Adding a new drummer to the rotation

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
After a 4 month long break from playing in my church's praise band, I came back about 3 weeks ago refreshed, recharged, and ready to get back on the throne, so to speak. While I was gone many changes took place, most for the better, however we lost a stong drummer and great guy in the rotation. Burn out; he put himself on long-term leave to pursue other ministries inside the church.

So we're looking for depth now. One morning they had nobody else to play, so they tapped the 6th grade son of one of the guitar players who is studying percussion and drums in school to man the kit. I wasn't there but I hear he did okay. Nothing fancy, no fills, just straight 4x4 quarter note time keeping that a beginner drum student would do.

I recommended we keep him in the rotation, if he is willing, to let him get the exposure of playing in a band, plus get the experience. I remember when I was his age I jumped at the chance to play, so hopefully this will be a positive learning experience for him.

None of us wants to get burned out again and face it, we ain't getting any younger, so it's time to begin passing the torch to the younger guys.

Hey, that's a good story.
I bet the kid is over the moon for joining you guys in the rotation!

I see both sides of letting younger guys sit in on the rotation.

On one hand, it's great to let them get the experience playing as well as the opportunity to serve.

However, when they aren't that strong of a player--I'm not saying this kid was though--it can almost be distracting to have someone back there speed up and slow down contantly or try to shoehorn in a fill every four bars.

There should be a little maturity and willingness to play for the song displayed before they are plugged in to the rotation. Let them sit in every practice, just not the service until they have demonstrated they are ready for it.

This has just been my experience a few times. It's a little frustrating. I get burned out sometimes too but at least put a competent player up there...regardless of the instrument. I'm not saying we should all be top tier pros but at the same time it shouldn't be amateur hour up there.

I was concerned about that also. In fact, this has been at the back of my mind for a year or so because I knew this kid was studying percussion and interested, I just was waiting until he mentioned something to the director or his parents did then I was going to step up and encourage it.

Our lead guitar player is a veteran of the LA bar band scene from years ago and has played in bands from the time he could walk just about, so I was inquiring privately how the kid did. From what I gathered he did fine keeping a straight 4/4 tempo. No frills, no fills, etc. Just straight quarter note time.

We'll see how this evolves....

Back