Dream Theater's new drummer is MIKE MANGINI

Re: Dream Theater's new drummer

To me, being a huge fan of all the other six drummers I'm looking forward A LOT to see behind the scenes footage, their interpretation of the DT songs and hearing them talk about preparations etc.

Me too...I'd rather pay to see this over watching a DT concert.

What we know:

Mangini, Derek Roddy, Marco Minnemann, Virgil Donati, Thomas Lang, Aquiles Priester and Peter Wildoer auditioned.

Derek and Peter comments imply they are not in. So that leaves 5 people in the running.

Dream theater posted January 4th they were in the studio recording with the new drummer, although we know they took a break for NAMM

John Petrucci posted updates in Feb 1st, and March 2nd, and April 6th about writing and recording the new album.

Dream Theater has posted their European tour starts in June.

Per Virgil Donati's FB, he was on tour in Feburary, including dates in Moscow. He also posted a gig in Los Angeles on March 3rd, and additional shows in April.
Hard to be in the studio writing and recording on the East Coast when you're doing gigs in LA and touring in Moscow.
I'd say he's out.

Thomas Lang:
Posted on January 29th he was in the studio with Dan Monti. Also has posted he is hosting boot camps in Mid March, and through out April.
Not entirely out, but he's keeping busy.

Marco Minnemann
Posted European tour dates on his website for February, and a Los Angeles show on March 11. His facebook hasn't been updates in a while.
Looking like he is out.

Aquiles Priester
His website shows he had clinics and/or tour dates booked from mid-January all the way through May, in mostly international locations. Now way he could be in the studio with DT and touring his his own band at the same time.
He's out.

Mike Mangini
Who has not updated his website or facebook since the auditions, and we know stepped down from his job at Berklee right around the time Portnoy left Dream Theater.
So we can not rule him out.

Which leaves the conclusion the it is most likely Mangini, with a small chance of Lang.

Although should be noted that no one has posted they are booked during the time period as the Dream Theater tour, so no one is truly 100% out.

No offence to the other drummers Just to be given the chance to audition is a feather in their cap.
MIKE MANGINI would be a perfect fit.He can Groove he can play in any time signature in his sleep he has power to cut through the band and his speed could take them to the next level.

Virgil would be the other of course because he played DT stuff for fun.
Marco would also do well as he really can groove on the odd meter stuff.
Not sure about the rest but they were LUCKY enough to get an audition.
Tim

Wow i was surprised to see all these people hating on the video so much haha!

Now that i think about it, the whole thing was overly dramatic and cheesy at times (especially with the voice) and the sad music and black and white shots made it seem like MP had died. Anyways, i just watched it for the great drumming- Mangini was a beast haha.

Lesson learned, the first guy gets the gig. I have been on auditions where I was told, you were great, but we had already made up our minds with a guy that auditioned before you.

Lesson learned, the first guy gets the gig. I have been on auditions where I was told, you were great, but we had already made up our minds with a guy that auditioned before you.

There is a part of me that wonders why they even held auditions.

The band already had a great relationship with Mangini, and there would be no doubt he could handle the music.

I believe Derek touched on it earlier in the thread: They pretty much knew who they wanted anyway. Mangini has been an obvious choice from the beginning, and a good one too. The auditions seemed to be mostly a publicity thing.

The seven guys they chose are definitely amazing drummers. However, there are many others who would be a better fit musically but who wouldn't have brought as much "fame" to the table when it came to making the audition process public as they have done now.

Disclaimer: This is obviously only my take on it, and it's based on the extremely small amount of information that has been made available. I'm probably wrong, but it can be fun to speculate sometimes.

Yeah. Looks like it's going to be Mangini that gets the job... But that "In the next episode" thing at the end have changed my mind a bit... James seems to be blown away by Virgil Donati (I think it's him?). Personaly I would prefer Virgil, but it looks like Mangini is the guy they connect with the most on a personal level...

EXCITING! Can't wait for the next episode, if something, this is an awesome publicity stunt. Haha

Well I don't care what anyone says, I can hardly wait for the next episode. This is great entertainment.

Even if the band knew who they wanted all along, it has to be a good thing for all the other drummers to get the publicity that goes along with this audition, right? Seems to me, anyway.

Even if the band knew who they wanted all along, it has to be a good thing for all the other drummers to get the publicity that goes along with this audition, right? Seems to me, anyway.
I agree, that's an excellent point. And perhaps a bit of a smackdown to Portnoy, when they can say, "Hey look, we got 7 completely badass drummers to choose from. So who's holding all the cards now, eh?"

Back