DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Get better Andy!

Thanks Larry for sharing Any's words. I don't know Andy that well but it seems pretty clear that this is a man who knows a thing or two about taking on difficult challenges in life.

Andy, the pic looks great; looked even better when you mentioned the progress you've noticed in just a week's time.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
I may be overstepping my bounds, but what the hell. I am making this thread a sticky, and proclaiming 7/11, Andy Crosby Day, on the Drummerworld forum.
I don't think anyone is more loved, respected, or looked up to than Andy.
All the best to you Sir for a speedy recovery and happy life. what you think you may have lost has been passed on to others. So July Eleven is hereby proclaimed Andy Crosby Day.
I support your proclamation, Mr. Mayor. Andy Crosby Day it is!
Old 07-11-2018, 05:00 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleeeeen View Post
I support your proclamation, Mr. Mayor. Andy Crosby Day it is!
Seconded. What a great idea John. 7/11. Perfect.

I'm notifying Hallmark immediately.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Andy Day-it's a Dandy day. I like that-great idea Gruntersdad! I love the outpouring and support of the DW community-great bunch of people. Thanks Larry for sharing Andy's message-you are a true friend and Andy is fortunate to have you and to be so loved and respected.
Andy I can't imagine what was going through your mind those first few hours-days sound scary and one of those your flashes before your eyes moment. So thankful you are recovering and your positive attitude. Glad to see an epiphany and a reset too-you got a loving family who needs you so despite your best efforts to work yourself to death you got to suck it up and slow down-I can give you lessons-for free. I've never seen a pic of you that you weren't smiling-so I almost didn't recognize you LOL. Rest, drop any drum making, and just do drums therapeutically when you are up to it. Man I hate you have to cancel your dream trip-sounds like you and your loverly spouse were really looking forward to it. So you'll just have to punt for today and set for a future date and add another week to your stay ;) The best of all possible worlds.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:33 AM
Platinum Member

Andy, congrats on the new family addition! Grandpa Andy it is!
Old 07-12-2018, 02:08 AM
Platinum Member

Wow Andy you're going to be a Granddad I know you are ecstatic!! I didn't pick up on that in Larry's post-silly me. Great news for you and yours. I too am having my first granddaughter and I am beside myself with joy. We are the luckiest men on earth.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:24 PM
Gold Member

Pic doesn't look too bad! You look just as handso...just as attracti...you like just like you always did. This was all very disrespectful to the DW community, I dont want to give you a hard time after an event like this, but this behavior will not be tolerated again. Yea yea, your health and family and all that blah blah but you have a real responsibility to us, one that trumps (sorry about this word) all others. Get it together man! You get a pass this time, but cut the crap.

All for 7/11 national holiday, GLOBAL holiday
Old 07-12-2018, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Guys,

thank you again for your super kind thoughts = really appreciated, but I feel a little awkward / undeserving with the 7/11 & sticky thing. I'm just another forum member who had a tough week.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Guys,

thank you again for your super kind thoughts = really appreciated, but I feel a little awkward / undeserving with the 7/11 & sticky thing. I'm just another forum member who had a tough week.
That's your perspective, but not ours, Andy.

The best part about places like this is that we can come to truly care about one another. This is part of how we try to show that you're important to us around here. You can't go around being a nice guy and doing nice things without people eventually noticing, and you're not personally exempt.

You'll take your adoration and you'll like it.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post

The best part about places like this is that we can come to truly care about one another. This is part of how we try to show that you're important to us around here. You can't go around being a nice guy and doing nice things without people eventually noticing, and you're not personally exempt.

Doctors orders!

Er, what he said.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:48 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Andy, blame me for the 7/11 day idea, but true to character, you consider a stroke, a life threatening, often debilitating event, just a tough week. I'm sure, pretty sure, that one day down the road, you will prove to us all that you are just a mortal man. But I'm betting you won't. Have a great day.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member

Andy.

Well-wishes. Stay strong, and may your health steadily improve.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
you are just a mortal man
Mortality well & truly tested Grunt :(

Update - my sticking is getting a bit better on the pad (first time I've done any pad work in years). Short sessions (10 min's max), but seems to be working slowly. My left was never good, but it's taken a step back from barely mediocre to downright sloppy.

