New guy in here!

Hey there guys,

I`m back again with some new stuff. Still looking for some ideas for filling the dents in the hoops, though...
As I managed to save some money, I finally bought myself a double bass pedal and some accesories (hi-hat clutch, falam slam and pedal bag) . They`re Millenium PD-222 pedals, they`re not much of a brand but they`re prety well engineered ( Rumors say it`s a DW-3000 copy, and I tend to believe that) I`ve played on such pedals before and i really loved them. Considered the fact I couldn`t afford something more "high-end" , I bought them. They`re worth every single cent, very adjustable and stable.
dscn1596k.jpg

dscn1606t.jpg

I have a problem making even strokes. Somehow, the left strokes don`t sound as much as the right ones, or sometimes I can`t even hear them! Is it because of misproper pedal adjustment, or because of my left foot being weaker? Or maybe a combination of these two?

On the other hand... i`ve received as a gift some vintage drums (cca late 70`s) wich i`d like you guys to help me identify, but that`ll gotta be another thread.

Looking forward to your replies, hoping i`m not annoying :D

If these are your first double pedals my guess would be a weaker left foot. Try playing some hand rudiments slowly with your feet concentrating on technique and not speed. The speed will come.

If these are your first double pedals my guess would be a weaker left foot. Try playing some hand rudiments slowly with your feet concentrating on technique and not speed. The speed will come.

Indeed, even though I have played double pedals before, these are my first pedals. My former experiences were just short bursts, not playing constant 16th notes or stuff like that. I`ve noticed I can`t go faster than 8th notes with my left foot, so practicing rudiments with with my feet should help. Also, I started playing various grooves with my left foot, to strenghten it. Pedal settings are even,both spring tension and pedal height, so problem solved :)

Here are a few pics with me having fun on my drumkit, and... some autumn "romantic" shots with me and my snare :D My girlfriend would be jealous now, lol

Note the new cymbal arrangement
And, yes, althrough i never did ( and never will ) clean my heads, i cleaned my snare ehad for the shots.

dsc0425y.jpg

dsc0432b.jpg

dsc0469s.jpg

And something a bit different:

dsc0304gd.jpg

dsc0352mp.jpg

dsc0416mk.jpg

Ha, who needs a Christmas Tree?

dscn1679i.jpg

dscn1672c.jpg

I had to take my babies back home, and i always wanted such a shot. Well, with a good camera, but nevermind. I wonder how tall this would be after i`d buy the 14"x14" floor tom :)

Haha, I like that Christmas tree better than any I've seen so far! :eek:)
I can imagine your girlfriend go "WTF, how come WE never have our picture taken together!"

Pretty nice setup. Haven't heard of Millenium really, but who cares what brand or type it is, as long as you make it sound great; it's great! :eek:)
And it's black... so it's cool!

Haha, I like that Christmas tree better than any I've seen so far! :eek:)
I can imagine your girlfriend go "WTF, how come WE never have our picture taken together!"

Pretty nice setup. Haven't heard of Millenium really, but who cares what brand or type it is, as long as you make it sound great; it's great! :eek:)
And it's black... so it's cool!

Thanks for the kind words. Millenium isn`t really a big brand, it`s about the same level as Basix, cheap stuff of mediocre quality. My kit is from the med-line of kits made by Millenium. The high-end ones are from 9-ply birch, laquered shells, rim mounting system for toms, bla bla. They make basically anything drum-related: hardware, bags, brass cymbals (comparable to Paiste PST3 !),sticks,brushes, electronic kits, even various percussion items. Also they have a pretty nice variety of snares, maple, steel,brass,carbon and titanium. Some of them would sound great, i think. Remember my philosophy : There are no "no-name" brands. Just brands that are not that well-known. That doesn`t mean they suck. :)
I had this stupid idea that it has to be a big-brand (Tama, Sonor, Pearl, etc) to sound good. Now, i`ve proven myself how wrong i was. It is, indeed, all in the heads and tuning.I know there are much better kits than mine. I just don`t care, i love mine, no matter what!

Last edited:
Hey buddy. Nice pics outside. Need to get the whole kit out there next time. I see you like toms also. They are lots of fun. Good looking set up you have there. Congratulation!

