My First Ludwig Acrolite

I will probably put a coated Amb on it. There's an Acro on the kit where I rehearse that I just love the sound of. I'm hoping I can achieve the same sound or close.

I will probably put a coated Amb on it. There's an Acro on the kit where I rehearse that I just love the sound of. I'm hoping I can achieve the same sound or close.

Take your drum and try tuning it with the other Acro next to it and get all the tension rods to the same pitch on the top and bottom. That should get you where you want it to be fairly easily!!

I just bought this snare with the backpack and stand on eBay. I've been wanting an Acro and like the Black Galaxy finish a lot so I pulled the trigger. I've been seeing conflicting opinions on whether it sounds the same as vintage Acros. I hope I'm not disappointed.

There will always be different opinions on whether vintage Acros (as well as Supras) sound better than the new ones. I have played both, and can honestly say that given same heads, snares, and equal tunings, 90% of drummers can not really discern a difference. those who say they can often say they hear a difference because they expect a difference. bottom line is you have and outstanding drum, so just enjoy it!

There will always be different opinions on whether vintage Acros (as well as Supras) sound better than the new ones. I have played both, and can honestly say that given same heads, snares, and equal tunings, 90% of drummers can not really discern a difference. those who say they can often say they hear a difference because they expect a difference. bottom line is you have and outstanding drum, so just enjoy it!

I'm pretty sure I'll like it a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes my main snare. I will definitely bring it to the rehearsal space and try to match the sound and compare.

I just tracked the package and it's in NYC. Pick up those New York vibes, baby!

I got my Blacro today. It's in pretty much mint condition and is quite a beauty. Sounds great with the stock heads (Rockers Heavy Coated on top and Resonant Snare on the bottom) so I'll probably wear those out first before changing. The black galaxy finish is very nice and looks better than I was expecting. Came with a nice backpack bag and stand for playing standing up which I don't have much use for but could be used for a tom.

One curious thing that seems to be particular to only the Blacro; the placement of the tone control. On "regular" Acros the tone knob is in the back easily accessible to the player. On the Blacro it's on the front one panel away from the badge. I doubt I'll use it much but that's a weird place to put it. Other than that it's a great inexpensive snare that looks and sounds expensive.

I got my first ever Acrolite a few months back. It was traded to me along with some cash for a snare I had. To be honest, I have owned it for a few months and have not gigged with it yet. I may take it out to my next rehearsal and give it a try.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 600
Yours has the knob in that spot too. Guess it's not just the black ones. Maybe just the newer models. Still a weird spot.

I dunno - I had a Black Galaxy Acro that sounded great, but I ended up getting rid of it because there was just something to that snare I couldn't put my finger on that I didn't like. Bought a '66 Acro on a whim about a month ago and it hasn't left my kit since. I like it so much that I'm seriously considering selling my LM402 Supra, my 14x8" walnut stave and my 14x6" USA Pork Pie maple snare, because I don't even touch any of them anymore :p

What I really like about the Acrolite is it's so dry sounding, but still projects like a champ. I hate ringy snares and my Supra, while only being an inch and a half taller, is one ringy mofo - same with my stave. The Pork Pie is an excellent snare, but it's very dry like the Acro and I think I prefer the metallic tone of the Acro a bit more.

I dunno - I had a Black Galaxy Acro that sounded great, but I ended up getting rid of it because there was just something to that snare I couldn't put my finger on that I didn't like...What I really like about the Acrolite is it's so dry sounding, but still projects like a champ.

Indeed. The older, gray Acro sounds drier, sharper and QUITE louder (at least to my ears). Over the years, every time I re-purchased a "blacro", although the sound was pretty much the same, I just found it mushier and mushier. I know this is not the best aural description, but it is the one that comes to mind that best describes my appreciation of the produced sound: it was bland, lacked focus and did not have enough bite.

Then I played a gray one ONCE: BAM! A beast. Crack, cut, volume, personality: it was all there. If I didn't already have four (4) Supras, I'd get one.

Meh - who am I kidding? I probably will anyway... >:-D

Indeed. The older, gray Acro sounds drier, sharper and QUITE louder (at least to my ears). Over the years, every time I re-purchased a "blacro", although the sound was pretty much the same, I just found it mushier and mushier. I know this is not the best aural description, but it is the one that comes to mind that best describes my appreciation of the produced sound: it was bland, lacked focus and did not have enough bite.

Then I played a gray one ONCE: BAM! A beast. Crack, cut, volume, personality: it was all there. If I didn't already have four (4) Supras, I'd get one.

Meh - who am I kidding? I probably will anyway... >:-D

Haha. Yeah, I mean... it doesn't really make sense how a metal shelled snare would really different in sound, unless the formula had changed or hardware, etc... but I'd say if there's any difference in the Acrolite line, it's between the Blacro and the others, as there's a layer of paint over the shell.

Back