DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

Default The worst drum /cymbal purchase you ever made

Ok gear heads, I have made some pretty terrible drum related purchases in the past. Here are my best of the worst.

1) Zildjian earth ride, that thing just ate sticks and had one sound - sold on

2) Ludwig Supraphonic, heard all the accolades but was very disappointed - sold on

3) 19 A custom crash, bought unheard, had this peculiar high overtone was odd - swapped

4) full set of Octobans, actually a whole lot of fun but soon went from gigging with 8 to 4 to 2 and then to not using them. Sold but wish I had em now

Those were mine but what were your worst purchases
Old 05-13-2014, 11:07 PM

Default Re: The worst drum /cymbal purchase you ever made

1) I purchased a Zildian K Custom 22" Hi Def Ride and it sounded great! I cracked it about two weeks later (donno why). Turns out after I sent it too Zildjian the thing wasn't properly made or something so they sent me a new one, and its was really really heavy, so heavy that it had no crash qualities at all and just sounded like a thick piece of metal. So, after a few months of trying to fall in love with it I just sold it.

2) I purchased a 5.5x14 Nickle over Brass snare from DW. This thing had sooooo much overtones that I could't control. I tired tons of different heads and sticks and tuning techniques and finally I gave up and sold it as well.

That's all for me....for now
Old 05-13-2014, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

The Zildjian Cymbal Microphone set. Complete pain to deal with.

Zildjian 14" / 12" Trash Hats. Just hated them from the start.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:21 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

In 1984, I bought a brand new Sonor Phonic Plus kit - snare, stands & pedals, everything - for about $1500. They were the worst drums I've ever owned, and easily one of the worst kits I've ever played. Even the metal (steel?) snare sounded miserable. Every drum choked. Heavy shells, heavy hardware, I guess I should have known, but the Sonor. reputation got the best of me.

Bought them in late-May, struggled with the sound for a short while, and by August I was already looking for different drums.

Less than 2 years later, I pulled them out of storage and traded them for a Syndrum Quad new in box, which I still own and used not long ago:

:)

Bermuda
Old 05-14-2014, 01:31 AM
Gold Member

Hmmmmm.... I think....

First, a tama birch/basswood snare. Bought it as an impulse buy, never really used it.

second, dw 8" piccolo tom. It was cool the first few days. Hated after that.

third, dw 8" eco-x tom. Decided to order one. Once I got it, it was slightly lighter in color and never really used it much.

fourth, sabian xs20 cymbal set. Was happy with it for a few months until I heard some A customs and bought a box set. Should of just waited a bit longer and went straight to the zildjians.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:53 AM
Platinum Member

18" A Zildjian Rock crash. Like a manhole cover. I never bought a crash that heavy ever again.

18" Wuhan china. I owned a 20" LP Rancan (essentially a Wuhan), and a 14" Wuhan, and still have (and love) them both. The 18" was a deep gongy bowl. So glad it's gone.

For almost thirty years of drumming, that's a thankfully short list!
Old 05-14-2014, 02:11 AM

I got some crazy heavy clangy K/Z hats in the 90s I hated. Runner up was my too heavy A Custom projection ride.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:12 AM
Gold Member

A 6", 8", and 10" set of rototoms.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:14 AM

I had a Pork Pie Little Squealer that I really couldn't find a use for. Ended up trading it for a Boss guitar tuner pedal (which I still use).
Old 05-14-2014, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
That is one cool workspace. The land line, the TDK cassettes, keyboard shoved out of the way to make room for the drum brain....it warms my heart.

My own music production rig occupies the far end of my dining room table.

OB bad purchase content: haven't made any real crappy regret-tinged purchases; most of it has been just the result of trying out things on the way to finding out what I really like.

I guess I've been most disappointed by damped snare batters. I use coated Ambassadors or the Aquarian or Evans equivalent, but I stick a piece of gel on it to kill the overtones. I keep thinking that a Powerstroke or an Emperor will give me what I want with less external damping, but it never works. They sound dull to me, with or without gels. Can't get my head around it.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:24 AM

Before I found this site, I was in a desperate need of a replacement crash from my brass 14". I got a ZBT 14" crash instead.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:32 AM
Platinum Member

Dixon hardware.

Bought two boom stands and a throne back in the 90's. None of it was able to hold up to regular gigging. All of it broke on the job at one point or another and had to be fixed or modified on the fly, in order to get me through.