Although gigs are cancelled, I have my first rehearsal this coming Tuesday. It will be a gentle introduction back, & the band are being super accommodating / supportive.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Update - my sticking is getting a bit better on the pad (first time I've done any pad work in years). Short sessions (10 min's max), but seems to be working slowly. My left was never good, but it's taken a step back from barely mediocre to downright sloppy.

Although gigs are cancelled, I have my first rehearsal this coming Tuesday. It will be a gentle introduction back, & the band are being super accommodating / supportive.
Great to hear Andy. Frustrating I know, but this is sure to be another success story for the Drumming Therapy thread. :D
Old 07-15-2018, 03:42 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Hey Andy,

On one hand, I'm relieved that you are actually able to go out and rehearse. That's pretty big. So that's a positive.

On the other hand you have to regain some former abilities....but at least you're here to do that, which is net positive.

But as the person who is actually going through this, and not having ever experienced anything like that, I'll never know what it really feels like.

All I can say is you're one tough Englishman. I mean how many people survive a brain stem stroke?

Maybe take up golfing? Try and knock some strokes off your score?

They say laughter is the best medicine.

I'm getting Dr. Watso to write me a script prescribing ME as your thrice daily dose of laughter.

Just to get in the spirit of things, I shall mail myself inside of a giant prescription bottle that you unwrap in your home.

I know you'd prefer dancing girls.

I can try to dance for you :)
Old 07-15-2018, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Just to get in the spirit of things, I shall mail myself inside of a giant prescription bottle that you unwrap in your home.

I know you'd prefer dancing girls.

I can try to dance for you :)
Larry has done this for me several times and his dancing is actually quite good. But it does cost a little extra if you want him to wear a bikini.

Andy - Happy to know about your upcoming rehearsal. As I recall, the human brain has a capacity for plasticity where healthy regions can be recruited to take over the work formerly done by damaged regions. Please keep us posted.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:00 PM

I read quite a bit on this forum in my spare time, but only post occasionally. I don't have the personal relationships with other forum members that many of you exhibit. I find this forum to stand out in that regard; sometimes drums and drumming take a back seat to the comraderie on here. Truly a group of characters on here!

I had a question a few weeks back that I thought Andy would be the most qualified to answer. So, I sent him a PM, thinking "he doesn't know me, will probably just delete my message, or he's just too busy to answer". Well, I was wrong. This very busy man was gracious enough to take the time to answer me, practically a complete stranger, and offer me a bit of his considerable knowledge. I really appreciated him answering my questions; I have nothing to offer back but a sincere thank you to you, Andy, and that I truly hope you're on the comeback trail. Best wishes, always.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:00 PM
Gold Member

Thats wonderful, thanks for popping in and sharing that with us. I was a several year lurker, then decided, oh well sorry everyone, you gotta deal with me now and the fellas and ladies around here are so great! Chime in anytime, your pals are here, or just read along. Its a nice place, guys like Andy make it special, and hey guys like you and me too.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gish View Post
I had a question a few weeks back that I thought Andy would be the most qualified to answer. So, I sent him a PM, thinking "he doesn't know me, will probably just delete my message, or he's just too busy to answer". Well, I was wrong. This very busy man was gracious enough to take the time to answer me, practically a complete stranger, and offer me a bit of his considerable knowledge. I really appreciated him answering my questions; I have nothing to offer back but a sincere thank you to you, Andy, and that I truly hope you're on the comeback trail. Best wishes, always.
Same here. Andy is a walking encyclopedia and I cannot thank him enough for taking time to impart some of his knowledge to me in understanding drum construction and physics.

I wish there was a way we could bottle Andy's work ethic and professionalism and sell it on the open market. He has certainly set the bar high in both of those departments.

In my book, Andy and Guru drums are the best export to come out of Great Britain since the Beatles.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:45 PM

Man! I'm WAY late in seeing this and I deeply apologize! Andy, I pray that you get better quickly!!!
Phil. 4:13; Jer. 29:11
Old 07-16-2018, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member

Just want to say that Andy is very strong and you are all great for being supportive.

