Attractive female drummers

311Spider

They say it's a man's world, but if you're an attractive female drummer it's definitely a woman's world.

I've been watching some videos of Emmanuelle Caplette lately. There's no question, she's a good drummer, an excellent drummer. And she's wildly popular on youtube, facebook, and in the drumming community in general. At the same time there are male drummers out there that play just as good, if not better than her, but no where near as well known and successful as her. Is she a go getter? I'm sure she is, and she deserves the success she's getting.

My point is that I find it interesting how attractive female drummers seem to have a huge advantage, especially in the drumming arena. Yeah, I know, this is nothing new, and sure, I'm jealous, but here's a statement and a question. I've gone to youtube and found some hot chick drummers with videos of them drumming to songs - and most of them are pretty bad drummers, yet they get millions of views. Would any of these girl drummers get many views if they weren't hot? And would Emmanuelle Caplette be as successful as she is if she weren't hot? I think the answer to my first question is an easy no, the second question is debatable.

There are surgeries these days, you're not totally stuck with the gender you were given.

You too could be a female drumming attention whore in a few easy steps.

But really, what's your point here? Should they not be drumming because they are attractive? Do you really think Caplette is the type of gal who goes around skating by on her looks, or do you think it's possible she practices more than you do all year in a single day? I happen to think that trying to build some kind of following by covering other people's songs on youtube is kind of pathetic regardless gender, but not everyone agrees, I suppose.

You have to first define success. Is it YouTube views? Is it the attention they get in forums? Is it getting a high-profile gig? Is it making a career of playing music?

It could be any one or combination of those, and it depends also on our perception of success vs. that drummer's concept of success.

In the realm of YouTube, it's definitely more fun to watch an attractive or animated person playing, and that's not restricted to gender. If Emmanuelle and a male drummer played exactly the same solo, and were equally animated, I would have to say she'd get more views. Part of that is that female drummers are a severe minority and there's a curiosity factor, and the other part is as an attractive gal, she attracts both male and female drummers.

While I notice whether someone looks good or not, it really boils down to whether they can play. If they can't, I'm really unimpressed with any cheesecake or sexual aspect to a femal drummer. It's sad that they feel they can exploit their looks without the talent to go with that. I guess it's even sadder that some really think they can play, and all the young men wag their tongues in agreement.

I think the real test is whether these drummers can pass the auditions necessary to be a working drummer, and not just a pin-up on the internet.

Bermuda

Oh dear, this must be "post a contentious thread day" ;)

I think we all know the answer re: good looking girls on Youtube with no talent, & that's not just limited to the drumming world. Emmanuelle, well, it's the package. Like everything in "show" business is the package. It would be just as relevant to point out her infectious upbeat character.

I've just finished reading an article to be published in this Month's Drummer magazine. It's an interview with a superb drummer whom I have quite an association with. She just happens to be female. Michele goes into some detail re: her feelings about gender attitudes in the business, & yes, especially in drumming. She sights "the before look" & "the after look". Frankly, prejudice in any form really pisses me off. In general, female drummers have a really shitty time of it both inside & outside the business, & so do many female musicians playing other instruments.

I know a number of incredibly talented & able female artists who can groove just about anyone into the ground. Even the (subjective) good looking ones have a very big hill to climb, in fact, if they're so called "hot", they have an even worse time being accepted for what they have to offer musically.

Just from my personal contacts, if I put Michele Drees & Yolanda Charles out there as a rhythm section, trust me, there's few globally that could compete, but for them to get those coveted gigs, somehow, & quite wrongly, they have to be "better". Great looking girls both of them too.

Frankly, if the occasional good looking female drummer gets a popularity break, then good luck to them. Worth remembering, that Youtube is hardly a measure of the work these drummers are getting in the real world.

That must be easy for you to say, KIS. I mean, you pretty much get by on your looks, too. Certainly no drumming chops to speak of, so if it ain't your mug, I can't imagine what the fans are coming back for. It must be tough being the sex symbol for the band.

And what about those hot-looking short Hawaiian guys who get gigs that can't even reveal who they are?

What of them? The world is askew ;)

Maybe if you were more man than mouse, you could actually come out and reveal yourself.

And what about those hot-looking short Hawaiian guys who get gigs that can't even reveal who they are?

What of them? The world is askew ;)

You should be the resident expert on this topic giving your avatars.

First of all, let me assure you as somebody with first-hand knowledge that it's still a man's world, end of. There is almost always a glass ceiling for women.

