Drum dial tuner or Drum heads?

jwildman

I've got about $90 that I want to spend but I'm not sure on what. Should I get Resonant heads for four of my drums and batter heads for my two snares or should I get the Drum Dial Drum Tuner. My friend keeps telling me how great this thing is (the tuner) but I think my toms sound fine and that I can tune them by myself. Plus I haven't changed my reso heads for the entire time I had my set. What do you guys think I should get?

I've got about $90 that I want to spend but I'm not sure on what. Should I get Resonant heads for four of my drums and batter heads for my two snares or should I get the Drum Dial Drum Tuner. My friend keeps telling me how great this thing is (the tuner) but I think my toms sound fine and that I can tune them by myself. Plus I haven't changed my reso heads for the entire time I had my set. What do you guys think I should get?

I'd go with the new heads. A lot of people don't realize how a fresh set of reso heads will liven up their kit. And if you can tune your set by ear you should be set.

I've got a drum dial as well, and I find I end up taking more time when using it (tensioning the head evenly, and then having to actually tune it by ear). They are good for live situations when you have to keep quiet or to get a rough estimation of where your heads are at currently (tension wise) so when you change heads you can get them back in the general area again instead of having to completely adjust your tuning. Although you are just replacing your reso heads so if you batter heads are at the same pitch it shouldn't be too difficult because you've already established the pitches.

I've mentioned this before, but I really think that the Drum Dial company should change the wording on their product. In my opinion it's not actually a tuner it's a tension gauge. It'll get you close to being in tune, but nothing can beat the ear. Essentially, an evenly tensioned head doesn't equal an evenly tuned head and vice versa.

One of my friends only uses a drum dial and not to be a dick, but you can tell.

IMO drum dial is a waste of money. Just practice tuning and get good at it.

Buy the heads.

Another vote for 'heads'. Especially if you're happy with the way you tune, there seems to be little point in a drum dial. Heads are a far better investment IMO.

Another vote for 'heads'. Especially if you're happy with the way you tune, there seems to be little point in a drum dial. Heads are a far better investment IMO.

Completely agree with that statement! AND if you've never changed your reso's you'll hear a big difference in your kit with new ones on!

New heads.
I was thinking about getting a drum dial
I' decided to test my tuning skills with the drum dial at work. I tuned 3 different sanre drums up, out of the box. Got them to where they sounded good and then checked the tension with the drum dial. Each lug was right around 85, give or take 2 numbers either way. It told me what I already new, that tuning by ear and practicing it when you have the chance is the way to go.

I could use $90.00. Fancy sending it to me? I have PayPal.

Get the heads. No fancy tuning device will make worn out heads sound new again. Since you already know how to tune, who needs it?

Dennis

Great answers. Drum Dial will not make the old heads sound better, and if you know how to tune why waste 60.00 on a Drum Dial. It only gets you close anyway.

I also think you should get the heads.
Just as an alternative though, Evans makes a torque drum key that basically guages the tension on your tension rods. Since it's calibrated, it's a useful tool to get your tension rods even with each other which will essentially accomplish the same thing as the drum dial...and it's definitely cheaper (probably a lot cheaper). Like the drum dial, it will only get you close and then you can fine-tune by ear.

As I said, I fully recommend buying the heads, but thought I would give you another viable option that's easier to afford if you really want a tool of this nature. It's also a lot easier to transport since it's basically the same size as your standard drum key. See pic:

Attachments

• evans_torque_key.jpg
    evans_torque_key.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 270
New heads.
I was thinking about getting a drum dial
I' decided to test my tuning skills with the drum dial at work. I tuned 3 different sanre drums up, out of the box. Got them to where they sounded good and then checked the tension with the drum dial. Each lug was right around 85, give or take 2 numbers either way. It told me what I already new, that tuning by ear and practicing it when you have the chance is the way to go.

Plus or minus 2 on the dial is a lot. You should keep practicing....

Plus or minus 2 on the dial is a lot. You should keep practicing....
Not really a lot, maybe an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn difference at most.
I hear ya though man, I in no way meant to come across as having mastered anything.
I seem to get better at tuning as time goes by but I could definatley be better!

Heads definitely.. drum dial is just a substitute for practice/effort (in my opinion).
Drum tuning is a noble art in itself!

Definitley Heads - that Evans Torque key is great to get everything to a certain tension quickly, then you can fine tune after that. Tuning is an art that you need to practice, and it helps you get to know your drums better as well.

Back