Flat leg stands vs regular pros and cons?

Elite Drummer

Hi, I was deciding between cymbal stands that have the flat legs and then the regular legs.
What are the pros and cons? Keep in mind I am trying to fit as much as I can and I am trying to conserve space! Thank you

Hi, I was deciding between cymbal stands that have the flat legs and then the regular legs.
What are the pros and cons? Keep in mind I am trying to fit as much as I can and I am trying to conserve space! Thank you

Many folks like the flat-base stands to go with vintage sets, to keep a classic vibe and look. Not all flat-based stands have features that allow legs to position over each other, though, which can impact footprint of the kit. Also, flat base stands can be less suitable for heavier toms and cymbals on booms.

The tradeoff for tripod stands is weight. They are typically heavier. But you also gain stability with that weight. They don't tend to take up much more space than flat-based stands in terms of square footage.

Racks are a heavier but often more space-conscious option, especially the Gibraltar Stealth side racks.

Here's the real trade-off: stability. It's not even so much the weight because the newer flat-based stands weigh as much as my Yamaha 600-series stands and Tama's single-braced StageMaster stands. I've owned both types and I trust tripod-based stands more. Flat-based stands are very top heavy and in my case, were easy to knock over.

Stability has never been an issue for me of However I don't mount extra things off of my stands. I have the pre-atlas Ludwig flat base stand that are super light weight. I don not use a flat-base hi-hat stand or snare stands. Snare stands are lightweight and compact enough and I have not really had a chance to try out flat base hi-hat stands besides an old Ludwig Standard that I really like. I use these stands for a 16" K custom fast crash (lightweight), 20" K custom dry ride (Super Heavy) and a 18" Armand Beautiful Baby (medium weigh) they hold up well and also the Dry ride sounds better on it. I never thought that cymbal stands contributed to the sound of a cymbal but they do.

I have no problems positioning these stands.

As for cons; if you like to mount extra things off of your stands (toms, extra cymbals, etc.) It may not work as well but I have not tried it and my stands are much more lightweight than the newer Flat base stands.

Edit: Saying that the stands make the cymbals sound different is a very small thing not noticed unless you are right up on the cymbal, so I wouldn't call that a pro or con.

20140403_210807.jpg

Last edited:
A flat-base stand will tuck next to a bass drum tighter than a tripod-base stand, particularly useful for a ride cymbal on a single rack tom set-up.

I use vintage Ludwig 1400 stands for cymbals and snare, some with a small twist. I've taken some old tripod snare bases, and used them on some cymbal stands, for a little more stability. In this photo, the ride is on a flat-base, the crash on a modified 1400.

signet4.jpg

Still, they're compact, lightweight, and plenty sturdy even for fairly hard playing. I haven't used my old heavy stands in about 10 years. :)

Bermuda

I keep my DW 6000 stands in my bag, ready to go and use the 9000s for practice (just leaving them set up). I do like the positions of the ride cymbal using a flat base stand more, as I can get it (as mentioned above) right next to the bass drum shell.

Biggest cymbal I have on them is a 22-inch K constantinople (just over 2000g) and have no concern that it will fall over or move.

I have a flat leg stand that I use to hold up my no-leg hi-hat stand. one leg goes underneath both the hi-hat pedal, and my left bass pedal. I have a double bass kit, so this lets me get a hi-hat in close without having to clamp it to my bass drum, so big pro for me there. Also have an artillery shell bell and a splash coming off the stand.

Back