What ever happened to music...

Typical metalcore stuff. I think this style of music has probably peaked. Bands have been doing the mad guy/sad guy w/ breakdowns thing for awhile now.
I do like Underoath, Hawthorn Heights, From First to Last etc. which pretty much sound like these guys. I can listen to this stuff sometimes, not my favorite but its alright. The sound has become a bit played out though, especially when the drummer does a bass drop on every breakdown.

Most of my favorite types of music(classic rock, fusion, funk) were made from 1968-1982. I do listen to more modern music too. I don't wanna be one of those guys that live in the past. I don't like the production on most modern rock or metal albums thought. Its always so compressed & un-organic.

Typical metalcore stuff. I think this style of music has probably peaked. Bands have been doing the mad guy/sad guy w/ breakdowns thing for awhile now.
I do like Underoath, Hawthorn Heights, From First to Last etc. which pretty much sound like these guys. I can listen to this stuff sometimes, not my favorite but its alright. The sound has become a bit played out though, especially when the drummer does a bass drop on every breakdown.

Most of my favorite types of music(classic rock, fusion, funk) were made from 1968-1982. I do listen to more modern music too. I don't wanna be one of those guys that live in the past. I don't like the production on most modern rock or metal albums thought. Its always so compressed & un-organic.

I like some of it too. Like August Burns Red and Converge etc. etc. But this is pretty awful, especially the second band. They're trying to be The Locust and Dillinger Escape Plan but instead just making noise. The first band is just.... Unbareable as is the first.

They're just trying to bring metal to the masses.

Yeah, it's all autotuned now too. Haha.

They're just trying to bring metal to the masses.

Shame on them Pol. Metal isn't meant to be for the masses.......it thrives in the seedy underbelly. That unique underground clique where only a select few dare to tread.

Wait.....I'm living in the past......damn you Black Album!!!

Shame on them Pol. Metal isn't meant to be for the masses.......it thrives in the seedy underbelly. That unique underground clique where only a select few dare to tread.

Wait.....I'm living in the past......damn you Black Album!!!

Sometimes I hear metal on ads. That's when they want to sell something exciting and tough to appeal to testosterone-afflicted youth.

Agree with The Indian, heavily processed sounding music doesn't do it for me either. There's definitely a strong trend towards non-organic music, though. A lot of young people have had their ears trained to the new sound and think organic = sloppy.

Time marches on and I'm left behind - just like my parents.

Bringing metal to the masses?.....I say it's a half-assed attempt at best, if that.

Granted that metal isn't the only genre I listen to, it's one of my most favorites. In my opinion, it's bands like the two that the OP posted that give metal a bad name. That stuff wasn't really even viable on a musical level, either. The first song was flat-out horrible - it didn't flow, the production quality sounds like an exact clone of similar bands that've just recently popped up. Like Polly said, it's not organic. I'm 17 and I wouldn't consider my ears to be "trained to the new sound" because I think a good bit of the more modern music is horrible. It doesn't have that IT factor that so much older music has.

I'd say that being stuck in the past is a good thing. IMO, that's where all the greatest music is, if you take the time / effort to dig really deep into it!

Agree with The Indian, heavily processed sounding music doesn't do it for me either. There's definitely a strong trend towards non-organic music, though. A lot of young people have had their ears trained to the new sound and think organic = sloppy.

Bringing metal to the masses?.....I say it's a half-assed attempt at best, if that.

Of course it is. If it was real metal song (as opposed to power pop with metal teasers) it wouldn't be a high production video on YouTube with advertising and an announcement about their new, big singing.

It's a commercial venture - these groups don't exist to play good music, the idea is to shift units and increase dividends. Creatively, they would see it as exploring the possibilities in a relatively unexplored area - the pop/metal hybrid. No doubt there's be an audience for it - maybe kids in their early teens.

No doubt! I've been exposed to several at my school like that. They listen to bands that are a lot more serious than that (August Burns Red, etc...), but still come off to me as a bunch of sellouts.

It must be my aversion to music from the past decade in general...

Well I am 46 and most of the music I listen to comes from this past decade and on. To me the musicians get better, the lyrics get better, the sound gets better, the instruments get better. I have no use for most of the psychedelic stuff, from the 60's and 70's. Oh, and I really like RED. :)

Well I am 46 and most of the music I listen to comes from this past decade and on. To me the musicians get better, the lyrics get better, the sound gets better, the instruments get better. I have no use for most of the psychedelic stuff, from the 60's and 70's. Oh, and I really like RED. :)

Oh man, you're sure missing out there.

Re: "What ever happened to music"...

The answer is simple and yet very profound. All styles of popular American music have already seen their greatest days.

There several hundred thousand bands out there putting out music these days.

So you found two you didn't like. Not a big deal, just move on until you find one you do like.

Re: "What ever happened to music"...

The answer is simple and yet very profound. All styles of popular American music have already seen their greatest days.

I agree to a certain extent. I would not go quite as far though. The focus on musicianship & improvisation is certainly less important in modern music. Along with the edit & paste style of producing albums that has become the norm. It would probably have been easier to become a working musician 30 or 40 years ago though.

There is still a lot of good music being made. Most of it is not going to have a place in the traditional mainstream though. The less commercial based music is on the net now as opposed to when there was more of it on tv or radio in the past. Certain genres & formats have peaked though, over the last few decades. Rock music is not as popular as it once was. Jazz equals music in elevators to most people these days. Dance and hip-hop have taken a much more prominent role in recent years. Things are changing. Music will always be present but it is always evolving.

Dont' get me wrong I love the classics but I do like some of the mainstream music of today too. Good music recently made (imho): Killswitch Engage, Silversun Pickups, Deadsy, Jon Mayer, Stone Sour, Kanye West. I can even stand some of the mainstream pop stuff occaisionally.

The tunes are still there, but they are a not the same as they were back in the day. As much as I love classic rock, I really couldn't stand those 70's throwback bands that were popular in the 2000's. (Jet, Wolfmother, etc) Not that those bands weren't good musicians. Their music seemed to lack originality, & to me was more about going backward than forward.

I dig 2 types of music, the kind that moves me emotionally & music that make me want to move physically. Good stuff is still here, you just have to find it!

Last edited:
Now that I'm older I'm finding it hard to find new music that speaks to intelligent adults who'd prefer not to be immersed in smooth jazz (elevator music) or characterless virtuosity.

Most of what I'm coming across on radio is either music for young people or music that speaks to older people's glory days.

Of the newer music the closest I've found are Black Dub and Cinematic Orchestra.

These days, there are more people who want to play metal, than want to listen to it.

Many thumbs up.

Metal has more so-called 'sub genres' than all the other genres of music put together. Metal guy's (in my experience) are also the most likely to limit their intake of music to just metal, and a few other random bands. Why limit yourself? Its all good.

Back