For the runners - 1:42:44 - 1/2M

B-squared

Silver Member
I had a decent half marathon today, for me anyway. I went under my best time from back when I was 27. I ran a 1:43 something back then. Now that I'm 52, I'm faster, but so is my competition. I would have finished 3rd among men 20-29, but in the men, 50-59, I finished 5th out of 8. Wow, this is getting tougher as I get older. Here is the brutal truth:

http://www.runnercard.com/runner/data/22326/4748/Result/Mens_Half_Marathon_Run.htm

I have a full marathon coming up June 2nd in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. The town is beautiful; the race is a beast. It's a ski town and the start elevation is 8128 ft (2477 m.) the finish is at 6728 ft. (2051 m.). It is dry and it gets hot at that elevation unless you get some cloud cover. You can sunburn quickly. I hope I'm ready. I hope Larryz, Arky, and more of our forum runners contribute their race times, tips, and experiences here. Racing season is upon us.

Hey, great job. I'm 49 and I'm trying to break 2 hours. I've got the Twin Lights Half Marathon in Gloucester, Mass in early May.

My competitive running days are long gone, but I can appreciated what you guys do, and those are really good times. The longest race I used to run was 10K. In high school track I used to run the mile and 2-mile, then as I got older I went to the shorter 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile.

B-squared, congrats on your personal best! That's a decent time and 10 minutes faster than I did so far (although as you might remember my recent 1/2M was far from perfect, haha).

Haven't been doing much running after that race but as we know, regardless of times and personal bests, running is just so much fun and beneficial to one's health (both physical and mental) so basically it's great to any running at all.

As with pretty much everything, I experienced how hard it is to get back into something once the training continuity has been interrupted. In fact, whenever I would pick up running again and experience how hard it is to get into it after some hiatus I keep remembering how long it has been taking me every time so I would know in advance, haha. Otherwise it would tend to be a frustrating experience.

So anybody who is into running or any kind of sports - keep in mind we're all heroes ;-)

Thanks Arky!

I love the sport and one of the fringe benefits is that hauling my drums around and playing long gigs isn't too much for me. I really think my running helps my drumming. It keeps me relaxed and focused and I think I play better.

I am looking forward to the Steamboat Marathon in June. I want to bring some demo tapes of my band to possibly pick up some gigs there. It's a resort town, and playing there is basically a paid vacation. I still have to cover that 26.2 mile thing when I'm there. :)

Well done! Anyone who gets under 2 hours deserves praise, but you did even better. Good job, and keep up the good work!

If my math is correct ,that's about 7:50/mile, great for your age.
I still run, but haven't timed myself in years, and hardly ever over 6 miles, anymore. (60) Ran the Cowtown Marathon in 3:20 years ago, but obviously that's no exceptional time. (Genetics has more to do with it than anything I suspect). Fastest 10K time was 5:57/mile, at age 28.
Keep us posted.

Thanks again, I appreciate the encouragement. BTW, I saw someone with a Cowtown Marathon shirt in the race. I have heard that is a pretty good one. I have some relatives down there (Plano), I may have to do that one. February is a good time for a race because it keeps you active during the winter.

A 3:20 is nothing to sneeze at. That's good work! I am hoping to get under 4:00 at some point this year. Steamboat will be a hard place to do it, but I am thinking of doing three this year. We will see, I guess.

That's a great time. Really. I hate to say "considering your age" but it's true. How many others are running a half marathon or even running at all? I give props to anyone out there exercising, running and trying to stay healthy. It's good for you and your loved ones. A marathon in Colorado sounds like a bunch of tough hills to me. Good luck. My approach would be conservative through 20 miles then see how you feel from there. I have a tough 10k this Saturday then the Ogden half marathon in very hilly Wheeling WV. My 22nd time running that one. I say if I can do that race and finish every year I must be doing something right. Good luck and congrats!

jamjohn, contragulations! Yes, a personal best is always a great feeling.
And you got under 2 hours, that's a fine achievement, too.

Congrats John! Awesome. Half marathon is really the ideal distance for me at least. Challenging without all the danger of a marathon's mile 20-26.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the congrats. I'm really proud of that. For a 49 year old I feel like that's respectable.

It's almost time for my first FM of the year. I am running the Steamboat Marathon in Steamboat Springs,Colorado on June 2nd. Today was my last long training run. I ran 25 miles in 4:03. It was just training but I am getting close to the 4:00 barrier. I think I can get it this year, but maybe not in this race. It's at altitude, which for me, means dry. I am accustomed to the thin air, but anyone who has been skiing in Colorado in the spring knows that 60 degrees F can feel like 95. The thin atmosphere means little UV protection and it will be hot and dry.

Fortunately, it's a resort town and it's got great restaurants, bars, and hot springs so I have a great place to recover. It's going to be fun. Maybe I can get my band a gig up there while I'm there. :)

Back