I`ve got myself a new baby!
Damn, it sounds so nice!
I got it used, but it just looks like new. Judging by the serial, it`s a 2003 made cymbal, so it`s been used a little, but it looks and sounds fabulous! I just can`t wait to be able to drum again and play this cymbal, I always wanted a 2002 splash. I bought it for 215 RON, that`s roughly 50 E, so i`d say it`s a very good deal!

Here`s a pic

dscn1689g.jpg

And together with it`s bigger and older brothers :D

dscn1693w.jpg

Here`s my set-up for quieter stuff... no rehearsal space for me for now so I gotta deal with it somehow. Given the fact I live at the 4th floor of a flat, drumming in the house is out of discussion, so this is all i can do. Downsizing from a 7-piece to a 1-piece is not really fun, but it`s better than nothing.

dscn1695h.jpg

dscn1696iw.jpg

Hi,can you post a video to see how yours drums sound especially the bass drum and the snare.Because i have these drums too and they don't sound to good.I have even change the batter head on bass drum with a evans emad and the snare batter head with a remo emperor x but they still don,t sound how i wish to.

Hi,can you post a video to see how yours drums sound especially the bass drum and the snare.Because i have these drums too and they don't sound to good.I have even change the batter head on bass drum with a evans emad and the snare batter head with a remo emperor x but they still don,t sound how i wish to.

Hello Bogdan and welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately I have no mics in order to record them,all I have is this old recording for a song.You can hear the snare and bass drum pretty good.

soundcloud.com/irod-2/mother-russia-drums-only-mp3

Have you tried different tunings? EMAD's are very good heads and should sound very good if tuned properly,i have tried them myself. Try tuning them differently and see what happens. If you need any help, PM me.

Razvan

Thanks for the fast reply.Can you tell me how you tune your bass drum?

Well, i tune my bass drum in a pretty non-standard way.
I have my reso head tensioned just above wrinkle stage, tuned to the lowest possible pitch, and then tensioned just a little bit more. The batter head is pretty tensioned, about 2 - 2,5 full turns of a key. I also have a Falam Slam that helps a bit for muffling but it`s not pretty much of a difference. I have a piece of sponge inside in case i need any more muffling but i don`t use it. Also, my head combo is Remo PowerStroke 3 for the batter head and a Gretsch logo head for the reso side, wich is exactly like a Coated PowerStroke 3.

For the EMAD wich is a bit thicker, you may not need to tension your head as much as i do. Also keep in mind that you have to tune the head and only then you should add the muffling strip. If you don`t like what you hear, keep trying different things, that`s the only way to find out how to get your bass drum sounding good.

Razvan

Thanks for help my bass drum sound better now.What about the snare?

My snare is tuned to the "typical" high tension snares. Reso head is mediumly tight (about 2 - 2.5 full turns) and the batter head is way up high (4.5 - 5 full turns). Share wires are pretty tight, also, to elliminate the buzz. The snare drum sounds fuller and louder than in the recording.

Hew pics, forum!
I`ve finally got myself a rehearsal space. Actually i`m sharing a friend`s one, but that doesn`t matter. All it matters is that i`m finally back in business and i can pound my babies again! Lol, that sounds weird!
Here are a few pics.Not much has changed, i just added a few bits and pieces and my ex-guitarist`s crash and hi-hats are gone. I`m still not sure whether i like the splash where it is(i`d like it between the hi-hats and the 8" tom), but i`ll find its spot after my cymbal boom arm arrives. Also, i`m not sure if its angle is correct, as i can see (or i think i see) stick markings on the splash. Is that because of the size of it, or because of a bad angle?

dscn2120w.jpg

dscn2115t.jpg

dscn2117u.jpg

And finally, a "driver`s seat" picture.

dscn2118k.jpg

Some new stuff arrived:
I got my cymbal boom arm for the splash and got it where i find it to be the must comfortable. It really is better now :)
Also i bought a wonderful Stagg DH 16" medium crash cymbal, which is absolutely fabulous! Given the fact it is hand-hammered B20 alloy cymbal , it was a steal , considering it sounds a lot like big brand`s pro series.I took a friend with me when i bought them and he got a 17 inch crash and 18 inch china. I wanted them as well but couldn`t afford them, lol! Stagg are great cymbals, don`t be affraid to check them out!

dscn2144p.jpg

dscn2146l.jpg

Back