Drum Instruction DVD & Book Reviews

NUTHA JASON

Senior Administrator
the idea is that we professionally review the dvds or videos in our collections. like on Amazon.com. So please use the following headings and rating system.

headings:

NAME:
(full name of the DVD/Video)
STAR RATING:
(see below)
WORDED RATING:
(a verbal description to back yuor feelings of the pieces's worth)
TARGET AUDIENCE:
(who is it intended for? beginners? advanced? jazz muso's only? etc)
PUBLISHED BY:
(so that the rest of us can track it down and buy it)
DESCRIPTION:
(please be precise and detailed here. what is covered? how does the artist carry off as a teacher? highlights? etc.

star rating system:

# # # # # #
exceptional (deserves to be called one of the top 20 instructional works of all time)

# # # # #
excellent (instructive and well put together. thoughtful and thorough)

# # # #
good

# # #
average (has an equal number of good and bad points)

# #
below average (could have been done better)

#
poor (don't spend time or money on it)

i will post up an example of this in a while.
j

Re: DRUM INSTRUCTION DVD REVIEWS

NAME:
CHAD SMITH: RED HOT RHYTHM METHOD
STAR RATING:
# # # #
WORDED RATING:
Hilarious and visually educating.
TARGET AUDIENCE:
funk drummers of all levels. inspirational for beginners and very informative for intermediate players.
PUBLISHED BY:
Warner Bros
DESCRIPTION:
a different instruction DVD. not serious until the actual playing starts. then its very hard driven and musical punk. Chad is a larger then life character and flea sits in and shows that he is a top bass guitarist. nice descriptions of grace notes and the half time shuffle here. chad has a great single bass drum technique but he doesn't really explain it. though there is a foot camera so if you watch carefully you can learn a lot. he clearly is a big bonzo fan. he does a nice bit on his tom tuning technique ... which is as unscientific as they come but still cool. this guy knows how to groove. his beats are huge and exciting. actually i have discovered a kindred spirit in this DVD. Chad is a slightly more advanced version of me. his approach, tools and jamming technique are similar to mine.

so its a DVD with some of the top chilli peppers songs and some joking but over all very inspirational.

This is a great idea...

NAME:
BRAIN'S LESSONS - Shredding Repi's on the Gnar Gnar Rad
STAR RATING:
# # # #
WORDED RATING:
Alternative instruction from an excellent drummer. Highly Recommended.
TARGET AUDIENCE:
drummers of all levels - particularly funk style
PUBLISHED BY:
Warner Bros
DESCRIPTION:
Ex Primus Drummer Brain (Brian Mantia) breaks down Go-Go and funk beats, covers 13 different ostinato patterns for the right hand (as well as some independence ideas over them) and covers the up/down stick technique. Also featured is Brain taking a solo using baguette's instead of drumsticks (and still showing everyone who's boss), roof top drumming sporting nothing more than a pair of underpants and a cigar and some first class funk work.
I've watched this DVD about 10 times since I bought it a few months back and am inspired everytime I watch it. Its a bit quirky in the way its shot and there is a heavy fun element throughout as opposed to a lot of the 'straighter' DVD's out there but I would recommend this dvd to anyone with even a slight interest in funky style drumming. Brain is an excellent technician also, just check out the section on the double stroke role if you need this confirming!
The only reason I haven't given it the full 5 is because the dude who posted the thread seems to be reserving full scores for "top 20" DVD's (which is fair enough) and although this would definitely be in mine not everyone may fully appreciate a quirky hour or so of funk drumming and general tomfoolery (which I definitely do), over say Steve Smith's 2 discs of 5 and a half hours of technique and history, I say both have there places (and both are in my DVD collection).
Extra bits are some clinic footage with some Q&A, the inclusion of a small book/manual describing the up/down technique further and written versions of the ostinatos and Brain's interactive drumkit.
Overall an excellent DVD that I would highly recommend.

NAME:
Drumming Technique/History of the U.S. Beat
STAR RATING:
#####
WORDED RATING
The most comprehensive compalation on the drumset and the way has been played and has evolved since it's inception.
TARGET AUDIENCE
All levels and styles.
PUBLISHED BY:
Hudson Music
DESCRIPTION:
History of the U.S. Beat: Disc One.
We all need the lessons that are taught by Steve on this ultra informative DVD.
I have never seen such a great tutorial on how the drumset and all it's variations came about. Steve has done his homework on this one, from early Neworleans jazz, to gospel, the Beatles, Bonham and More modern applications such as Jazz/Rock. All displayed by Vital Information in a great set of music at the end of disc two. If your a serious student of the instrument you need this DVD set.

Drumset Technique: Disc Two
Practical application of many techniques on the drumset for all styles of music. Detailed breakdown of Moeller hand technique and practice methods. Also great foot technique lesson taught to Steve by Freddie Gruber. Superb audio and video quality thruout all exampels and performance footage. I have watched this DVD countless times since my wife bought it for me two years ago and I always learn something.

Put into words Steve Smith is a modern master on the Drums set and is here to encourage you to practice, practice, practice and reap the rewards.