Admittedly it was many years ago and I'm told they've come a hell of a long way since then, but their cheap, poorly put together crap was a bad enough experience that I'll never again pay to find out. First impressions obviously do count.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:41 AM

should add i found dixon hw circa late 90s to be very sturdy. never even thought about it for 20 years thats speaks volumes.

dennis chambers snare. bought pre internet couldnt try locally. liked when i had a free floating hook based head but that was a hassle and pricy to replace hooks. not a great tone imo and hard to sell for a decent price.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:48 AM
Platinum Member

Simmons SDS-V. I still have them and need to put them up for sale.
They blew out my Toa 380 speakers. I bought them because I saw Phil Collins use them with Robert Plant, and in a stadium they sounded so good. At home they just caused destruction.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaticus00 View Post
Before I found this site, I was in a desperate need of a replacement crash from my brass 14". I got a ZBT 14" crash instead.
I had ZBT's as my beginner cymbals.. Really really didn't like them at all
Old 05-14-2014, 03:00 AM

i Just bought 14"A Custom Hats, 16"and 18" A Custom crashes all brand new still in the plastic bags off a dude for $400! not only that, i got two heavy duty Mapex boom stands and a Zildjian gig cymbal bag! bargain! had a play around with the 14's and the 18 last night, and they sound brilliant! Best buy ever!
Old 05-14-2014, 03:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewieh1995 View Post
i Just bought 14"A Custom Hats, 16"and 18" A Custom crashes all brand new still in the plastic bags off a dude for $400! not only that, i got two heavy duty Mapex boom stands and a Zildjian gig cymbal bag! bargain! had a play around with the 14's and the 18 last night, and they sound brilliant! Best buy ever!
Does "Worst" mean something different to you than it does to us? PFOG, where are you? Come 'splain this to me.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 05-14-2014, 03:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Does "Worst" mean something different to you than it does to us? PFOG, where are you? Come 'splain this to me.
Whilst it's true that there are many differences here Downunder........from toilets that flush in the opposite direction, to seasons being so completely opposite that it's autumn (fall) here at the moment and not spring as it in the the northern hemisphere. I'm yet to see it put to us that we are to be so opposed that "best" now actually means "worst." :-)
Old 05-14-2014, 03:32 AM
Gold Member

Back in the day I purchased a full set of Dead Ringers (self-adhesive foam circles applied to the bottom of the batter head). What was I thinking?
Old 05-14-2014, 03:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I had ZBT's as my beginner cymbals.. Really really didn't like them at all
I had Sabian B8's... but B8's were better nothing at all.

I've swapped them out over the years.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:09 AM

two weeks ago i bought this cheap paiste splash in kosmic about 100 bucks, i think they fooled me, they gave me the wrong cymbal at the end i did not realize, not the one i tryied! it sounds so shit, eventually after a week. luckily i still have the recipe for that cymbal i told the guy that i think i might got the wrong cymbal, and they checked the recipe and the cymbal sticker on the bottom of the cymbal and it was a wrong cymbal they gave to me. so i ended up paying another 50 bucks to get rid off it and got a zildjian a splash(because they told me that i used it for a week already, the zildjian a is like 135 bucks)
Old 05-14-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
lucky! most of people sells for 200 bucks for just 1 zildjian a custom crash
Old 05-14-2014, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

10 and 12" Roto toms. early 80's used 150.00 They were good, and I used them for many yr. but I overpaid big time.
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:41 AM

Great thread, but how on earth can a ludwig snare be a mistake??

My first ever proper cymbal purchase was a 16" zildjian K custom. I bought it because it looked cool but it was awful.

I got 13" K/Z hats when they were popular. Awful, got rid of them.

14" Z hi hats. No comment!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bash View Post
Ok gear heads, I have made some pretty terrible drum related purchases in the past. Here are my best of the worst.

1) Zildjian earth ride, that thing just ate sticks and had one sound - sold on
I have one of these, every time I get it out I wonder if I would actually get anything for it if I sold it!
Old 05-14-2014, 01:35 PM

Not many thank God but ones that come to mind are a DW9000 double bass pedal -it aggravated an old knee injury-and not the quality of the product. Just the wrong pedal for my anatomy.
A Zildjian 18 inch A medium crash-yuk!
Tama SPL steel snare- Expected a much better product but came poorly made and returned for refund.

Last edited by jspitza; 05-14-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Tom View Post
Great thread, but how on earth can a ludwig snare be a mistake??

My first ever proper cymbal purchase was a 16" zildjian K custom. I bought it because it looked cool but it was awful.
But then... how can a K Custom be a mistake?
One person's mistake is another person's dream :)
Old 05-14-2014, 02:58 PM
Gold Member

DW 9000 single pedal - too heavy feeling - just don't get on well with DW pedals.

Trick Pro 1V - could never get used to way the action gets MUCH heavier the closer the beater gets to the head,

Pearl Bronze Sensitone snare 6.5 x 14 - got it cheap, sold it for a profit. Just not for me.it was nothing like ai expected it to be.

22" Zildjian K Pre-aged dry light ride - too gongy sounding , all wash no stick definition to speak of.

20" Zildjian K Pre-aged dry light ride - all ping, no warmth, nothing like what you would expect a K to sound like, very high pitched.

