Yamaha Live Custom Series 2013

I would imagine the 18" sounds at least as loud as a 20" BD. My 20" oak custom BD is definitely the loudest voice on my kit - almost to loud. I have to put a pillow control it a bit.

If they are replacing the Oak Customs I'd best get a few more ordered before they go the way of the Beech Customs.

Time to send out a few emails.

Sounds pretty cool.. That kick is more or less same thickness as the original Maple Custom.. as are the toms..

It seems like they took a lot of what they learned from the Maple Custom and applied it with an oak shell.

Did they happen to have an 18" diameter kick there, by any chance?

Yes. But I didn't test it, as I'm not really an 18" BD kind of guy.

DRUMEATDRUM
Any idea on prices?
Any 18"kicks?
Thanks

Yes, 18" bass drums are in the line.

Prices are less than the oak custom. I don't recall the exact $ I was quoted as their target price, other than a 5pc shell pack should sell for well under $2000.

Yamaha Q type strainer:
9F46A2605A8C4CC18678FE520ECFDE0C_12007.jpg

DC3 type butt:
CF44E521F694473887A8620B0A51CB3A_12007.jpg

Btw some interesting changes....

Thicker oak ply produce deeper sound

10% thicker than the plies used in the Oak Custom, the oak plies found in these shells deliver sound with greater power on the live stage.

Black appearance

Dark silver hardware delivers dominating image further heightened with the all black shell interiors.

Y.E.S.S.

YESS mounts are designed to minimize contact between the shell and the mount to deliver a wider dynamic range and longer sustain.

Absolute Lugs
56B4D703AA4B4627B5356F31C0EF666E_12007.jpg

Sells feature Yamaha's exclusive Absolute Lugs. Their sophisticated design adds a touch of class to the drums.

Die-cast Bass Drum Hooks
56B4D703AA4B4627B5356F31C0EF666E_12007.jpg

Bass drums feature newly designed die-cast hooks, which provide noise free function through the use of an insertion plate.

Open Type Floor Tom Bracket
99E96BCA9AA4418FB7DFD4B9FA0223DF_12007.jpg

Open type Floor Tom bracket includes wing bolts. It's designed to clamp tightly on the leg without damaging it, to save time on stage, and to deliver optimum decay control.

Emperor Head

Toms and floor toms are equipped with clear Remo Emperor heads, which are known for their deep sound and great durability.

2.3mm Dyna Hoops

Thicker steel hoops offer a tighter sound and sharper response.

Last edited:
I love Oak Customs. The rehearsal studio I work I out of switched 7 rooms to them. It's between them and Tama bubingas for my live kit.

(My studio kit it going to be on a whole 'nother level.)

BTW. I simply must ask Les Ismore and Artstar:

Is that the same hot chick in your avatars?

I saw them at NAMM and they're really nice drums. I love the fit and finish of the stained shell interiors. I'm sure they sound great.

But for me and the type of gigs that I play, I would have rather have quiter drums and mic them than louder drums. Afterall, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Recording Custom player. :)

Anyone know the time frame that the Oak Customs will be discontinued? I have a brand new 2 up 2 down Musashi black set untouched in boxes in my storage unit. Ive been wanting to order an 8in tom to add to it but have been putting it off for 2-3 months. Guess I better get on it...

I LOVE these!

I was a little skeptical at first because of the "made in china" thing, but after hearing them in person, playing them a little and watching them miced up in a big venue, I'm sold!

This will be my next kit, should I get one.

Its good that I sold my Oak but NOT my 8x7 Musashi Black tom ;)

I ordered my Musashi 8in add on for my Oak Custom. Its on back order and will arrive in 4 months...ugh.

Back