Best Female Drummer?

Terri Lynne HANDS DOWN. I saw here play at Namm in a small booth and I'm telling you, none of the women mentioned here can even touch her. She is an awesome drummer. If your on the Herrbie Hancock list as a drummer then come on, your held in some serious company like Vinnie and some other heavy cats have done that gig. She smokes all the girls!!!

I just watched the youtube clip of Hillary Jones and she is awesome. Lots of skills and played in a very musical way. I would love to play like her. You could not mention Megs name anywhere near Hillarys. If a guy was drumming in the WS and and played exactly like Meg, he would get laughed off the stage. Meg gets away with it because she is an attractive woman I'm sure. There are some awesome female drummers around, and to be honest, there is no reason why there shouldn't be. I think in the past, drums maybe weren't considered a feminie instrument.

Not to start another Meg debate, but I think you're very slyly using her gender against her here. Not only does she not get a free pass from a lot of people (simply read the threads bashing her around here, incl. yours) but I would hope that a male drummer would do EXACTLY what she does in that context. She plays the gig. She plays her concept, and her audience derives enjoyment and fulfillment from that concept. Job done. Agree or disagree, her gender should have nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Not to start another Meg debate, but I think you're very slyly using her gender against her here. Not only does she not get a free pass from a lot of people (simply read the threads bashing her around here, incl. yours) but I would hope that a male drummer would do EXACTLY what she does in that context. She plays the gig. She plays her concept, and her audience derives enjoyment and fulfillment from that concept. Job done. Agree or disagree, her gender should have nothing to do with it.

Minimalistic 4/4 drum patterns suit the music of the White Stripes, I'm sure she could bust out some chops if she felt the need to.

I think I may have stated already (somewhere), that gender shouldn't have anything to do with this. If you're good, you're good. That said, if Justin Bieber ever played drums, he'd make a great female drummer ;)

Not sure if she has been mentioned but check out Nikki Glaspie (Beyonce) she's unreal!!
And her white DW kit at Glastonbury was insannnnnnneeee

Hm i don't know why you'd separate women and men. Both are equally advantaged as far as learning an instrument goes. I personally don't listen to any female drummers, but i still think they should be regarded and grouped together with the male drummers, because otherwise you're separating based on gender, which isn't very nice.

Hm i don't know why you'd separate women and men. Both are equally advantaged as far as learning an instrument goes. I personally don't listen to any female drummers, but i still think they should be regarded and grouped together with the male drummers, because otherwise you're separating based on gender, which isn't very nice.

I concur. I hope you follow me in supporting immediate integration of the Olympics!

As well as prisons.

Separating by sex (gender is a language concept, not a biological one) is just dead wrong. And un-nice, too.

Terri Lynne is the most technically accomplished that I've heard; she plays exactly like a man. That deaf woman who plays classical percussion (name escapes me at present) is a superb player. Cindy Blackman is another fine player who can cut plenty of styles.

Personally, I like Moe Tucker a lot even if she's very basic; she was highly original and played a major role in creating the atmosphere of Velvet Underground's music.

i like moe tucker,very original,cindy is also very good.

Meytal said in a video that she doesn't know how to tune drums, she just likes them low. lol
I really like Emmanuelle Caplette.

She has her hats set real low too. I am twice her size (6'3" 235 lbs) and my hats are higher needless to say.

I do like the sound of her cymbals but no sustain whatsoever from them- maybe just the recording..

What a silly thread! When was the last time any of you saw a drum set in the kitchen?

I don't know many female drummers, but I like Sheila E. for her combination of musicianship and showmanship. Not hard to look at either. . .

Back