamed or not. I don't get it. Can anybody really hear a difference?

Last edited by opentune; 02-03-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Larry, if I put 8 lugs on that padauk, I guarantee you wouldn't notice the difference, because the change in mass is miniscule. I know, I've tried it. That's because the hardware mass is ultra lightweight. Other drums with standard hardware however = yes, there's a difference. It's not a number of tension points thing, it's a mass thing.

Although an open or closed aspect may well sound better in your recordings, it's probably got more to do with what suits the recording space than anything else. Try the same comparison in a different environment, & it will likely affect your perception / result. That's the beauty of the interaction of an acoustic instrument :)
Old 02-02-2019, 12:42 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
I've owned 6, 8, 10, and 12 lug snares as it happens. Each has/had their own charms, and in each case the lug count is/was part of the essential character of the drum. I never have chosen or rejected a drum based on lug count alone, but more on what it offered - or didn't - sonically.
For years I had been told to not get anything but 10 lug drums so I avoided 8 lug drums like the plague.

Now I own a number of 8 lug snares and they are wonderful. Long story short, trust your builder to build
it the way it needs to be built and trust your ears for how it sounds.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Other drums with standard hardware however = yes, there's a difference. It's not a number of tension points thing, it's a mass thing.
I was tuning the Dunnett the other day and wondering about the hardware. He went with this thin shell and less lugs, presumably with the purpose of a more open sounding drum then clamps these heavy tube lugs to the thing.

I was toying around with the idea of changing them out for some aluminum lugs, I like the ones Champagne Drums makes.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 02-02-2019, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I was tuning the Dunnett the other day and wondering about the hardware. He went with this thin shell and less lugs, presumably with the purpose of a more open sounding drum then clamps these heavy tube lugs to the thing.

I was toying around with the idea of changing them out for some aluminum lugs, I like the ones Champagne Drums makes.
if you want a more open aspect, that's an option, but beware, you might get more of what you don't want added to more of what you do want. A good builder (rare - most are more concerned with more surface considerations) will judge the hardware mass to get optimal results. Sometimes, adding mass is a beneficial thing, sometimes not.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
What an host observation Larry. All those expensive drums and the PP comes out on top.

Been playing an 8 lug 1950's Radio King for the last year (changed from a Supra)
10 to 8 really opens a drum up, but its not for everybody. I'd say 8 is a more 'wild' sound. 8 lugs is all the difference in sound an Acro gives, which some prefer over its 10 lug cousin the Supra.

But seamed or not. I don't get it. Can anybody really hear a difference?
I suspect seamless drums are a little more sensitive and sound better at low volumes, but Iíve never done a side-by-side.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting thread-thanks for starting the conversation Larry. I find some irony that a 6, 8 or 10 lug snare gets all kind of love but mention a 6 lug floor tom and it's doodoo. Since we got "experts" on here does the mass of the lugs have an impact on a metal shell or is it just wood snares that is an issue?
Old 02-02-2019, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

I contend it's because the snare is alumin(i)um and for no other reason that it sounds so good.

Aluminum is awesome.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:18 AM
Gold Member

I am a recent convert to the 8 lug snare .
I currently own three 8 lug snares.
14 x 6Ē Noble and Cooley Walnut SS
14 x 6.5Ē Noble and Cooley Walnut Horizontal ply
14 x 6.5Ē INDe Seamless Brushed Aluminum.

These three snares do the majority of the gigs I play these days.
The 8 lug snares have a unique fell when I play that really appeals to me.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyY View Post
I contend it's because the snare is alumin(i)um and for no other reason that it sounds so good.

Aluminum is awesome.
Right on. I think the Ludwig Supraphonic proved this over the last 50 years.

Old 02-03-2019, 02:13 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyY View Post

Aluminum is awesome.
I agree, the aluminum is the main ingredient, but the 8 lugs...I notice a big difference. Each lug has to be like 20% tighter or so to get the same note as on a 10 lug drum. I may not get another 10 lug snare again. I have enough of them. But I'm liking the new 8 lug aluminum a lot for recording in my studio.

It's cool that I can still find things like this that still excite me.

I still like my wood drums for live. They have more O-tones, which I go for live. I liked my former 14 x 6.5 Supra a lot in my studio. Live? Not my cup of tea. It wasn't lively enough.

