Floor Tom Legs, they aren't all the same size

konaboy

Pioneer Member
So being a typical drummer liking to mess with my setup occasionally I've felt for awhile my stock floor tom legs that I got with my yamaha kit some 25 years ago are a little to short and wanted to raise the tom up higher.(The stock ones are a few inches shorter than ones made today) So I do some looking find a nice set of Peal legs on Guitar Centers web site and tell my wife about them as a birthday idea. Well I get them yesterday go to put them in and they must be a 1/32 smaller or something because the wing nut on the ft won't grab.

These are the ones I got
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-Floor-Tom-Legs--3-Pack--101161768-i1165968.gc

So how do I go about getting the right size?

Yamaha tubing and leg size was typically different than other makers for some reason--especially back then.
They did make their own parts (maybe still do), so they could make EVERYTHING the way they wanted.
You may be able to find some Gibraltar/generic legs if you can determine the diam of the Yami leg and match it up....OR, you'll need to get a hold of a Yamaha parts catalog and order longer legs--if they offer them.

Good luck!

Yamaha tubing and leg size was typically different than other makers for some reason--especially back then.
They did make their own parts (maybe still do), so they could make EVERYTHING the way they wanted.
You may be able to find some Gibraltar/generic legs if you can determine the diam of the Yami leg and match it up....OR, you'll need to get a hold of a Yamaha parts catalog and order longer legs--if they offer them.

Good luck!

Guess I'll have to put a micrometer on them and measure then go to the store and see what they have. If not looks like a call to yamaha (really was hoping to not have to do that, gut feeling is the price will be like some dw's I saw like $65 for 3 legs :-0

Look on eBay. I have a 14 inch Renown floor tom and bought a 16 inch Catalina Maple floor tom and the legs are two different sizes.

I just miced them and one is 1/2 inch and one is 7/16ths.

Look on eBay. I have a 14 inch Renown floor tom and bought a 16 inch Catalina Maple floor tom and the legs are two different sizes.

I just miced them and one is 1/2 inch and one is 7/16ths.

Really :-0

Didn't get a chance to mic them last night, wife came down with strep yesterday and it's really kicking her butt also had practice for our 9:30 church service for sunday and tonight I have a rehearsal for the 11:00 service so looks like it will be tomorrow before I get to checking the true diameter

The good 'ol Micrometer...can't live without it now.

Never realized how much I'd use it til I got one a few years ago!

The good 'ol Micrometer...can't live without it now.

Never realized how much I'd use it til I got one a few years ago!

Yep! Use one more than I thought I would, actually use a nice dial caliper more.

Any results on the size of the yamaha legs? I am in a similar situation to the one you were in almost a year ago, Konoboy. I'm looking at ones that are 9.5 mm online.

Any results on the size of the yamaha legs? I am in a similar situation to the one you were in almost a year ago, Konoboy. I'm looking at ones that are 9.5 mm online.

No I got frustrated and just left them as is. I would say contact yamaha about them to make sure you get them right.

Something that is really cool is that the leg holders on my ddrum floor tom accept legs of any thickness. They have spring loaded clamps that open up for any size leg.

Just like L-arms, floor tom legs conform to one of three diameters: 9.5mm, 10.5mm, or 12.7mm. The trick is to figure out which your brackets are.

Gibraltar's tom/floor tom leg brackets adjust to accept all three diameters, BTW.

Something that is really cool is that the leg holders on my ddrum floor tom accept legs of any thickness. They have spring loaded clamps that open up for any size leg.

That's pretty cool and makes so much sense but then you can't limit those that own a particular brand to come back to buy the same brand stuff.

That's pretty cool and makes so much sense but then you can't limit those that own a particular brand to come back to buy the same brand stuff.
I only posted in this thread because I was impressed when I recently learned when I bought a ddrum floor tom that finally there is a universal tom leg clamp! (The eBay seller told me about it when I asked him what dia. leg that I would need) Thank you God!!!
I have had the problem with different size tom legs several times over the years.
As alparrott posted, Gibraltar makes tom leg clamps that work for all sizes.
It's about Time!

I tried using some pearl legs from a masters studio custom on my yamaha. They were too small in diameter, but still functioned. Based on the info Alparott provided, I'm assuming the pearl legs were 9.5, and my yamaha brackets are 10.5. I'm buying some 10.5 mm legs right now. When they get here, I'll post whether or not they fit.

The legs for my Gretsch Catalina floor tom are too big for my Pearl Export. So I will have to change both the tom mount and floor tom legs in my hardware box when I switch to the other drum set. For the Gretsch set, I will also have to add one cymbal stand because I put a cymbal boom into the second tom holder on the Pearl bass drum. Peace and goodwill.

Floor Tom Legs Assembly

Hello people, cherrio!!!! I would like to find parts replacement for my kit. I need to get at least three of the tom leg assemblies if possible. Any one know how I can get some???

Attachments

• Floor Tom Assy2.jpg
    Floor Tom Assy2.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 5,271
Yamaha legs are in fact a slightly different size than any other drum maker. Depending on the series, after market legs may, or may not work for you. I know for sure that older recording and tour custom drums require these Yamaha stock legs which are about 10mm width. Yamaha makes these 2 models only U0160360 (with spike) and PFLA21 (without spike). They are quite pricey, and Yamaha no longer sells them as a 3 pack with a discount! So, if you have original legs, make sure they wind up in your hardware bag after the gig!!

Back