Trying to decide Snare

MK636

I know this has been asked, but I want to know your opinon.
Looking for suggestions for a good all around snare. I play anything from Classic rock to Smooth Jazz. Up to the $400 range.
I'm playing a PDP MX series maple snare now.
Make ?
Size 14 X ?
The store has so many it's overwelming to try all of them. Narrow the list down a little.

Thanks.

Maybe a sonor phil rudd

Go for a deeper drum shell. Something like 14 x 6 or more. This will give you a broader range of tuning. I play the same style and my go to snare is a Pearl sensitone brass 14 x 6.5. This is also in your price range.

Maybe you just need two snares??? My son uses a big loud steel yamaha snare (about $100 on sale) for classic rock, and he just pops a maple black panther on for something smoother with less pop. Are you saying that you play both those types of music at the same gig?

I just got a 14x8 maple Black Panther, and I think it's a great all around snare. You can tune it to just about any sound you need.

I just got a 14x8 maple Black Panther, and I think it's a great all around snare. You can tune it to just about any sound you need.

Hey Eric,

Did you get the "Special Edition" or the "Big Cat"? I think that the special edition is all maple while the FC is a Saturn style shell..

Ludwig Ludaloy Supraphonic 400 5 x 14 snare drum, the most recorded snare drum of all time and there is a resason for that. They sound great with just about any head. Very hard to make one of these sound bad.

Do you prefer wood or steel more, The Acrolite re issue 6.5 x 14 should work fine and be in your budget, its a nice in-between wood and say steel or brass. The Natal Bronze snare like in my avatar is another I would recommend.

Ludwig classic maple if you like wood, which many do. I metal, an Acrolite or LM400. there is a lot of good buzz about the steel supralites. They sound great!

Thanks for all the replies. I will test the mentioned snares and let you know what I decide on.

Why spend all of $400 if you don't have to?

Used Acrolite, Pearl Sensitone or even Luwig Rocker 6.5 x 14 chrome over wood (about $50-60).... all excellent snares.

If you want a metal "clang", get a brass snare like the Pork Pie BOB. If you want a metallic dry "crack", get a Supraphonic, either 5" deep or 6.5" deep, depending on your preference for body. If you want the warmer sound of wood, find a Slingerland Hollywood Ace or Artist snare--the sound of a Radio King, but about half to 1/3 the cost.

You should check out Castle Drum Companies "keystone series". It's more money, but with the 14" batter and the 13" resonant head, you get a drum that covers a lot of different styles. They have the wide tuning range of the 14" with the pop and cut of the 13".

Yeah, for sure. Can't go wrong with a nice 14x6.5 brass.

Re: Trying to decide Snare/Decision made

I hit a lot of the snare drums you guys recommended and decided on the used DW Black Nickel over Brass. This is a great sounding drum and for $240, I could not pass it up.
Thanks for all your help.

Back