Ludwig Serial Numbers - Vintage Snares

RodneyZepa

I've got a Ludwig 5x14 Supraphonic which has a Serial Number of 10029 which would put it in 1964…This is a really low number when I compare it to a 1964 Keystone Snare on EBay with Serial Number of 135409…This would indicate that Ludwig produced 125,380 drums from when they made my snare and the Keystone I am using as an example…Thats a lot of drums ain't it…Based on 40 hour work week (2080 hours in a year) , that would be 60 drums per hour…I'm speculating here as for all I know they may have been running one - two or three shifts daily at any given time…My Supro has everything original but sad part is the chrome was so badly peeled that I had it lightly sand blasted (Outside of shell only) and now it looks like an Acrolite…Has very nice tone to it and I can use it for any type of music…I am curious if any drummers or collectors have drums with similar numbering (5 digits) and if they know of any other historical or relevant information regarding this topic...

Attachments

• 64-1.jpg
    64-1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,176
I've got a Ludwig 5x14 Supraphonic which has a Serial Number of 10029 which would put it in 1964…This is a really low number when I compare it to a 1964 Keystone Snare on EBay with Serial Number of 135409…This would indicate that Ludwig produced 125,380 drums from when they made my snare and the Keystone I am using as an example…Thats a lot of drums ain't it…Based on 40 hour work week (2080 hours in a year) , that would be 60 drums per hour…I'm speculating here as for all I know they may have been running one - two or three shifts daily at any given time…My Supro has everything original but sad part is the chrome was so badly peeled that I had it lightly sand blasted (Outside of shell only) and now it looks like an Acrolite…Has very nice tone to it and I can use it for any type of music…I am curious if any drummers or collectors have drums with similar numbering (5 digits) and if they know of any other historical or relevant information regarding this topic...

Maybe a low estimate. At their peak LUDWIG was producing 650-700 supra's p/h! That's 11.25 supra's a minute... and all thanks to Ringo!

Now if you believe that, I've got some low serial numbers for ya.

Attachments

• Picture 222.jpg
    Picture 222.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 920
Some models may have started with 100,000 just for separation. We run numbers for purchase orders at work that start the year with 100,000 or 200,000.

While your drums serial numder does correspond to a drum,made in 64,the one on Ebay...does not.That drum would have been made in 65 ,according to the new revised Geir chart.Serial numbers also can't be used to narrow down production numbers,for numerous reason,.Whole series of numbers were skipped,as well as some badges destroyed,lost or misplaced.So serial numbers don't in anyway indicate actual numbers of drums produced.

Based on info from Ludwig,at the time.They were working 24 hours a day,6 days a week and turning out a little over 100 full kits a day,not to mention marchers and concert,drums,Marimbas ,xylophones,tympanies and hardware.That also dosen't take into account special and custom orders.

Steve B

Last edited:
Back