Ludwig Supraphonic and Heads

any favorite snare wires as well?
at this point im looking to upgrade just about everything but the shell on my supraphonic
Puresound snare wires for sure there different types for different styles,the #1 snare head of all time coated 14"ambassador and either a hazy amb. or dip. depending what sound you want.

Bonzolead

im looking for that classic rock backbeat sound with a solid rimshot and something that picks ghost notes up well
im wondering has anyone here ever tried wood hoops on a supraphonic? i dont really know if that would create something fresh or mix badly with the drum

any favorite snare wires as well?
at this point im looking to upgrade just about everything but the shell on my supraphonic
I don't know much about wood hoops... I put S-Hoops on my Supra and that really gave the attack quite a boost but they didn't have that drying out effect that die cast tend to produce (I'm going to put them on my other snare, too).

I've also been using Puresound Blasters (20 strands) for a couple weeks now and I really like them. Huge improvement over the stock wires. Louder and more sensitive.

Between getting new heads and replacing the hoops and wires, this drum sounds far better than it did when everything was just stock. It still has that Ludwig sound but it's richer and more enhanced.

I put on a P-86 strainer just for kicks. Doesn't do anything for the sound, obviously, but cool nonetheless.

I don't know much about wood hoops... I put S-Hoops on my Supra and that really gave the attack quite a boost but they didn't have that drying out effect that die cast tend to produce (I'm going to put them on my other snare, too).

I've also been using Puresound Blasters (20 strands) for a couple weeks now and I really like them. Huge improvement over the stock wires. Louder and more sensitive.

Between getting new heads and replacing the hoops and wires, this drum sounds far better than it did when everything was just stock. It still has that Ludwig sound but it's richer and more enhanced.

I put on a P-86 strainer just for kicks. Doesn't do anything for the sound, obviously, but cool nonetheless.
Exactly, I did the same to my Ludwig "Epic" snare(heads & wires except mine a Vintage 16 strand) and really made the snare come to life, it sounded good before but incredible now.

Bonzolead

You can never go wrong with the Remo Vintage Emperor over Ambassador Snare Side. This combo was used by Bonham, since Emperors were made out of the opaque film and were 7.5+7.5mil instead of clear plies coated 7+7mil.

Absolutely. I play my supraphonic for 40 years now - always changed, but mostly coated Ambassadors.

Now i tried the new Remo emperor vintage: great sound - also with higher tuning. Brought new life into my old friend. Will stay with these...

Bernhard

Also got a LM400 (late 70s) with the G1/Hazy 300 combo with Puresound blasters. Absolutely love it! I just got myself a new LM420 and trying to decide between these Evans combinations with Puresound blasters and Hazy 300 side.

COATED
G2 batter
G Plus batter

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I was running a emperor x on it for awhile and all I can say is stay away from that head on this drum... Brutal..
Just put on a emperor and she is back, I don't think you can go wrong with a 2 ply coated head on this drum, but for all means stay away from the reverse dot stuff.
My opinion anyways..

Also got a LM400 (late 70s) with the G1/Hazy 300 combo with Puresound blasters. Absolutely love it! I just got myself a new LM420 and trying to decide between these Evans combinations with Puresound blasters and Hazy 300 side.

COATED
G2 batter
G Plus batter

Thoughts?

Loving the coated G Plus myself. So sensitive but a crack and body for days.

I have tried several combinations on my various LM400's.

I currently have Ambassadors top and bottom on my 1966 Supersensitive. That combination sounds great. Funnily though my student I loaned it to hated it and complained "Why doesn't it have a Modern vintage on it?"

Can't please everyone.

I have 2 modern LM400's. One is fitted with the same combination as above.

The second LM400 (pictured on my thread) is fitted with a Fat Cat snare wire, Aquarian Jack DeJohnette batter and Aquarian snare side. It sounds awesome! The Fat Cat wires really made a difference. The sound has a great crack plus depth and the wires offer more sensitivity than the original Ludwig wires.

I play one at church and I am responsible for maintaining it. I like the Evans EC1 Reverse Dot over Hazy 300. I tune it up medium high. Peace and goodwill.

Have had tons of success with Vintage A Ambassador or Vintage Emperor, both coated, for batter. Hazy Ambassador on the bottom always. I figure, this drum came out a LONG time ago, and should be paired with the "vintage" heads that were around at the time. Very glad Remo brought them back.

I agree with the snare wires change, I put on 20-strand Puresound Blasters and it increased the volume by a bit.

One might try some Puresound custom 24 just a little more kick with the 4 extra strands. I have the new brushed Acrolite 6.5 x 14 so the same thing minus the chrome plating, I am currently using an Evans Hazy 300, Aqurian Hi- Velocity and Puresound custom 24 strand and am really liking the sound!

Last edited:
It just seems natural to put Remos on a Supra. for set drum use, Ambassadore coated top and bottom works super! For a more concert style drum, I would put Diplomats on top and bottom. Classic Ludwig sound.

Back