Hi Hat Placement

DrumDoug

The thread about weight and religion took a short side track about hi hat placement problems. Basically it came down to not being able to get your foot and your hands comfortable at the same time. Either the pedal is too close, or the cymbals are too far away. There are some solutions to this problem: Remote hats, Speedy hats, Ultra-Adjust hats. I have thought about getting one of these, but I'm not sure I want to get used to playing an unorthodox setup. Between the bands I'm in, my practice room, and church, I play on five different kits each week. I don't want to haul around a special hi hat stand to each rehearsal, expecially one that you can't just set down and play. I guess part of it is just laziness. I don't want to get used to playing a hi hat in front of me for example, and then not be able to play comfortably when I go to another kit or go to a jam and then have to cross over again. I think I should get used to playing the way most people set up so that's it's not as uncomfortable playing other kits. How do you guys place your hihat so it's as close to comfortable as you can get it? How do those of you who use an alternate hi hat placement deal with sitting in on other kits?

I'm just chiming in to say I have the same struggle. Where I want the hats for my hands has it way too close to me feet wise and is impossible with the placement of my second bass drum pedal.

So, I'm looking forward to reading any solutions that really work.

the best way is i guess buy a two leg hi hat stand or else in every hi hat the legs are adjustable,u have to just remove that screw at the bottom, then adjust them to your comfort.

i have 2 kits set up differently (I am assuming you are asking about placement of hats with relation to the double pedal and snare....?..)

See pics. One with slave inside like most people and one with slave outside allowing hats to be closer to snare. This really does work- the shafts are long enough ususally and your toes will not hit the shaft for the slave pedal. I feel like many people dont believe that it is possible.

2 Leg hat stands are nice especially if the legs can be rotated around to avoid all the other legs that usually land there.

Attachments

• 5e9c8d13.jpg
    5e9c8d13.jpg
    531.8 KB · Views: 15,621
  • 63af6432.jpg
    63af6432.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 4,540
  • cc08b2f3.jpg
    cc08b2f3.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 3,487
I've spent the better part of 40 years with the hi-hat in the traditional location (left). Recently(for the last 3 years), I moved my hats to "almost" center. And I find it absolutely no problem, to transition back and forth. And I own three different hi-hat stands. A 3 legger, a no legger, and a cable operated unit. And I have no problem transitioning between them, either.​
I believe that things (for the most part) only have the power you give them. If you believe there's a problem ... then there's a problem. If you believe there is no problem ... then usually, there's no problem.​

I'm not sure if you are talking about a bass drum double pedal or a single. I rarely play a double, but this is the way I have it set-up when I do. There is no stretching involved for either of my feet or my hands. I'm also working around an equipment tray, left hand ride and an 8" rack tom.

Or am I misinterpreting this all together?

DSC_0386.jpg

Here's just a single bass drum pedal arrangement, but still with an 8" rack tom and left hand ride.

DSC_0168-1.jpg

This is just a standard set-up with one up and two down.

DSC_0717.jpg

Dennis

Dennis,

In the pic with your double pedal, it would appear to me that your hats are further away from your snare that I would ideally like them to be. FWIW, I think your set up is similar to mine (3 up 2d) and I have the hats about the same place. But I feel I'm reaching a little bit more than I want (I know I'm not OP).

I think it looks like your hats are a little closer without the double pedal (also what would happen for me) and that's where I'd like them to be...such is my conundrum. Accommodating both the double pedal and having my hats 3-6 inches closer (and not moving where my db pedal is)

It might not be fixable...

A quick note on the remote speedy hat: I play my hats front and center when my kit is at home. When I play out they're to the left of center where I don't have to cross over on my 4 piece. When I sit in on someone else's set with a normal straight stand I can still get the job done just fine, except that I have to edit my vocabulary since so much of what I now naturally play doesn't really work while crossing. None the less, the job gets done as I make different choices.

It's kinda` like when you play different people's drumsets, some are bigger, some are smaller and different things are in different places, but you can still make music and have fun doing it.

As for the portability, it's lighter and more compact than a normal hi hat stand and faster/more responsive. I like to take it with me and just clamp it to the left cymbal stand. It's actually really quick and easy to set up once you lock in all of your favored adjustments. One day I'll make a video showing how to set it up after the initial set up where everything's already locked down where you want it.

