feet

moojii

hi y'all

i play with my bass/kick heel UP

and hats heel DOWN

i dont know why but it just feels most comfortable for me.

does anyone else play like this??

cheers

Play the way that works for you.
I switch between up and down for both the bass and the hats.
It depends on what I'm playing.

Lately I've been finding myself playing heels down on both because it makes it that much easier to execute a heel-toe double stroke on my pedals. I am normally playing a lot of jazz and funk but if I'm playing anything from hard rock to death metal I find myself playing heels up for more power out of the kick.

kick technique just like any other technique you develope is something that will come with time and many many hours of practice. i use a heel up method but i drop my heel at the end of the stroke, this allows for greater rebound and stamina.

For hi-hat most of the time my heel is up, but to "sizzle" them I'll bring my heel down. I find it gives me more control than trying to do that heel up.
For bass drum, most of the time it's heel up / bury, but sometimes I play heel down or heel up / unbury using Matt's technique or by playing further back on the footboard.
It's still all a work in progress for me; I still get a fair few problems with all of the techniques I know, I've always had issues with bass drum playing, but I work on it all the time to try and fix the problems. I think that's the only way in the end.

Hihat: Inspired by that radical JoJo Mayer splash/close sound, I'm doing this with sort of heel-toe.
Here's an example - this is easily one of the coolest grooves my ears came across (starting from 6.59):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXY4fcvM3zI

For regular 'clicks' I use heel up. I'm a beginner, my hihat technique might change in the future.

Last edited:
Back