Gigging with the flu

2bsticks

Platinum Member
Figures, I have 3 gigs this weekend and I come down with the flu last night. I can't get a sub as we already have a sub sitting in on bass for two of the shows.

Drinking plenty of fluids and taking Alieve. Any advice from someone who has had to deal with this?

Stay out of everyones face, drink, water and rest as much as possible. Ideal would be stay in bed.. You may see a Doc for other help, since none of us have the MD. license.

Cancel the gigs. No one will thank you for infecting them. We recently had to cancel a gig when our singer (along with a few of her workmates) caught a very bad cold from a fellow employee who insisted on coming to work for some reason or other.

I've played with the flu, food poisoning, and with tons of sleep debt. Not exactly ideal, but on the other hand, being worn down has a way of economizing your playing and those were actually some of my better performances. Go figure.

I've played with the flu, being worn down has a way of economizing your playing and those were actually some of my better performances. Go figure.

Same for me. Around 1992 I was playing death metal in an original band. We were playing a festival-type thing at a local VFW-type thing and we had 45 minutes to do our 8 songs. I was super sick and very drained.

Back in those days, there were something like 20 Par 64's behind the drum kit and being low ceilings at a VFW, they were really hot. We played, I nearly passed out. We had one of our best shows ever. And captured it on handicam.

I wasn't much good the rest of the day but I survived. Drink A LOT of water. There's not much more you can do.

Sometimes you just have to play on. My rule is usually, if I can get out of bed, and go to work or do something entertaining, then I can probably play the gig. If I'm sick and not really able to get around, then I have to draw the line.

I can't cancel, thanks for the replies. Just need to do the gigs. Get rest during the day.

DayQuil by day. NyQuil by night. Get 'er done.

DayQuilNyQuilColdFluMultiSymptomReliefLiquidPack12-3x.jpg

The worst one for me was playing a guitar gig after a spontaneous Pneuma Thorax. I still had the tube/valve in me and taped to my chest.

Been there, it ain't fun, but you can work up a good healing sweat in the process. Just tell everybody else in the band to keep from drinking out of your beer can, and keep hydrated.

Part of the job, and if you need the money go for it, us a fan, blow it away from the other band members. The crowd will just think you're f'd up on drugs if you look all ragged out. Ive heard recordings of myself playing (really) sick, was surprised it sounded so good.

No alcohol! If you are feverish, a wet towel on your shoulders/neck couldn't hurt. Don't work too hard. Use the fan Les recommended. Aspirin. Not too much food, lots of liquids.

Same for me. Around 1992 I was playing death metal in an original band. We were playing a festival-type thing at a local VFW-type thing and we had 45 minutes to do our 8 songs. I was super sick and very drained...

Death metal at the VFW hall...I'm trying to get a mental image of that...it sure sounds, ahhhh..."interesting."

Otherwise, lots of sound advice given. Your PRIMARY objective should be to NOT GET ANYONE ELSE SICK! No matter how you normally do it, don't help with anyone else's gear and do not let anyone help you with yours. It may be a little weird and laborious, but you don't want anyone else touching stuff you have touched.

Last edited:
Been there, done that.

Protien shakes and a ton of water got me through quite a few gigs when i should have been in bed. Pedialite and Gatorade G2 work well to keep you hydrated. As others have said, stay away from you band mates, and dont touch anything but your own equipment. Getting everyone else sick will not endear you to them.

Whew, one down two to go. They had a nice dressing room for us with our own bathroom. Two sets, thank God. Sweated like a pig, belly aching. Polluted up the bathroom a few times. Thanks for all your replies.

Eat plenty of soup and hot tea, or something low caffine and hot water/liquid! Your body is probably fighting off fever and chills. You will feel less tired if you stay warm, sweating warm, as your body won't have to work so hard fighting the virus and fever off alone. ...assuming you can stomach liquid and food! Lots of sleep mixed in. Can't deny the nyquil/dayquil and other suggestions, too.

Whew, one down two to go. They had a nice dressing room for us with our own bathroom. Two sets, thank God. Sweated like a pig, belly aching. Polluted up the bathroom a few times. Thanks for all your replies.

Keep it going! Plenty of vitamin C... I think Airborne rocks.

Man, 2bsticks, you get gold stars. Are you a younger guy?

I'm sick with the flu myself, and I had a hell of a time just picking my kid up in the afternoon.

I wish I was still young. I'm 62. Still hurting this morning. I think I am having a sub sit in for tomorrow's 4 hour gig. This sucks!

I wish I was still young. I'm 62. Still hurting this morning. I think I am having a sub sit in for tomorrow's 4 hour gig. This sucks!
A good idea. The flu can get pretty nasty - put you in the hospital, depending on how bad it is.

Back