Heads for Mahogany

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
So I have this wonderful Mahogany kit and I am in need of some head suggestions.

I tried both clear and coated Response 2's and didn't like the sound. Sucks, cuz that's what I always use on my toms in the past...

Keep this in mind when you make a suggestion... the heads MUST BE AQUARIAN, I am an artist for that company, and will not use anything Remo or Evans.

The American Vintage and Modern Vintage medium heads are great. Some of my favourite drum heads on the market. However, do not expect the durability of the Response 2 with these.

well, you don't have many choices left if you're staying with aquarian, especially if you're only using 2 ply heads. That leaves performance 2, and the super 2. The only durable option in single ply would be the studio x clear with power dot.

Nick - do they have to be 2-ply? Will there be a durability issue?

I ask because I don't want to presume that those specs have to be factored in. Aquarians are robust heads in general.

It also depends on what you are going for style and sound wise with the mahogany kit. If you want to keep it in the warm and dark area (that mahogany excels at) I'd go with either the Jack DeJohnette heads or as Drums&Beer mentioned, Modern\American Vintage (Medium not thin).

If you need slightly brighter then go with the single-ply Satin Texture coated.

I've used all of the above heads on one drum or the other.

I don't know what you're endorsement deal is, but can they send you a few heads in the same size to try first?

Interested to know where you land.

Jim

Or you could Make the Switch... ;-) G2's have a killer sound if you want the attack and durability of a 2-ply head.

Cheers!

Back