DIY e-Drums

Arivera3

Hey everyone! I'm looking on advice on how to build cross-members for DIY e-DRums made from acoustic drums. What would you all suggest?

Hey everyone! I'm looking on advice on how to build cross-members for DIY e-DRums made from acoustic drums. What would you all suggest?

Do you know how to make the foam cones or where to get them from? Can't find them anywhere.

Sorry, not sure what a cross-member is. I'm making some e-drums myself but getting our bass player to help me (do all the hard work) 'cos I'm a bit cack-handed.

Let me know how you get on.

Do you know how to make the foam cones or where to get them from? Can't find them anywhere.

Sorry, not sure what a cross-member is. I'm making some e-drums myself but getting our bass player to help me (do all the hard work) 'cos I'm a bit cack-handed.

cross member is the piece that goes across the inside of the shell from one side to the other just under the head, I believe for mounting the piezo trigger.

It's MUCH cheaper just to buy a sanding brick/sponge, peel the sanding surface off, and cut your cones/cubes out with a hacksaw or basically anything serated.

It's MUCH cheaper just to buy a sanding brick/sponge, peel the sanding surface off, and cut your cones/cubes out with a hacksaw or basically anything serated.

I love you! That's had my head battered (sorry) for ages!

As for the cross member, that's the bit the bass player is sorting as I will only fail spectaularly at it. Atleast I know what it's called now, thanks!

The hi hats look tricky

I love you! That's had my head battered (sorry) for ages!

As for the cross member, that's the bit the bass player is sorting as I will only fail spectaularly at it. Atleast I know what it's called now, thanks!

The hi hats look tricky

Haha! No problem. What are you building e-Drums for?

Haha! No problem. What are you building e-Drums for?

I have 2 yamaha e-kits joined together to mimic my acoustic set-up. The rubber pads just don't feel great plus my module supports rimshots on toms but my tom pads are single zone.
I want to have more realistic feeling cymbals too with multi-zones and choke capabilities as if I use Superior drummer to record I have to go into the midi track and add the catches, takes a bit of getting used to when recording that way.

I'm wanting to get either an Alesis DM10pro or a secobd hand Roland TD10 or 20.

To me the Alesis kits sound more realistic but, Roland have the best track record. And if I use Superior then it doesn't much matter.

Any personal preferences?

What are you building yours for?

I'm wanting to get either an Alesis DM10pro or a secobd hand Roland TD10 or 20.

To me the Alesis kits sound more realistic but, Roland have the best track record. And if I use Superior then it doesn't much matter.

Any personal preferences?

What are you building yours for?

If I were you, I would go for the Roland. Alesis is okay, but my experience with Alesis modules has not been very positive.

I'm building mine to expand my acoustic kit, and also becasue it seemed like a fun project.

If I were you, I would go for the Roland. Alesis is okay, but my experience with Alesis modules has not been very positive.

I'm building mine to expand my acoustic kit, and also becasue it seemed like a fun project.

Haha, yeah part of me is doing it for the fun of it. I just want to see it work! I wouldn't mind incorporating a few pads into my acoustic set-up to trigger sounds.

So the Alesis modules aren't too clever? that's disappointing to know. I think I'll go with Roland then.

Are you doing the cake-pan method? That's the one I was going to go with.

Haha, yeah part of me is doing it for the fun of it. I just want to see it work! I wouldn't mind incorporating a few pads into my acoustic set-up to trigger sounds.

So the Alesis modules aren't too clever? that's disappointing to know. I think I'll go with Roland then.

Are you doing the cake-pan method? That's the one I was going to go with.

What's the cake-pan method?

What's the cake-pan method?

I'd send uiu a link but, I'm doing this on my phone. Check out Racer 66 I thinkbis the guy who does the videos on youtube.

Basically if you have a 10" drum you get a 9" cake pan, it sits in the drum before putting the mesh head on. One piezo trigger goes directly in the middle of the pan so when you hit the rim of the drum it vibrates the cake pan and triggers the rimshot
then you have a piezo kind of on stilts (cant describe it) with the foam cone touching the mesh head.
Seems like the simplest way to do it and it does away with that cross thingy that seems tricky to make.

My technical jargon is outstanding isn't it?

I'd send uiu a link but, I'm doing this on my phone. Check out Racer 66 I thinkbis the guy who does the videos on youtube.

Basically if you have a 10" drum you get a 9" cake pan, it sits in the drum before putting the mesh head on. One piezo trigger goes directly in the middle of the pan so when you hit the rim of the drum it vibrates the cake pan and triggers the rimshot
then you have a piezo kind of on stilts (cant describe it) with the foam cone touching the mesh head.
Seems like the simplest way to do it and it does away with that cross thingy that seems tricky to make.

My technical jargon is outstanding isn't it?

Oh sweet! I've never thought of that. Thanks!

Oh sweet! I've never thought of that. Thanks!

Glad I could help. It's a great method, that racer 66 guy is a genius. check out his optical hi-hat, it's amazing. Don't know how he thinks that stuff up.

That is pretty sweet, but I'm using adult drums, so it maight be hard to find cakepans in the sizes I need.

I'm going to be doing mine 10" racks and 12" snare and floor. Apparently it should be no.bother at all if you find a cake making/utensil site.

I think I should have maybe checked before cutting my old drums in half....

I'm going to be doing mine 10" racks and 12" snare and floor. Apparently it should be no.bother at all if you find a cake making/utensil site.

I think I should have maybe checked before cutting my old drums in half....

Even if you can't find the right pans, there are so many ways to build dual-zone capable cross-members. I have an Alesis DM5 module so it only picks up one trigger at a time. No dual-zones for me.

Back