Nose in the corner

THC

I've been looking at a LOT of kit pics recently looking for mounting ideas and I've noticed that there's a fair amount of people who have their kits, what I would consider, flipped around and are facing directly into the wall.

The obvious reason for this to me is it's much easier to access and sit at the throne, versus snaking in behind a forward facing kit. But other than that small convenience, is there a more obvious reason for this that I'm missing?

~peace

I'd be intrested to know who does that and why as well. To me there would be too much sound bouncing right back in my face. I think the getting around behind the kit is the main reason, but then shouldn't one just slide it a bit further from the wall? Plus, I'm not a big fan of people sneaking up behind me, so that makes it a "will not do" for me. :)

I have been playing since 1970 and I have never set up a kit facing a wall!
I don't see how anyone could do that.
Forget about the sound and all that, Who wants to look at a wall as you play?

I have my practice kit set up nosed into the wall for space considerations. But my 'office' is small and trying to keep the kit away from the wal so I can get in behind it takes up too much space. Apart from the kick, the drums sound fine, and the kick is actually pretty nice at that.

Bermuda

I have an e-kit facing the wall. Otherwise I'd use up extra space so my elbows wouldn't hit the wall, which can otherwise be part of the room's open space. Actually, if I faced the other way the kit would be in the way of the TV.

If I had a large space I'd definitely face outwards. I never consciously thought of this before.

I think the basic reason is space and ease of mounting the throne. I just can't imagine what the bass drum must sound or not sound like.

That's kinda what I figured. Most of the kits I've seen that are wall facing are in pretty cramped quarters

Here's just a few I saw here on this site in the Show off your Tama thread.

attachment.php

asdfgto5.jpg

DSC00107.jpg

254ww7d.jpg

Having had a small garage studio I had my kit both ways at times. From a space perspective, "nose in" is better. In spite of what many bar owners seem to think, the drivers end of a drum kit is pretty flat. Yes someone is sitting "behind" it, but there are things on either side that are nearly even with the drummer. So you can't really sit all the way in the corner and have a hat on one side and 1 or 2 floor toms on the other. Say nothing of a side snare, extra floor toms or a really large kit. Whereas, you can often poke the kick drum into a corner and wrap the rest of the kit around you. The throne is in the room where you can move it out of the way and the whole thing usually fits better.

From a sound perspective, facing out seems better. When I started doing more recording, flipping the kit around gave me a more open and realistic sound. To everything, not just the kick.

The small practice room/recording studio I'm building now had the short dimension set by the width of my kit as set up. It will be at one end facing out into the room. Mix of diffusion and some damping on the way behind and I hope to get a decent recorded sound for the size of the shed/room. Keyboards and amps along the walls and the mix station at the other end.

When I lived with my parents, in my bedroom, my drums had to face the wall so I had enough room to pull out my bed. I slept on a hide-a-bed love seat couch. My kit fit nicely against the wall plus I had a window there to catch the cool summer breezes. Seems like I had a few "fans" that would be cross the street listening in as well.

I have been playing since 1970 and I have never set up a kit facing a wall!
I don't see how anyone could do that.
Forget about the sound and all that, Who wants to look at a wall as you play?

You could always put up a mirror and keep an eye on your technique. I had pictures of my favorite musicians on the wall so I could pretend to be playing along with them. Fun times indeed!

I'd be intrested to know who does that and why as well. To me there would be too much sound bouncing right back in my face. I think the getting around behind the kit is the main reason, but then shouldn't one just slide it a bit further from the wall? Plus, I'm not a big fan of people sneaking up behind me, so that makes it a "will not do" for me. :)

My folks used to turn the light switch off and on. I got used to it pretty quickly. I forgot all about that! That was back in the 1980's. Loved those days...

I used to have my kit facing the wall before I rebuilt a portion of my garage into a man cave. Now it is along the wall but facing out.

mancave.jpg

I have a thinig about having my back face a door, so there's no way i could ever set a kit facing a wall LOL.

I have a thinig about having my back face a door, so there's no way i could ever set a kit facing a wall LOL.

hehe. your "Location" is especially fitting :)

I have mine kit facing out into the room, but its still along the same wall as the door into the room. I've lost count of how many times i've been jamming away when my wife gets home from work, walks in, yells and scares the sh*t outta me :(

Back