^^^^
I've been looking for this one.

How about some Joe Morello DVDs?

Steve Smith's video is more of a documentary than an instructional dvd. He explains a lot of stuff, but there are no excercizes or play alongs or anything like that. I own it simply to watch one of the three best drummers alive play the kit. I also like Vital Information a lot, so you get to see Frank and Baron and the guys a bit too.

I've been on an instructional drumming video binge ever since I found out you can rent some of these through Netflix.....I'll review a few that I've seen in the last couple weeks.

NAME:
Dave Weckl: Back to Basics

STAR RATING:
# # # # #

WORDED RATING:
This DVD is great. He can really explain things in a simple way.

TARGET AUDIENCE:
Great DVD for beginners and intermediate players who need to refresh their techniques.

PUBLISHED BY:
Warner Bros

DESCRIPTION:
Great DVD that shows where Weckl was at 15 years ago. He covers his tuning techniques and kit positioning, hand technique and foot technique, rudiments, and many other things. He also discusses how having a positive attidtude is just as important as how well you play in a working situation. I would highly reccomend this one.

Last edited:

NAME:
Marco Minnemann: Extreme Drumming

STAR RATING:
# # # # #

WORDED RATING:
Intermediate to Advanced. (5.1 Surround Sound) Great camera work.

TARGET AUDIENCE:
Intermediate to Advanced players. This one is going to frustrate you if you don't already have a strong foundation to work from. Rock/Fusion/Jazz/Electronic

PUBLISHED BY:
Warner Bros

DESCRIPTION:
Over 4 hours! Ok....this DVD is mostly Minnemann performing about a dozen of his songs, and then breaking them down so that the viewer can get an idea what he's doing, but does get to some technique instruction. He covers finger control/Moeller technique, foot technique (exeptional coverage of multiple instruments using left foot/multiple footboards), phrasing ideas, complete independence (each limb playing completely different time signatures), pratice tips, song structure and the list goes on. Also includes mp3 downloads and a 15 page PDF booklet with exercises and drumcharts.

NAME:
Steve Gadd: In Session

STAR RATING:
# #

WORDED RATING:
Boring, lame and a waste of $$$$$

TARGET AUDIENCE:
Beginner players may (and I stress MAY) get something from this DVD, but definately NOT for seasoned drummers.

PUBLISHED BY:
Warner Bros

DESCRIPTION:
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ........................................................................................Gadd playing/jamming in the studio with some buddies, and some occasional voice-overs. The dude literally looks like he's totally stoned on some smack or something. Not reccomended. He may be a really great drummer to many, but this DVD suxass!

Wow thank you! I just thought about buying this one yesterday.
Maybe someone saw the "Dennis chambers in the pocket" dvd and can tell if it's worth buying?

NAME: Thomas Lang: Creative Control

STAR RATING: # # # or # # # # or # # # # # depending on what you expect

WORDED RATING: Very well done, interesting topics, but overall too many things that are not interesting for 90% of all drummers (Multi Pedal Orchestrations, Twin Effect...).

TARGET AUDIENCE: Everybody who wants to get really frustrated or likes LONG Drumsolos. Seriously: VERY far advanced drummers who need to get some new ideas or everybody else who wants to see "how its done".

PUBLISHED BY: Hudson Music

DESCRIPTION: This double DVD by drumming super hero Thomas Lang comes along with many usefull PDF Files and even some Files that can be Looped in order to play along with them. It is not his first DVD and therefore wasn´t made for beginners - everything that is coverd is pretty far advanced and takes a long time to practise. For people who want to get a detailed description of what Thomas does, this DVD is perfect. Sadly, there is also a lot of stuff that is completely nonsense since it only displays, what Thomas is capabale of doing on the set. I find this pretty pointless, also because drummers who are on a level on which they are able to perform this kind of stuff, they actually don´t need this DVD any more. I saw a clinic with Thomas on which he didn´t solo and only talked about timing and groove. That was absoultely brilliant - maybe that was what I expected from ths DVD and sadly it doesn´t deliver this.
I also don´t like the songs he plays and neither do I like his solo in the end. It is just very much showing off (and i guess everybody knows allready what a great player Thomas is...)

On the positive side, there is a wonderfull chapter on Sticktricks and Showmanship - the best I have ever seen. It is amazing and helpfull, since this stuff is pretty basic and can be applied by many drummers in their own way. Also Thomas is a very charismatic and nice person and it is fun to listen to him talk with that funny accent like Schwarzenegger.

A nice DVD, very well produced with a little too much unnecassary showing off stuff.

NAME:
john blackwell (grooving,technique,showmanship)
STAR RATING:
# # # #
WORDED RATING:
its funky! :)
TARGET AUDIENCE:
beginners and intermediate level
PUBLISHED BY:
hudson music
DESCRIPTION:
he shows and describes his hand and foot technique(single)he has an amazing speed with single peds,he describes what he practice, and he also talks about his influences and heroes from funk,jazz etc, he also demonstrate some rnb grooves, lots of funky stuff :), and he also talks about grooving with a bass guitar,t heres also a performance here where he have a duet with his father :D, and he also talks about his soloing ideas, twirling technique, shuffles etc etc, sorry im not that good in describing or reviewing dvds, and excuse me if my grammar is not perfect :p.

