Tony Royster Jr.

Tony Royster

Tony Royster what do you guys think of him. I have not bought his new dvd yet but I hope to see it. I just want to know is it going to be worth the money.

Re: Tony Royster

Hi, I just ordered the new video, it's called Pure Energy. I should be receiving it tomorrow. It was recommended to me by some of my gospel drumming friends back East who told me I have to check it out. I've only seen clips of this kid, but I really want to start incorporating this style of drumming into my own playing. It was $47, and I usually don't shell out that much, but I'm sick of downloading tons of short clips.

What's up guys?!?!

My name is Paul-Devon Lewow and I am the lead singer for the Atlanta-based rock band Lazyeye; currently signed to Ludacris's Disturbing Tha Peace Records.

We have had the absolute honor of working with Tony over the past few months and have brought him in to the writing circle with us... It has been an absolutely amazing experience and one that any true musician would cherish!

We will hopefully be in the studio here within the next month or so and we will be showcasing in NYC in february; alongside a normal tour and gig schedule...

Check out our Pre-tony recordings at:
www.lazyeyemusic.com or myspace.com/lazyeyeatlanta

Cheers,
Paul-Devon Lewow

I love and hate this guy, i watch the video of when he did a solo when he was twelve weekly, it makes me want to give up drumming and gets me thinking if I would be any good at bass guitar, but i still watch it as it's amazing for the age he is, and still amazing with the age taken out. I realy admire this guy.

Fuzzy said:
I love and hate this guy, i watch the video of when he did a solo when he was twelve weekly, it makes me want to give up drumming and gets me thinking if I would be any good at bass guitar, but i still watch it as it's amazing for the age he is, and still amazing with the age taken out. I realy admire this guy.
Just because someones a prodigy doesnt mean you should give up playing or loathe them. There have been plenty of prodigies in the world, but even more catz who play just as well as them now who started playing at 13 in school band.

Honestly, I expect nothing less from Tony Royster, jr., as he has been drumming since age three. He is now almost 19, giving him 15 - 16 year of experience. He is certainly good, and seems to have a keen grasp of all aspects of drumming, but what did you expect?

I personally think Tony is a child prodigy in term of music. He must want to constantly learn new things, and therefore, his abilities are exponential. I have been drumming since I was 14, and now, at 16, I have a decent amount of experience. Most of the kids in my town consider me a very skilled drummer. Tony accomplished what I have currently done when he was only 5!!!

For example, since I was 3, I have been drawing and sculpting. My interest in art has not dwindled, and thus I am very skilled (not to brag). At around age 7, many people were amazed at what I was able to do. Consider this situation with Tony.

- Marc

Man that video is so cool. That kid really plays. The only thing wrong is that every time I watch that video I say "I quit drumming" because it's so humiliating... he was 12. How can that be possible? At that age I was playing with my Hot wheels cars and he was kicking butt....AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!

I saw his video dedicated to tony williams about 4 years ago. Knowing that he was 12 at the time was amazing. He has raw talent.

It makes me sad that he was better than me at birth then I am now.

he is great but its just like watching a young Chambers, he doesnt have a unique style, I would rather watch chambers then watch someone who sounds like a young version.
And he is not so young anymore so its not what it was.
he needs more influence then just one sorce

Being called "A young Dennis Chambers" is a good thing.....

I think the solo on DW by Eloy Casagrande is even more impressive. This kid was 14 at the time. When you see kids with this skill level at such a young age it really makes you wonder. I was wondering if people like Smith, Weckl, Caluita, chambers, cobham, Silverlight or Marvin Smith to name a few, could play as well when they were that old. Maybe so, we just didn't have the net to know.

The gifted prodigy thing dissapates rapidly with age as they join the field of veteran drum masters, but it sure does make you wonder if they are simply born with a massive gift of physical dexterity towards drumming that allows them to reach that skill level in such a short amount of time. A level many playing for years never come close to.

Waterjet

Back