Secondly, it can be very difficult for good-looking people to be taken seriously, because it is often assumed that they are all froth and no substance. Women often have to be twice as good as men if they want to achieve parity.

Thirdly, I would venture to suggest that the number of views on You Tube is not necessarily an accurate measurement of success.

That must be easy for you to say, KIS. I mean, you pretty much get by on your looks, too. Certainly no drumming chops to speak of, so if it ain't your mug, I can't imagine what the fans are coming back for. It must be tough being the sex symbol for the band.

He sizzles my hi hat every single time.

...sigh

For the love of pete...this politically correct world drives me crazy. I enjoy watching an attractive gal play the drums or any instrument, whether they are good or not, if I'm being honest; for obvious reasons.

How they use their god given facets is up to them, I don't care. Ultimately they have to answer to themselves and their own sense of morals and ethics on how they posture themselves in the outside world; just like I have to answer to myself.

I would most definitely work with a capable & attractive female drummer or any attractive female musician if they were good...and I have worked extensively with female vocalists and bass players. I enjoyed and looked forward to rehearsals, hanging around them and I enjoyed their playing/singing as much as I enjoyed their appearance. So what?

If they got it and want to flaunt it, thats fine by me. I will appreciate it and enjoy the god given beauty. If they are good, I would work with them also.

Maybe if you were more man than mouse, you could actually come out and reveal yourself.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You guys are killing me now!

If they got it and want to flaunt it, thats fine by me.

And that's a big part of the question - do they actually have talent as well? What does it say about anyone who can't see or hear beyond a female drummer's good looks?

I can see if a gal looks good, and I can tell if she can play. But I never confuse the two.

Bermuda

And what about us ugly girls who play drums? I guess there's just no love or hope for us at all.

Personally, I don't give a damn if you look like John Stamos or Bun E. Carlos when you're playing drums. But if you don't do a lot of ostentatious solos and you can't twirl your sticks at 200 RPMs/second, then you're not worth watching because we all know how important that is.

Yep, just as about as important as how the girl looks behind the kit.

So what if they get "millions of hits"? We're all smart enough to realize that it's not because of their playing if they're not that good. And I bet they know it, too. And sure, it would be nice to have a video with all of those hits but if someone was watching a drumming vid of me just because of how I look then it would be sort of a hollow victory now, wouldn't it? Let them have their meaningless hits, I say.

...sigh

For the love of pete...this politically correct world drives me crazy. I enjoy watching an attractive gal play the drums or any instrument, whether they are good or not, if I'm being honest; for obvious reasons.

How they use their god given facets is up to them, I don't care. Ultimately they have to answer to themselves and their own sense of morals and ethics on how they posture themselves in the outside world; just like I have to answer to myself.

I would most definitely work with a capable & attractive female drummer or any attractive female musician if they were good...and I have worked extensively with female vocalists and bass players. I enjoyed and looked forward to rehearsals, hanging around them and I enjoyed their playing/singing as much as I enjoyed their appearance. So what?

If they got it and want to flaunt it, thats fine by me. I will appreciate it and enjoy the god given beauty. If they are good, I would work with them also.

Wow. Would you work with a capable female musician who wasn't attractive? Please say Yes, otherwise I'll have to go and burn my bra all over again - and I'm so old now that this time I might not remember to take it off.

What about male musicians? Do you only work with ones you find attractive?

Somebody tell me that I have missed the humour in this post.

And that's a big part of the question - do they actually have talent as well? What does it say about anyone who can't see or hear beyond a female drummer's good looks?

I can see if a gal looks good, and I can tell if she can play. But I never confuse the two.

Bermuda

Agreed...But I don't think it is for us to worry about others' intentions when watching female musicians. Hey, if they enjoy the good looks and use 10 different IP addresses and give that video ten unique watches, what do I care? I don't. Why should any of us.

The concept of popularity via utoob watches is something that is really, well, *dumb*! It's great to have media as a *resume*, yes. I don't care if some hot female drummer has 30 million views and some dude drummer has 3 views but he is better. They are releasing themselves to the court of fickle public opinion and deriving some sort of good feeling and hopefully visibility and *money* from all this. What does one expect from faceless nameless hit and run viewers on a network?

The whole "watch" me, look how good I am playing this cover song thing is just silly; why tie one's good feeling to it?

Enjoy your instrument, give it all ya got, enjoy the process.

Hahahahaha, you need an eyesight test - IMMEDIATELY!

Regrettably, the rest of your post is accurate.

Answer = the guitarist.

Back