Pearl Reference Series Review - does anyone think this is real?

I could only make it like 4 minutes into the video before shutting it off, but did he say he bought the kit from Fred Pierce? That's a local shop here (St Louis) and I was surprised to see you mention it.

I will admit that these videos sure do make me more confident in my own abilities. I mean, really?

Yes he did say he bought the kit from FRED PIERCE in St Louis, and he urged people to buy there over GUITAR CENTER.

As of this post you've got 1,051 people who now know about FRED PIERCE Drum Shop in St Louis possibly being a place to get a deal.

Yes he did say he bought the kit from FRED PIERCE in St Louis, and he urged people to buy there over GUITAR CENTER.

As of this post you've got 1,051 people who now know about FRED PIERCE Drum Shop in St Louis possibly being a place to get a deal.

I don't know that the drum shop would want people finding out about them through that video...

If your looking for something give Fred a call he can deal like crazy. he has been there since like 1972. that shop was Dave Weckl's old haunt in his high school days

I mean, he REALLY sounds like he might have some kind of mental disorder in which case I feel really sorry for him...

...but if not I can laugh at him without feeling bad. Honestly my favorite part is how he put a leg of his hi-hat ON his slave pedal base board and that seems like just how he has it set up permanently..

haha! just made it to 10:30 in the video, he says "If you're a beginner, do NOT get the Pearl Reference". the irony there is astounding.

to Les- There is at least good stuff in this video. He's excited and he's happy, and now more people know about Fred Pierce's drum shop, but unless we're all here next week still trying to milk comedy out of this video, I don't think it's really a problem. He did a thing, we think the thing is funny for reasons that he didn't intend, and we'll all forget about it within a few days.

Last edited:
I found this video about this time last year, I became so disappointed with humanity that I didn't go on YouTube for about a month. Now I just watch it occasionally for giggles

There is at least good stuff in this video. He's excited and he's happy, and now more people know about Fred Pierce's drum shop, but unless we're all here next week still trying to milk comedy out of this video, I don't think it's really a problem. He did a thing, we think the thing is funny for reasons that he didn't intend, and we'll all forget about it within a few days.

This ^^^^ ...

Was that Justin Beiber showing us his set. He sounded sort of, well, you know. Awesome.

this was one of the funniest things on the forum in a long while. How totally out of touch can you be but broadcast it on the internet as an expert?

"I wanna slap you with a fish" - has got to be the new saying on this forum.

DrummerA - "I'm changing my snare reso head to an Evans hydraulics"
Drummer B- " I wanna slap you with a fish if you do that"

Drummer C - "man I can't wait. I got a new cape for my next gig"
Drummer B- " somebody should slap you with a fish if you wear that"

Drummer D - "Bummer, my mom won't load out my drums anymore"
Drummer B- " She should slap you with a fish if you ever ask her that"

DrummerA - "I'm changing my snare reso head to an Evans hydraulics"
Drummer B- " I wanna slap you with a fish if you do that"

A friend that runs the L&M drum department told me once of a brilliant fellow who tried out a Hydraulic head for his kick reso.

You guys can probably see where this is going...he ported it and the oil leaked out on his bass drum shell. XD

Just for S's and G's, recently someone brought in their damaged Slipknot snare drum. The batter rim was BROKEN IN HALF. I think he was using Ahead sticks of the Ulrich/Jordison variety.

A friend that runs the L&M drum department told me once of a brilliant fellow who tried out a Hydraulic head for his kick reso.

You guys can probably see where this is going...he ported it and the oil leaked out on his bass drum shell. XD

Evans should just cut their costs with the Hydraulics and make them out of cardboard with "drum" written on the top. Same sound, right?

There's always one guy every music shop owner will tell you about, who has done something like this xD

My personal favourite was someone bought a brand new Evans EMAD for their bass drum. And someone told them that putting pennies on the beaters will give them more attack...

We can see where this is going also...

Yes, it is very easy to find this kids actions, manner, enthusiasm humorous on the surface, however, please consider this as some have said before. This kid might be mentally challenged in some way. I worked as a special-needs teachers aid at my local high school for 2 years and have taught many challenged kids privately over the years. This guy sounds as if he could very well have some problems. Think of it this way, this might be as good as it gets for him. His parents buy him a pro kit and an Ekit(in the background) because it's all he really cares about or can relate too. He watches Youtube and copies (albeit oddly) the parlance and enthusiasm of his young peers and the ingenious comments and rants that they are afforded on the internet.
In short, it's probably best to just leave the kid alone and count your blessings.

I would like to mention that I went to Fred Pearce's shop yesterday to check out some things and I left there with a 20/10/12/14 Pearl Reference kit. HA! Yes, I'm serious. Absolutely unbelievable deal. :)

I would like to mention that I went to Fred Pearce's shop yesterday to check out some things and I left there with a 20/10/12/14 Pearl Reference kit. HA! Yes, I'm serious. Absolutely unbelievable deal. :)

We can assume FRED PIERCE is thankful for Nick Becker's video being seen by over a thousand drummer type people here on DW.

In short, it's probably best to just leave the kid alone and count your blessings.

Ah yes, I should have remembered to say this in my post earlier- it's not a good idea to insult him on his video especially... jeez.

Apparently I need to make a road trip up to this shop and pick up something nice for myself!

...Apparently I need to make a road trip up to this shop and pick up something nice for myself!

I got the 20/10/12/14 Pearl Reference kit brand new for SLIGHTLY more than half of the normal STREET PRICE I see at other stores (normal street price is $2,999).

Freaking ridiculous! Now, I doubt he has those types of deals everyday. He said he just celebrated his 40th anniversary selling Pearl and he gets stuff for a reduced price. I really kinda wonder, though, if Pearl is about to release a new Reference design or something and these are being closed out.

Either way, I'm super happy! I'll start a thread about it sometime this week. :)

Back