Proto Cosmos - Transcription of Just The Beats ?

Geoff J

I transcribed my own "New Real Book" style chart in Finale of the bass,chords, melody, and rhythm punches.I will be glad to provide a copy to someone can at least provide a transcription of the beat for the melody after the break & at least the first chorus of solo. If you can get some of those fills, that would be nice, but not necessary.

I'd like to include that as a sample pattern, and will credit whoever ranscribed it on the actual chart as a transcriptionist. At this juncture, I am not a commercial transcriptionist and did not get hired to do this. This is a labor of love at this point

Last edited:
Which version?

Just curious here, but wouldn't a "Real Book" style chart intentionally omit the drum fills, in favor of rhythmic "hits", so a drummer can lend his own style?

Which version?

Just curious here, but wouldn't a "Real Book" style chart intentionally omit the drum fills, in favor of rhythmic "hits", so a drummer can lend his own style?

Legit point, but in my original post and the thread title, I tried to make it clear that I emphasized the beats (i.e. grooves) played over the head, and over the solo section, which eclipsed any desire for the fills.

The New Real Books by Sher have sample drum grooves for "A" sections, solo sections, etc . . ., so I believe that my request for sample grooves (not the fills) for "A' section & Solo section is reasonable.

As to which version, the prominent versions seem to be the original, the Alan Holdsworth REH intructional video w/ Chad W, and the Greg Howe version w/DC.

Since no one was able to reply, I was left to my own devices as a guitarist attempting to "ear" out the beats that DC played since it had the best production.

Here's a demo of it
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10062145

Do you think those beats would suffice for say, 4 measures of a notated sample beat in the event the drummer has no audio available and/or has never heard the tune ?

Last edited:
The New Real Books by Sher have sample drum grooves for "A" sections, solo sections, etc . . ., so I believe that my request for sample grooves (not the fills) for "A' section & Solo section is reasonable.

I wasn't aware of this, thank you!

Dennis Chambers and Chad Wackerman play it quite differently. DC plays "1, and ah 2, and ah 3, and ah", opening the hi-hat on the downbeats, and plays a snare backbeat on beat 2. Chad Wackerman plays a varied ride cymbal feel, with a snare backbeat on beat 2 or 3, sometimes on all downbeats. Both are different, and both work. Adjusting for equal volume, I think Dennis' feel is more intense, Wackerman's is more subdued.

You might add the "1, and ah 2, and ah 3, and ah" pattern for the hi-hat, so the drummer knows he ought to not play straight 8ths or quarters all the time. Going further, you might add a second drum beat variation, using the ride cymbal, and maybe adding a snare backbeat on beat 3.

The soundfile is great! Nice work!

Brent, yes the 16ths on the upbeat make it groove much better. Thanks, man !

Thanks for the other suggestions, too

All, I am wrestling with where the placement of the accents are at certain points

My chart is here for reference. http://www.divshare.com/download/13752372-2d3

I seem 97% on the head section that's after the intro & before the solos, it's 3/4 - 3/4, then the hits occuring on the downbeat on a measure of 2/4

However, I am wrestling with another possibility which occurs, not on the head section, but on the drum solo section.

It seems that there is a measure of 3/4, then the hits occur on the "e" of 3 on a measure of 4/4 following that first 3/4 measure

I actually notated an example of that on page 2 of the chart

TWO QUESTIONS :
(1) Does the 3/4 - 4/4 measure happen w/ the "e" of 3 accent on the 4/4 msr AS WELL AS the 3/4 - 3/4 - 2/4 , with the accents happening on the "1" of the 2/4 msr ?

(2) Is my sample beat ok, and alternate beat ok on page 2, notation wise and composition wise ?

Last edited:
Back