Keith Moon

• Thread starter tuckerduncan2002
  • Start date
T

tuckerduncan2002

Would anyone care to enlighten me about Keith Moon? He is deemed a legend, yet I have never been impressed by his playing. I found his playing sloppy, especially in concert. I don't think he took his playing all that seriously. Maybe someone could help me out.

Keith Moon page on DrummerWorld

Last edited by a moderator:
keith took his playin serious to a certian degree. have you heard the song cobwebs and strange the drumming on that song is great. he was a strange dude but that is why people liked him.

Re: Keith Moon that good???

tuckerduncan2002 said:
Would anyone care to enlighten me about Keith Moon? He is deemed a legend, yet I have never been impressed by his playing. I found his playing sloppy, especially in concert. I don't think he took his playing all that seriously. Maybe someone could help me out.

I agree with most of what you say. I do think he is a great player, however as far the other drummers from that era are concernd I could name a lot more who are better drummers that don't get nearly as much credit that Keith got. The reason he was such a legend was because his antics on and off the stage. Whether it was throwing TV's out of hotel windows or blowing his drumset set up on national television that is what made him famous.

Keith Moon was completely out of his mind. Plain and simple.

I was never a fan of Keith Moon. His style is always so sloppy and, a lot of the time, overplayed. And if there's one groove that makes my blood boil it's definately "You Better", or at least I think that's what it's called. It is just so annoying and never goes anywhere.

Now, I'm not saying he's terrible. He's been a big influence to many drummers, but I just don't like his style.

just go and watch Isle of Wight, it should shut most of you up = ) A lot of ppl have a problem with Keith because he was a little too eccentric when it came to playing. I have absolutely no idea how you could say that he wasnt into his drumming. I havent seen a sole that is more into drumming live, well, ever. Hes got some of the fastest chops around and some very original grooves. And he was also a showman, he could hit his snare drum with his stick, and it would fly into the air, then he'd catch, and go right back into playing. IMO Keith Moon is monster on the drumset, for god sakes his nickname was the octopus for the way that he'd fly around that set.

Bonham to the moon said:
just go and watch Isle of Wight, it should shut most of you up = ) A lot of ppl have a problem with Keith because he was a little too eccentric when it came to playing. I have absolutely no idea how you could say that he wasnt into his drumming. I havent seen a sole that is more into drumming live, well, ever. Hes got some of the fastest chops around and some very original grooves. And he was also a showman, he could hit his snare drum with his stick, and it would fly into the air, then he'd catch, and go right back into playing. IMO Keith Moon is monster on the drumset, for god sakes his nickname was the octopus for the way that he'd fly around that set.

I was reading all the other reply's and was starting to go crazy! Keith Moon is a crazy drummer! One of the best classic rock drummers. To bad he had to go so soon. Keith Moon by far was a very gifted drummer.

Keith Moon was great. When you listen to stuff such as Metal, Punk, Grunge, etc, you will usually hear something Keith Moon innovated, or that "The Who" did for that matter. He wasn't the greatest technically, and I'm not saying he was bad, but he's mostly important for his influence.

i heard something, i dont know if its true or not, but pete townshend was talking in an interview about moon, and he said a doctor was examining moons footspeed, and his one foot alone was compatable with the speed of a machine gun, thats disgustingly fast, it makes me wanna stop playing

JW89 said:
i heard something, i dont know if its true or not, but pete townshend was talking in an interview about moon, and he said a doctor was examining moons footspeed, and his one foot alone was compatable with the speed of a machine gun, thats disgustingly fast, it makes me wanna stop playing

If Moon's foot is that fast, that must makes Bonham's as fast as a Minigun!! lol.

agreed keith's foot may have been quick but nothin compares to bonhams.

I dont know... its hard to say whos foot was faster, id say they were equal, bonham had a heavy foot, but i dont know if it was as fast as keith moons foot

JW89 said:
I dont know... its hard to say whos foot was faster, id say they were equal, bonham had a heavy foot, but i dont know if it was as fast as keith moons foot

Bonham had an extremly heavy foot but also very fast. No one can match his right foot speed. He can keep up his bass roll forever with a great amount of speed.

i love keith moon, dont get me wrong, but he played a double bass setup most of the time, so we really have no idea how fast his right of left foot was. If you listen to good times bad times, you'll wonder if Bonham was hiding a nother bass drum somewhere. . . . .

Bonham to the moon said:
If you listen to good times bad times, you'll wonder if Bonham was hiding a nother bass drum somewhere. . . . .

Heck No!!! lol....Bonham at one point did have a double bass setup, but he hated it with a passion.

He learned to roll his right foot so good because he was listening to Vanilla Fudge one day and he heard Carmine Appice do a double stroke on the bass drum. So Bonham thought he would try it. It took him a little bit of time but he got it. He found out one day that the double stroke Carmine did was on a double bass set and Bonham only did it with one foot! After that he speed kept on growing and growing....

Dill X said:
Keith Moon was completely out of his mind. Plain and simple.

Ah, that's holarious, and totally true, but that's what I love about him.

His philosophy was that drums could be a lead instrument. You have to understand Keith, you have to learn to love him as a person. He was such a character. (I read a biography, because I am not impressed with his drumming either)

Keith Moon was a ball of energy. He played the drums with more passion and energy perhaps than anybody. That is what is great about Keith Moon. He practically made the who who they are. He loved to fill so much because he played exactly what he felt. He never held back, and that's okay. He was totally free, and it fit perfectly with the music. Perhaps he couldn't have been a studio or jazz drummer, but what he did contribute was the soul of the Rock and Roll Drummer to the max.

Speedy said:
Heck No!!! lol....Bonham at one point did have a double bass setup, but he hated it with a passion.

He learned to roll his right foot so good because he was listening to Vanilla Fudge one day and he heard Carmine Appice do a double stroke on the bass drum. So Bonham thought he would try it. It took him a little bit of time but he got it. He found out one day that the double stroke Carmine did was on a double bass set and Bonham only did it with one foot! After that he speed kept on growing and growing....

I had read something with one of the guys in Zeppelin saying that Bonham liked the double bass. He was trying to do the Ginger Baker two bass drum thing that was big at the time. The reason that he didn't stick with the double acording to the members of Zep (can't remember which one) is because the band didn't like him using it since he would lose the use of his high hats. When Bonham would go to the bathroom during rehersal they would go hide the second bass drum!

With that said I think Keith Moon is a very talented drummer. The movie The Kids are Alright has some incredible drumming on it. Although his playing could be sloppy, no drummer is perfect!

Last edited:
Keith Moon was great until drugs started slowing him down in the mid-70s, right around Quadrophenia. I have a DVD that sports a chronological collection of live Who performances, and once it gets to 1974, it looks like Moon starts playing in slow motion. By the time he died in his early 30s, he had lost just about all his touch, at least in live performances, and he looked like he didn't know what to do with such monster sets as he used, with layers of toms. His best period was when he used the "simple" 7-piece sets. ;p

Rudy McRudster said:
I was never a fan of Keith Moon. His style is always so sloppy and, a lot of the time, overplayed. And if there's one groove that makes my blood boil it's definately "You Better", or at least I think that's what it's called. It is just so annoying and never goes anywhere.

Keith actually didnt play on that song. It was Kenny Jones, who replaced Kieth after he died

Last edited by a moderator:
Keith Moon video- playing vistalite solo with gold fish

Here: (scroll down)

Goldfish solo

FWIW: I really don't like the solo. Yeck.

Last edited:
Back