Sticktrick said:
NAME: Thomas Lang: Creative Control

STAR RATING: # # # # #

Sure, Lang goes overboard on some sections, and, sure, part of the DVD is a thinly-veiled advert for a pedal, but the diamonds far outweigh the coal in this package.

Here's a couple of points from Creative Control that I found quite useful, but you're likely to miss them because he just tosses them at you very quickly.

1) Lean forward when you're playing, not back. That way everything is closer to your shoulders and you'll have less of a reach. The result, as I see it, is that you'll use smaller muscle groups which in turn will let you play faster with less effort. Leaning forward reduces arm motion and concentrates the work in your wrists and fingers.

2) When possible, practise multiple things at the same time. That means, for instance, when you're practicing double-strokes, move them around the kit and play them at different volumes. So you're practicing not only doubles, but also movement between drums and dynamics. Special this week only! Three-for-one practise deal!

I highly recommend this double-disc set.

You are right on these two points. But to me that is just not enough - and both things I knew allready years ago because I was lucky having very good teachers. You can also say this in two sentences, like you did. You don´t need a double DVD for that.

What I want to say with my review is, that too much time is wasted for useless stuff and showing off. I don´t like that. But as I also said in my review I think Lang is great and many things on the DVD are very cool. It is just that I personally was very disappointed because I saw him in one clinic that was very different from this DVD and much better.

Lang is a master of the drums and an almost unlimted source of information and wisdom. Get the other DVDs of him, they are more usefull for most of the people. If you like to see cutting edge drumming (although with not that much musical value imho) - get this DVD.

Cheers!

groovesticks said:
Wow thank you! I just thought about buying this one yesterday.
Maybe someone saw the "Dennis chambers in the pocket" dvd and can tell if it's worth buying?

YES! YES! YES!!

man he kills on that video. One of my first videos I purchased years ago and I still never get tired of it. Not much for instruction but he does document his career to date, his playing is amazing and VERY inspiring to say the least.

Plus he jams with Scofield. Oh man I could go on and on for hours about this video. One thing though, he is such a phenominal(sp?) player that it took me years to get all that he was doing.

NAME:
Bobby Jarzombek / “Performance & Technique”

STAR RATING:
####

WORDED RATING:
Bobby’s playing is exemplary. His technique is flawless. His taste is well deserved.

TARGET AUDIENCE:
Intermediate to advanced

PUBLISHED BY:
Warner Brothers

DESCRIPTION:

• Bobby’s 3 showcased songs are great with lots of intricate moves and tasty playing. The down side is you only get a glimpse of his double-bass wizardry. He does some really nice syncopated bass drums riffs that I’d like to see.
• The exercises he lays out are good ones to work on 4-way coordination and 2-way [between hands and feet] coordination.
• He does a nice explanation of “stick twirling” and how to. What I really liked was him pointing out when not to do the showy stuff.
• He demonstrates some nice “showy” stick twirling in a solo [that and his incredible double-bass playing seem to be his forte]
• You get some “extras” like him in the studio [so-so], buying Paste cymbals [another so-so] and preparing his kit for a show [if you’ve done it once, you’ve done it a thousand times]

I very much liked his humble attitude. He is a very likeable and extremely talented guy. I hope his next video will focus more on his double-bass technique, which is not just mindless 64th notes like a machine-gun, but rather excellently timed and executed.

Steve Smith DVD

If I've missed a thread about this I'm sorry to be redundant, but i just got a copy of the Drumset Technique/History of the U.S. Beat DVD. It's incredible. Super informative, excellent playing, fantastic technique tips, just an overall great package. Also, just as a bonus, his gear is gorgeous and sounds unbelievable. When he's going through the history of the U.S. beat portion he's playing a beautiful vintage kit with a legit black beauty and it seriously sounds too good to be true.

I would love to hear what you guys think about it.

Re: Steve Smith DVD

To me truthfully I feel that this dvd didn't have enough. As far as the second disk, all he went over was typical rhythms that you can learn just by listening to music from those periods. Plus the actual people playing on those recordings had more feeling (more swing n funk) in it too. On the first disk, he goes through basic techniques (moeller for hands and feet), and a small amount of coordination, but virtually no soloing ideas, licks, or anything. I think the technique aspect is always important on any dvd, but I want so much more. Im looking towards getting the carter beauford dvd and/or the tony royster jr. .....

Billy Ward: Big Time

If nothing else it was an exercise for the left side of the mind. His concept of Big Time, layering as many rhythms as possible (i.e.-click your teeth, tap your heel, sing your own little melody, etc.) despite the mics not hearing it just so it feels as good as possible to your bandmates was interesting. He presents so many little nuances to spark creativity...don't expect much instruction for technicality, but you can't help buy get inspired by it!

Back