How and how often do you guys use your practice pads?

BigDinSD

Gold Member
I know this sounds like an obvious question - and I'm looking for more of an answer than "as much as possible..."

I'm asking because I've been spending more time on my DW Go Anywhere pad set up, along with my Vic Firth practice pads. Yes...I've been practicing my Paradiddles, paraddidle-diddles, double stroke rolls.

I'm working on some fills and techniques that require a clean second bounce (where you might use a push-pull, or finger technique) rather than just bounce the stick. I know when you go very fast, sometimes you end up just bouncing it, but I'm trying to work on technique first.

So after some time on the practice pads, I jump back on to the acoustic kit. Of course, the bounce is different on the drumheads, and not as "bouncy". It seemed like the practice pads were helping me too much (yeah, I know that's why they're called practice pads).

How much time are you spending on your practice pads, and at what point do you say, "Ok, now time to do this on the kit?"

Playing the kit, for me, is #1. But, you can't play the kit 24/7. The wife ... the girlfriend ... the neighbors ... whoever is in close proximity of you, is probably not going to dig you playing drums 24/7. And so that is where the practice pad comes in.​
Play your kit as much as you can ... and play your practice pad during those times that you can't play your kit.​

i spend a lot of my day on conference calls. I always have a pad on a stand next to my desk.

For sure - you guys are right, practice pads are perfect for "quiet" time. Good points.

I have my DW Go Anywhere kit set up in my home office, right next to computers where I can grab some Youtube fills and techniques. This was convenient and so I kept it going this way for a few weeks. Got on the kit, and whoa ....OK...Now I see...

So probably practice pads "Only" when it HAS to be quiet?

I never owned a practice pad, I guess my kits are my practice pads.

Dennis

rooms sound proofed?.....lucky......

Actually they are very much sound deadened with very little transmission. If they were sound proofed, you wouldn't be able to hear anything when inside the room, lol. Yes, I can play anytime day or night. If you stand with your ear against the outside walls, you can hear the drums, but when building our house, I took major steps to keep to sound inside, which also helps to keep outside noise out.

Dennis

I have one on a stand near the TV, and one that I travel with (I do that a lot for work). I don't think of it as "real" practice, I think of it as "better than nothing."

... I don't think of it as "real" practice, I think of it as "better than nothing."

Good point. I now feel the same, thanks for putting it into words. Even the bounce from my kick pedal pad is too springy. I guess it's "better than nothing"

I also have limited time for the kit, but I find when I start my practice with the kit and then move to the pad, I am more flexible and warmed up.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I am spending a lot of time away from home, and only get to play on a set with band practice or when I am able to get home. I have a practice pad where I am staying and use it in the morning before leaving for work. If I get to work early I have a practice pad, metronome, and sticks in my desk draw that I can use.

Yeah the pads are not like the set, but besides being better than nothing, they also give me a practice that I can not get on the set.

Back