Happy 50th!!

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
It was 50 years ago today (or yesterday depending where you live)...

Thanks for the music, Mick, Keef and Charlie.

With honourable mention to Brian, Bill, Stu, Mick T, Ronnie and Darryl, whose valuable contributions have made the ride so much more fun.

I know, it's only rock 'n roll......but I LOVE it!!

Any chance of 50 more?

Beggar's Banquet

Let It Bleed

Sticky Fingers

Exile On Main Street

Just those four albums are enough to convince anyone that the Stones were a truly great rock band. If that wasn't enough, have a look at the videos of their Exile tour. I was there and it was amazing, the band was tight and the show was bone shaking.

God, how I loved the Stones when I was a kid. I still say that Exile On Main Street is the greatest rock 'n roll album ever made.

I don't know what to make of the fact that they still tour, though. It reminds me of Frank Sinatra, who kept on selling out concert halls long after his voice was gone.

Beggar's Banquet

Let It Bleed

Sticky Fingers

Exile On Main Street

Yep. It really doesn't get much better than that.

The greatest thing about the invention of the iPod/iPhone, is that wherever I go, whatever I do, those 4 albums come with me.

I don't know what to make of the fact that they still tour, though. It reminds me of Frank Sinatra, who kept on selling out concert halls long after his voice was gone.

Too young for their heyday. Caught the Voodoo Lounge tour in the 90's and the 40 Licks tour in '03. I expected a lot and they delivered in spades both times. I was just stoked for the chance to see them.....in any condition. Old, maybe....their best definitely in the past....but far from finished as a live act, at least in the eyes of this fan.

If you've got it, flaunt it, I say......even at 50!! :)

Jumpin' Jack Flash was the first song that I ever played with my first school band. 30 years later my son's school band is struggling with a set list and i teach them the same song.

To hear them play it live was wierd.. nice wierd.

What a band. What a history.

Never a fan. In the 70s I was in a band led by a RS fanatic - we covered at least six of their tunes, Chuck Berry, Dr Feelgood, George Thoroughgood and later, bizarrely, The Pistols. Maybe not so bizarre. The Stones were definitely outlaws, and they were outlaws for the right reason ... not to rebel, just a refusal to let pushy spoilsports stop the party.

My favourite RS cover in our set was Ain't Too Proud to Beg - the ride bell in the verse is a great line. The Stones version was much more convincing than Bette Middler's - she sounded so powerful and compelling I couldn't imagine her having to beg for anything.

I never rated Charlie as a drummer back then in that very adolescent way. With age I've warmed more to The Stones and I love Charlie's playing now. Saw a clip of him jamming with some guys and he was awesome - 1234 bang bang and right in the pocket. I think he's one of those drummers who's appreciated more by those who are playing with him than the audience.

A great band with a lifetime of great songs. Though I don't think they had one really "great" album, from beginning to end though, like almost all of the Beatles work, or some of the Led Zep albums. Maybe Some Girls was the greatest album. John and Paul gave them their first hit too, "I Wanna Be Your Man", which of course Ringo did as well.

Mick ain't the best singer ever, but phrasing and stage presence were his strengths. You could feel it even in the studio recordings. Take "Miss You" and "Shattered". They didn't have many anthems like the Beatels either. I'd put the Stones in my Top 20 or 30 all time favorite bands though. I admire that Mick has stayed relatively drug free and level headed too.

What better to get going than, "Start me up" I really like their very first stuff the most, but hey I'm old

"Can't you hear me knockin' " & "Paint it Black" my favorite Charlie tunes..the stones still kick-ass...\m/

Bonzolead

"Can't you hear me knockin' " & "Paint it Black" my favorite Charlie tunes..

My faves too.

I've taken for granted how many great songs they played - Gimme Shelter was epic, Ry Cooder's slide in Sister Morphine in just incredible (and I love the way Charlie comes in), Sympathy for the Devil, Miss You ... there's some good uns that I've heard way too many times too.

My faves too.

I've taken for granted how many great songs they played - Gimme Shelter was epic, Ry Cooder's slide in Sister Morphine in just incredible (and I love the way Charlie comes in), Sympathy for the Devil, Miss You ... there's some good uns that I've heard way too many times too.
Anything on sticky fingers is great IMO Charlie & Ringo are very similar in the way that they play for the song & not themselves much too be said about that.

Sister Morphine what a tune.

Bonzolead

The publicity photo (below) that was released to mark their anniversary was taken in front of a mock-up of the original Marquee club which was where they played their 1st gig in 1962. The club at that time was located at 165 Oxford St (Westminster); unfortunately for anyone hoping to make a rock pilgrimage to this hallowed spot - that address is now a branch of the Santander bank.

Attachments

• d4cf69cb908fe67fd0d34aa41fbc2431.jpg
    d4cf69cb908fe67fd0d34aa41fbc2431.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 171
I thought this was the official one.

Ha! Abe... mine's a bigger pic than yours... :)

Parsons+Jagger+&+Keef+Cartoon

LOL, Henri, I thought by now Micks lower lip would be on da flo'. Seriously though I saw them a few years ago at Madison Sq Garden, and old man Mick can still put a lot of front men to shame.. the man was electric.

The Immortal...Rolling Stones!

For me it always ring true "Street Fighting Man", "The Last Time", "Sympathy For The Devil", "Tumbling Dice" and Undercover Of The Night.

...Rock N' Roll legends!

who else could have moves like Jagger?

so I guess the Beatles would be celebrating their 50th....if they didn't break up over 40 years ago ;)

so I guess the Beatles would be...

ThreadJack!!

Man, I love Charlie Watts. I'm a grown man and I'll say it. I've played to his records. I love it. Shattered. Totally great. Everything off Satanic Majesties. So much great stuff. Old and later.
I saw them at Candlestick on the Tattoo You tour and they killed it!! At least I think they did....I was so focused on watching Charlie that day that I barely remember the rest. He's a pocket-master!

Back