Do something nice for someone today and expect nothing. Be a positive force on the world.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
My left was never good, but it's taken a step back from barely mediocre to downright sloppy.
I just had private lessons with Claus Hessler yesterday, for the fourth time or so.
If you're interested in asking anything technical (or anything music, or life in
general :) ), and if you happen to think that could be a motivational thing to you,
I highly, highly recommend Claus if he should be near you anytime! He has unreal
technical abilities, he's a phenomenal drummer, a living encyclopedia and a great
human being!
Old 07-16-2018, 08:13 PM

Wow, I've never met Andy and only know him superficially through these message boards, but I read everything he writes and truly enjoy his insights and attitude. Plus, he's a fantastic drummer, as anyone who's seen his videos can attest.

Get well soon! You're one of the guys that make this place what it is.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Thank you all again for your support & routes to inspiration. Motivation & confidence are two things that haven't suffered. I'm even more determined to get stuff done, but also more focussed in my efforts in greater consciousness of my finite capacity.

First rehearsal back tonight, & I'm taking it easy. Left hand has improved a little more in recent days, but I'm also suffering mild overall stiffness on top of fatigue. Fatigue I get under the circumstances, but I'm monitoring the muscle stiffness thing because that's potentially a side affect of the statins I'm now consuming, & I'm not fully sold on the statin thing anyhow. Going into this, I had a cholesterol count of 4, & an average BP of 116/76.

For now, I'm doing exactly as my doctors tell me, but I'm predisposed to rebellion. Family are on standby expecting the usual Andy issues to emerge.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
For now, I'm doing exactly as my doctors tell me, but I'm predisposed to rebellion. Family are on standby expecting the usual Andy issues to emerge.
My undoubtedly better half is currently recovering from major surgery and she too has this rebellious streak that forces her to do too much too soon...just take it easy and allow yourself to get better at your own pace my friend - no point taking giant steps forward to only take even bigger ones back.
Make sure your band mates do ALL the humping and bumping at rehearsals!!
Old 07-19-2018, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Oh phew - I knew that if sheer bloody-mindedness had anything to do with it, you'd make a remarkable recovery. And when you think about it, practice-pad work is probably the least painful physiotherapy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Not to steal a thread, but ...

Last weekend I went to mow my Up-North property (above the 45th Parallel) and I got bit by a bug on my ankle. My wife says it looks like a spider bite ("It has a hole in it.")

It really itches!!! But I'm not feeling any love here on DW. Why does it always have to be Miss Madgenta, or Uncle Larry, or Dr Watso, or GAgrippa, or KIS, or PollyAnna or 'you know who you are?' What about me?!?

Scratching. Smoke out.

;o)
Scratch it, and keep on scratching it until it disgorges all its 'orribleness :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post

^^^ What he said.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 07-20-2018, 01:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEF View Post
allow yourself to get better at your own pace my friend -
That's the issue - my pace ;)

Band are super accommodating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
practice-pad work is probably the least painful physiotherapy!
No - it's painful alright = sounds like 5h17!!!

BTW, for those who missed it, this is the very first go around for me since the stroke. We all listened through to a new (to us) simple track to ease me in, then jammed it for the first time. I recorded these first steps for my own reference as much as anything else. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twH4WPk3Tdo
Old 07-20-2018, 01:47 AM
Silver Member

It will come back. Just take time to heal , adapt and overcome where needed. Your band is a great bunch of friends. I , and I am sure EVERYONE, are just glad you are still with us. Drums or no drums, this world needs Andy.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:21 AM
Platinum Member

Too soon for jokes?

Cause if Andy had spent more time on Moeller, he would have had a double stroke!

Best wishes and lots of love.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Thank you all again for your support & routes to inspiration. Motivation & confidence are two things that haven't suffered. I'm even more determined to get stuff done, but also more focussed in my efforts in greater consciousness of my finite capacity.

First rehearsal back tonight, & I'm taking it easy. Left hand has improved a little more in recent days, but I'm also suffering mild overall stiffness on top of fatigue. Fatigue I get under the circumstances, but I'm monitoring the muscle stiffness thing because that's potentially a side affect of the statins I'm now consuming, & I'm not fully sold on the statin thing anyhow. Going into this, I had a cholesterol count of 4, & an average BP of 116/76.