I had a 14 x 5 Acro that I didn't like in my studio or anywhere else for that matter. Aluminum 8 lug drum, just shallower. I really did not like anything about it. Which doesn't make sense to me.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I had a 14 x 5 Acro that I didn't like in my studio or anywhere else for that matter. Aluminum 8 lug drum, just shallower. I really did not like anything about it. Which doesn't make sense to me.
What version of Acro did you have? FWIW, I've played Acros and Blacros (probably from the 70's / 80's) and didn't get on too well with them. However, I bought a late 60's Acro and I'll never part with it. Beautiful sounding drum :)

Also have a 6.5" Limited Edition Acro (10 lug) and it's wonderful, too.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:36 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
What version of Acro did you have? FWIW, I've played Acros and Blacros (probably from the 70's / 80's) and didn't get on too well with them. However, I bought a late 60's Acro and I'll never part with it. Beautiful sounding drum :)

Also have a 6.5" Limited Edition Acro (10 lug) and it's wonderful, too.
That's the thing, it was a 67. I heard great things about the that era Acro. I also had a 10 lug NY education special order reissue 14 x 6.5 Acro that I wasn't that fond of either. I like my same sized Supra better. I sold the Acro to Karl Crafton. I wonder if he held on to it.

I think the 14 x 6.5 8 lug aluminum shell is the ticket I'm looking for. I already have one and I like it for recording so much that I'm curious about other companies aluminum 8 lug offerings.

Recommendations welcome. 14 x 6.5 - 8 lug aluminum.

I'm trying to find some online somewhere. An 8 lug aluminum snare drum search doesn't return me much of what I ask for. How many drum companies sell their snare drums by lug count, right?
Old 02-06-2019, 01:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's the thing, it was a 67. I heard great things about the that era Acro. I also had a 10 lug NY education special order reissue 14 x 6.5 Acro that I wasn't that fond of either. I like my same sized Supra better. I sold the Acro to Karl Crafton. I wonder if he held on to it.

I think the 14 x 6.5 8 lug aluminum shell is the ticket I'm looking for. I already have one and I like it for recording so much that I'm curious about other companies aluminum 8 lug offerings.

I'm trying to find some online somewhere. An 8 lug aluminum snare drum search doesn't return me much of what I ask for. How many drum companies sell their snare drums by lug count, right?
Oriollo Phantom, look them up on YouTube. I have two copper Oriollos, but their aluminum drums sound great and weight almost nothing. Theyíre made to order, so you can get whatever lug count.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:52 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
Oriollo Phantom, look them up on YouTube. I have two copper Oriollos, but their aluminum drums sound great and weight almost nothing. They’re made to order, so you can get whatever lug count.
Damn I just got a brass one with 10 lugs about a month ago. I would trade it for an aluminum 8 in an eyeblink. I was hoping to not have to go the custom route again. Joyful Noise has one too. I really want to keep it under 500. I'll price one with Vukan to see what he says.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:23 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

Larry, pretty sure this might not even fall within the scope of your budget for a used model, but have you checked out the Dunnett 2N Modeling Aluminum snare?
Old 02-06-2019, 02:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Damn I just got a brass one with 10 lugs about a month ago. I would trade it for an aluminum 8 in an eyeblink. I was hoping to not have to go the custom route again. Joyful Noise has one too. I really want to keep it under 500. I'll price one with Vukan to see what he says.
A 10-lug brass? What size? Iíve got a Black Beauty Iíve been meaning to trade in for an Oriollo brass. I could sell it and buy your Oriollo brass, how about that?
Old 02-06-2019, 03:11 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push pull stroke View Post
A 10-lug brass? What size? Iíve got a Black Beauty Iíve been meaning to trade in for an Oriollo brass. I could sell it and buy your Oriollo brass, how about that?
OK you got a deal. I got the raw finish. 14 x 6.5, 10 lug. I put 20 strand Puresound brass wires on it, a collarless Remo snare side, and it came with a coated G1 on it. It has a nice honk.

I paid 750 for it a month ago. Make me an offer.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
OK you got a deal. I got the raw finish. 14 x 6.5, 10 lug. I put 20 strand Puresound brass wires on it, a collarless Remo snare side, and it came with a coated G1 on it. It has a nice honk.

I paid 750 for it a month ago. Make me an offer.
$625 plus shipping. Iím pretty sure I can unload the BB for around that.