18" Zildjian K Customs session ride - really wanted to like these ( I actually purchased two on separate occasions) . Too pingy and thin sounding.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:39 PM

Late 80's Camber cymbal pre-pack. Trash can lids would of been more musical. A hundred more bucks would of gotten me A's.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:42 PM

i would also like to share the worst purchase that my school did on drums, and the drum teacher at school told me how much they spend on their drums. the worst drum kit they bought was this mapex junior kit called voyeager or something, he said they paid 800 for it, i swear to god this is the worst kit i've ever heard, even worse than my friend's ashton which he only paid 400, and another friend's sound percussion kit, he paid 300. the mapex voyager is so unplayable, unclear notes, so much rings produced from the toms and the snare, and the bass drum sounds so hollow even though it's got pillow inside. the other kit i don't like is a pearl export series made in china, it's near new, and sound pretty much like the Mapex Voyager! they paid for 900. One of the music teacher told me not to use the cymbal that's set-up with the kit, it was a Zildjian cymbal, i always thought Zildjian produce all the good cymbals, but this one is absolutely horrible, i think it was a planet Z crash or something. anyway they have another two kits, the best one is probably the yamaha stage custom made in indo, it sounds fine, the bass drum has a good punch, but the snare need tuning. the other kit is a tama swingstar, all the drums&cymbals are heavily used. the school is too cheap to get new kit, but we pay alot every term for the school fee!
Old 05-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Old School View Post
Back in the day I purchased a full set of Dead Ringers (self-adhesive foam circles applied to the bottom of the batter head). What was I thinking?
ahaha !!! i did the same damn thing to my '78 Slingerlands back in the day. sucked into the advertizing. pre-moongels one might say. i i had them on those the mirror-dot Ludwig Rocker heads. i think that is what killed them & i moved to black dots.

for me it's every 8" splash i ever bought (4). they all suck & record like crap.i run a 12" HH sabian thin & it's great. i keep the 8" splashes in my cymbal bag & i am slowly giving them away to my students / anyone interested.

also had CANNON TOMS back in the day when i couldnt afford Octobans. sold them & wish i still had them as they were nice maple i believe. my only shot of them from 1985:
Old 05-14-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_G View Post
ahaha !!! i did the same damn thing to my '78 Slingerlands back in the day. sucked into the advertizing. pre-moongels one might say. i i had them on those the mirror-dot Ludwig Rocker heads. i think that is what killed them & i moved to black dots.

for me it's every 8" splash i ever bought (4). they all suck & record like crap.i run a 12" HH sabian thin & it's great. i keep the 8" splashes in my cymbal bag & i am slowly giving them away to my students / anyone interested.

also had CANNON TOMS back in the day when i couldnt afford Octobans. sold them & wish i still had them as they were nice maple i believe. my only shot of them from 1985:
yes, please, can i have a splash?
Old 05-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickP View Post
DW 9000 single pedal - too heavy feeling - just don't get on well with DW pedals.

Trick Pro 1V - could never get used to way the action gets MUCH heavier the closer the beater gets to the head,

Pearl Bronze Sensitone snare 6.5 x 14 - got it cheap, sold it for a profit. Just not for me.it was nothing like ai expected it to be.

22" Zildjian K Pre-aged dry light ride - too gongy sounding , all wash no stick definition to speak of.

20" Zildjian K Pre-aged dry light ride - all ping, no warmth, nothing like what you would expect a K to sound like, very high pitched.

18" Zildjian K Customs session ride - really wanted to like these ( I actually purchased two on separate occasions) . Too pingy and thin sounding.
Rick it's like you've owned everything at some point.

No massive regrets...stuff I've sold - pearl demon drives, a heavy old ufip rough crash - those things I probably shouldn't have bought.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
Rick it's like you've owned everything at some point.

No massive regrets...stuff I've sold - pearl demon drives, a heavy old ufip rough crash - those things I probably shouldn't have bought.
i always wanted a demon drives, is it any good? what's your opinion for this pedal?
Old 05-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Several cymbals: played them in a store. sometimes with cymbals I already had, and did not like them later when used in a band context.

Zildjian A 16" Crash
Sabian AA 16" Medium-Thin Crash
Sabian Pro 16" Medium-Thin Crash
Sabian AAX 16" Stage Crash

All of those sounded too gongy. There are some 16" cymbals I like, by the way,such as an AAX X-plosion 16". Peace and goodwill.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huangmi View Post
i always wanted a demon drives, is it any good? what's your opinion for this pedal?
I sold them because I didn't like playing them. They are well built.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre25 View Post
I sold them because I didn't like playing them. They are well built.
so, you don't like the tension or you just don't want to use double kick any more?
Old 05-14-2014, 04:09 PM
Silver Member

When new to drumming I saw a 'sensitone' snare in my local drum store, at what I thought was a great price, turned out it was the vision sensitone.....

also had a few 'buy nice, or buy twice' moments with pdp hardware.

live and learn!
Old 05-14-2014, 04:10 PM
Pioneer Member

Not too many but.....

DDrum Ash kit off eBay. Came in one 50+ lbs, smashed, rounded, remnant of a box. Didn't really recoup the losses from that damaged thing.

The only cymbals I didn't really like were the Sabian medium or above thickness crashes. I had a 18 and 19".
Old 05-14-2014, 04:10 PM
Silver Member

Late 70s, bought a pair of Ludwig cymbal stands. Tubular legs with little non-scuff feet that worked fine on a short pile carpet but they practically slid across hard floors on their own. That's when I picked up a Tama cymbal stand and have liked Tama hardware ever since.

A few years back I bought a Jackson Dinky (guitar) and returned it with a week. It just didn't work for me.