My New Album Got A Great Review on No Depression!

I’ve been a member here for several years. I don’t post a lot, but check in almost daily. I’ve played drums since I was 10 and I’m way more interested in drum gear than guitar gear- so I’m not just parachuting in to post this.

As well as playing drums in two bands, I’m a singer/songwriter. My new album was just (independently) released on Oct 1. I just got notification that my album was reviewed in No Depression, which is one of the longest running magazines dedicated to American/ Alt Country music. The headline says:
“Extraordinarily Original Canadian Singer Offers Diversified Intriguing Set Of Country” - although I’d say my music is really Americana, with no resemblance to modern Pop Country.

The review contains links to some of the songs and one of my videos. Here’s a link to the review:

http://nodepression.com/album-revie...ger-offers-diversified-intriguing-set-country

One of the cool parts of making this record was that I got to hire three of my favourite (Vancouver based) drummers, who are also friends-Pat Steward, Geoff Hicks, and Jack Guppy. We used a beautiful vintage Ludwig maple kit (seeen in the video) for all the drum tracks. I hope you’ll check it out to hear some stellar drumming.

I do have a slight ulterior motive in posting this, which is that as an indie artist, social media is a key marketing element, so even if you aren’t interest in hearing the music, if you click on the link, it will help keep the review on the front page of the ND site.

And if you ARE interested in hearing the album, it’s available on Spotify, ITunes, Amazon, Google Play, etc. Just search “David Graff-Supposed to Fly”.

Finally, mods, if this post is inappropriate please let me know and I’ll delete it.

I have to say that normally i am not a big fan when people post reviews from their own bands here on the forum, but in this case i think you should take all the possible opportunities that are available to get your music heard..

Untill now i only listened the first 2 songs that are linked in the review, but allready only from these 2 songs the quality is that obvious that is almost a miracle that you are not more internationally well-known in the Americana world..

With this material you should be able to play on any Americana festival, worldwide, without a problem..We have several here in my country (i am dutch) and i would highly recommend you to get in touch with them..

This is by far the best own work that i ever have seen posted on this forum and i see no reason at all why you would not be programmed on any festival that has people like Rodney Crowell, James McMurtry, Joe Ely, Steve Earle or any of such artists..

Very, very nice work..

My compliments..!

Thanks Oldskool ! I hesitated about posting because I have a sense that these posts don’t generally receive a very warm reception. I honestly didn’t post the review hoping to feed my ego, but just because, as an indie, it’s an uphill battle trying to get noticed in the modern music industry that is flooded with releases every day. I’m just trying to get the word out and hope that the music speaks to some of my fellow musicians.

As an additional aside, I was lucky enough to make the album with my daughter, who do-produce, engineered and mixed, played multiple instruments, sang harmonies, wrote the string and horn arrangements, and as well, she shot most of the video included in the review and edited the entire video. Please forgive my proud Dad moment......

Your comments are greatly appreciated. I’d love to come to the EU to play!

..As an additional aside, I was lucky enough to make the album with my daughter, who do-produce, engineered and mixed, played multiple instruments, sang harmonies, wrote the string and horn arrangements, and as well, she shot most of the video included in the review and edited the entire video. Please forgive my proud Dad moment..

I listened the complete album today and also for that proud moment you have every reason, because she delivered some wonderful work..

I am a longtime member of some magazines that also give a fair amount of attention to Americana/Roots music and i will send them a mail with a link to your work, because i really think that your music deserves to be heard as much as possible..

I listened to Suppose To Fly and think it is a great song. Very high quality audio. I wish you the best with this recording.

I listened the complete album today and also for that proud moment you have every reason, because she delivered some wonderful work..

I am a longtime member of some magazines that also give a fair amount of attention to Americana/Roots music and i will send them a mail with a link to your work, because i really think that your music deserves to be heard as much as possible..

Thanks a lot, Oldskool! I REALLY appreciate that you’d offer to do that! As I mentioned, the album is digitally available on most platforms, so you could send links to anyone you’d be willing to. I also have a one-sheet with info on the individual songs that we have been sending out to radio. Please PM me if you’d like to have that to forward. As of today, the album debuted at #79 on the Folk Radio chart, which is great, but I think Americana is the genre I fit into most comfortably.

Glad you like the music, and thanks for your support and enthusiasm!

I think it is fine for you to promote yourself and your music.
What realistic sort of argument would any fellow musician have for you doing so.
Like the songs and the sound. Canadian songwriting has a strong tradition, keep it up.

Thanks so much Andy! That’s high praise, coming from you!

Thanks Bruce, Apart from the obvious well known Canadian song writers, one of my faves is Ron Sexsmith. He’s been criminally overlooked for years.

In case anyone’s interested, here’s a couple videos from the album (one of which is also embedded in the review):

https://youtu.be/Bh9QTgIxvx8

https://youtu.be/Y7eanuXgDIU

I'm really happy you got good reviews on your work.

I genuinely laughed out loud at the title "I love my truck". That's good stuff.

Back