Your favorite things

L

lewisn27

What are your favorite things to do with drumming? other than playing them.
mine is probably the first groove on a new head.
or hearing a perfect cymbal for the first time, ooooooooooh thats gooood.

What are your favorite things to do with drumming? other than playing them.
mine is probably the first groove on a new head.
or hearing a perfect cymbal for the first time, ooooooooooh thats gooood.
I love the first few unencumbered notes after setting up just before a gig.

Just the sound of drums, with no other instruments.

When I haven't even put my ear protection yet, it's so nice to hear the enormity of the sound of them reverberating around the room.

It's so powerful.

Being the wiseguy that I can be, if there are a few people there already I try to set up very quietly and when I'm done I'll sit down behind the kit and smash the kick drum with all I've got. It always makes who's there have a heart attack, mean but funny.

Other than playing them...........

Looking at them set up & ready to be played.
The quiet lull before the .....STORM.

Last edited:
getting into that pocket, and not coming out until your arms fall off :)

or basically just learning anything to do with drummers or drums!

I love the part in a big band song right before the drum solo, where the band plays the last note and the drummer starts going crazy :)

Struggling with learning a new groove...and THEN it happens, you can play it like you have always had it ingrained in you.

Just groovin out or coming up with random untimed solos and going off into another world with it where no rules apply.

Also I love to find an awesome ride that matches what I hear in my head, much like my 20" Bosphorus Turk :) I could just hit it and listen to the distinct sound all day.

1) Whenever someone comments favorably on my playing. It took me many years of playing before I started receiving compliments. It was worth the wait!

2) When a fellow drummer that you respect asks you to show him how you do something.

Looking at awesome setups.
Trying out cymbals.
Looking at cymbals. :)
When you're playing on stage and the song your band is playing sounds so awesome that you get goosebumps. That actually beats the other 3. One of the greatest feelings I get.

I got goosebumps earlier today when I was watching Lamb of God live at download festival. When Mark plays the intro to "Again We Rise" and the whole band comes in with him, it was breath-taking. Man if I was there for real.. I would cry of pure awesomeness!

Two things:
1. Looking at new drums, especially Sonor and Gretsch
2. The sound of my snare and my hats being hit at the same time.

I like a really great press roll, silky smooth (like rain falling on a car roof) and crescendo-ing, ending on the 1 without a crash

I like a really great press roll, silky smooth (like rain falling on a car roof) and crescendo-ing, ending on the 1 without a crash

Good one larry, Im right there with you on great buzz rolls, Art was the man at his.

Fresh sticks on cymbals - mmmm better than custard.

Fresh sticks on cymbals - mmmm better than custard.
Interesting that you see it that way! I prefer the sound of my wood tipped sticks on the cymbals after they have worn a bit. I always play new sticks on concrete for a few mins to rough them up a bit. The vibration from playing on the hard concrete also loosens up the grain in the shaft of the stick and I like the way that it feeds back through my hand afterwards. There is less vibration and it seems a bit softer. Different strokes for different folks! Pun intended

Watching beautiful women shake their sexy bodies to the infectious groove that I'm laying down.

Call me weird but I enjoy tinkering around with drums as much as playing. I probably spend as much time tuning drums and trying new heads on my kits as I do playing.

Back