Book recommendations

\m/

Hi,

I've lately been looking for a book focusing on coordination and independence. I've been drumming for over a year now and I think I have pretty good coordination for the amount of time I've been playing. However, I want an instructional book that will get me to a high level of independence and coordination, (with some dedicated practice, of course).

I've been looking at Jim Chapin's Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer and 4 Way Coordination, by Marvin Dahlgren and Elliot Fin. Any recommendations on which book would be better for me? I want the book to be challenging, but not insanely hard. Also, if there are other books out there like these two, could you please mention them?

Thanks!

What exactly do you want to develo[? For example, do you plan to play jazz? If so Chapin's book is second to none.

If you simply want to develop 4 way coordination, I recommend New Breed, by Gary Chester.

What exactly do you want to develo[? For example, do you plan to play jazz? If so Chapin's book is second to none.

If you simply want to develop 4 way coordination, I recommend New Breed, by Gary Chester.

Well, I do want to develop four way coordination, but if I can learn some useful jazz patterns at the same time I would be inclined to pick Chapin's book.

Well, I do want to develop four way coordination, but if I can learn some useful jazz patterns at the same time I would be inclined to pick Chapin's book.

You cannot go wrong using Chapin's book. It's sensational. A classic.

Four Way Coordination - straight 8th and 16th note
1101763_6543_popup.jpg

Four Way Coodination - Jazz (swung 8ths and triplet)
1125511_10502_popup.jpg

Jeff

Hi,

I've lately been looking for a book focusing on coordination and independence. I've been drumming for over a year now and I think I have pretty good coordination for the amount of time I've been playing. However, I want an instructional book that will get me to a high level of independence and coordination, (with some dedicated practice, of course).

I've been looking at Jim Chapin's Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer and 4 Way Coordination, by Marvin Dahlgren and Elliot Fin. Any recommendations on which book would be better for me? I want the book to be challenging, but not insanely hard. Also, if there are other books out there like these two, could you please mention them?

Thanks!

The Essence of Jazz Drumming b. Jim Blackley

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! I'll have to do some research and decide which one is best for me.

Back