Another option, a center pedal. Will definitely get your hi-hat closer, because it centers the kick drum. Not a traditional approach at all, but one that certainly works.I play a Sleishman double-pedal now (when I play a double). Before that, I played an Off-Set (also a center pedal).​

Attachments

• sleishman1.1.jpg
    sleishman1.1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 5,041
Hey Boom- did you see my second and third pics above?

Look again- sounds like the answer to your issues.....

Toolate,

Yes, I'm sorry I didn't point out your response as it is a good one. I haven't tried again recently, but I did try that before and didn't like having my 2nd db pedal that far out. I know it is only 4 inches or so, but it doesn't feel right. So I have chosen to make my hi hat placement less than ideal and keep my 2nd bd pedal in a better place.

But, I'm going to give it a try again. Maybe it will feel better this time. Thanks for your post.

As I said in the other thread, I have the exact same problem. I tilt my stand towards me, this gets the hats closer and the pedal further away, I have a Pearl Eliminator stand (2 legged), it is not advertised as "tiltable" like the iron cobra stand, but it is. You have to rotate the legs to the standard, center position (so the legs are at 2 and 10 oclock) so that the pedal is centered betwen them (6 oclock). Then loosen the bolts that attach the foot plate to the base, then push the legs down so that the stand tilts slightly towards you then tighten the footplate bolts, and tweak the leg angle all the weight is evenly distributed between the two legs and the pedal (3rd leg).

This is still kinda relying on "special" hardware though, and I understand your aversion to it (same reason I never bought a remote hihat stand). Only other choices I can see are just finding a happy medium as far as pedal v. hihat distance... Or learn to play heel up. I assume you play you hats heel down right? If you're heel up the distance shouldn't matter as much.

The issue I have doesn't have anything to do with a double pedal. It has to do with the length of my arms and legs. When I set my feet down where they naturally want to go and then put my hi hat pedal under my left foot, I have to streach farther than I like to reach the hats with my hands. If I put the hats close enough so that I am comfortable playing them with my hands, I have to bring my foot in too far to the inside and then my leg is at an angle and my knee hurts after playing a while. Compromise means a little less knee pain and not streaching quite as far. There is no position with a regular hi hat stand that totally eliminates the problem.

DrumDoug, maybe try raising your throne a little? That should give your knee the bend to be comfortable when you have the HH stand closer.

Alternatively, get some 18" hats!

How do those of you who use an alternate hi hat placement deal with sitting in on other kits?

When I used double bass drum kits, the primary hi-hat placement was fine as far as the hands are concerned, the attachement clamps allowed the legless stand to be set up at a slight angle, towards me and the snare, however, the pedals positioning has always been a compromised setting for the hi-hat and the left kick pedal, I have tried some cable hats in the late 80's and early 90's, but I don't like the feel and responsiveness of these hats, so it's not for me. I always had a secondary hi-hat on the right hand side, monted on a Tama X-hat stand, which is fully adjustable for angle setting and spring tension.

When I moved to a single kick kit with a double pedal, the setting felt the same, with a compromised pedal setting.

About a year ago, I went back to the basic, and I'm currently using a single pedal, and funny enough, the primary hi-hat placement is perfect now, I doubt very much that I'll go back to a double pedal setting again, it feel so good as it is.

Attached, a pic of the current kit with the 2 hi-hats. :)

Attachments

• Titi 2.1.jpg
    Titi 2.1.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 3,113
I'm not sure if you are talking about a bass drum double pedal or a single. I rarely play a double, but this is the way I have it set-up when I do. There is no stretching involved for either of my feet or my hands. I'm also working around an equipment tray, left hand ride and an 8" rack tom.

Or am I misinterpreting this all together?

DSC_0386.jpg

Here's just a single bass drum pedal arrangement, but still with an 8" rack tom and left hand ride.

DSC_0168-1.jpg

This is just a standard set-up with one up and two down.

DSC_0717.jpg

Dennis

Hey Dennis, Nice kits!
Do you have all those set up next to each other in your living room?? :)

I I believe that things (for the most part) only have the power you give them. If you believe there's a problem ... then there's a problem. If you believe there is no problem ... then usually, there's no problem.​
Nice one Harry - words to live by! :)

Back