Hope you feel better soon. Please take care
Old 07-27-2018, 04:19 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
That's the issue - my pace ;)

Band are super accommodating.

No - it's painful alright = sounds like 5h17!!!

BTW, for those who missed it, this is the very first go around for me since the stroke. We all listened through to a new (to us) simple track to ease me in, then jammed it for the first time. I recorded these first steps for my own reference as much as anything else. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twH4WPk3Tdo
I would take this to your next Doctor visit.
Old 07-28-2018, 05:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

Awesome to see you’re doing much better Andy!

I think drumming would be an almost ideal therapy - starting gently of course.
There’s a physical side of drumming, it challenges the brain and diverts the attention from any negative thoughts there might be.

Warm regards

Jorn
Old 08-05-2018, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Thank you again guys for your support - it helps hugely. I still have good & not so good days, but the overall direction is positive.

I'm now cleared to drive again, & that's another step back to a routine that helps me move forward.

As for my playing, I think that will be a slow process, but I'm 95%+ there already. I'm not going to consciously try to improve my left anymore, just enjoy making music & hope it decides to come along for the ride. Easy to get hung up on stuff.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm now cleared to drive again, & that's another step back to a routine that helps me move forward.

As for my playing, I think that will be a slow process, but I'm 95%+ there already.
Really glad to hear about these developments Andy.

Quote:
...just enjoy making music & hope it decides to come along for the ride. Easy to get hung up on stuff.
This is good for me to read. Super easy for me to get hung up on "stuff" instead of just loitering (intentionally) in the enjoyment of it all.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:00 PM
Gold Member

Thats wonderful news Andy! F stressing over your left or your hi hat barks or swiss triplets or whatever and just enjoy life and enjoy playing and a big FU to that nasty thing thats behind you!!
Old 08-09-2018, 04:03 PM

May Andy get well soon, best wishes for him.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:24 AM
Renegade

I haven't been here for some time and missed this. Sorry Andy, sorry to hear about this as you are an excellent human being! That must have been a frightening time for you and fam.

Are you expected to get back all capabilities or will you have to permanently limit your (pretty outrageously industrious) activity? I guess with age that is always just a matter of when.

Good luck and stay healthy, you mad Pom!
Old 08-27-2018, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Thank you all again for your kind thoughts guys - really appreciated.

I have had a bit of a setback over recent days, but I was warned this was a possibility, & all seems to be good. It's a journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Are you expected to get back all capabilities or will you have to permanently limit your (pretty outrageously industrious) activity? I guess with age that is always just a matter of when.

Good luck and stay healthy, you mad Pom!
Thanks Grea, & so good to hear from you :)

If all keeps on track, I should get back to full function. I'm 95% there now, & honestly, if it doesn't get better than this (but more stable), I'll count that as a great result under the circumstances.

Even though this event was completely non lifestyle related, I am in the process of making changes. My days of believing I'm bombproof ended a couple of decades ago, but my silly work ethic has encouraged me to push the boundaries, probably more often than I should.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:01 AM
Silver Member

Andy, I've been away for a while and am just now finding out all this. I hate that this happened to you but I'm so very relieved it wasn't worse than it could have been and that your on the mend. Thoughts and prayers are with you my friend.
Old 08-31-2018, 01:04 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Thank you all again for your kind thoughts guys - really appreciated.

I have had a bit of a setback over recent days, but I was warned this was a possibility, & all seems to be good. It's a journey.

Thanks Grea, & so good to hear from you :)

If all keeps on track, I should get back to full function. I'm 95% there now, & honestly, if it doesn't get better than this (but more stable), I'll count that as a great result under the circumstances.

Even though this event was completely non lifestyle related, I am in the process of making changes. My days of believing I'm bombproof ended a couple of decades ago, but my silly work ethic has encouraged me to push the boundaries, probably more often than I should.

Stoked that your recovery is going well, Andy! Shame that Guru is winding up but I guess the time has come for you to assume merely human workloads so your body has a chance to heal whatever it's dealing with behind the scenes.

Are you still going to play? As in just playing without the extra workload?