Requirements for my big band audition

pt3407

I have an audition to prepare for in some months and it’s for the jazz fm 91 youth big band. This is the website:

http://www.jazz.fm/index.php/education-mainmenu-111/jazzfm91-youth-big-band-mainmenu-114

This is the page for the audition requirements (says 2017-2018 but the requirements are the same for 2018-2019.)

http://www.jazz.fm/index.php/news-a-events-mainmenu/16068-youth-big-band-20178-auditions

For requirements they are:

1. Swing feel (varied tempos)
2. Latin feels (varied tempos)
3. Rock beat (varied tempos)
3. Improvised solo (optional)
4. Sight reading (will be provided)

I’m studying from ed uribe’s essence of Brazilian percussion and drum set for the bossa nova and for the samba and mambo I’m studying from the art of bop drumming by John Riley.

In ed uribe’s book, there are different bossa novas, one in 4/4, another in 7/4, etc. Would knowing only the 4/4 bossa nova be enough? Would I need to know how to play different patterns for the crosstick?

For art of bop drumming, would the samba and mambo content be enough for my audition?

Thanks

Sounds like you got it covered to me brother. Get a general feel for those Latin and swing beats and the rest will follow. I had to brush up on my Latin for some local shows and it felt good to “think outside my comfort zone” for a while. I grew as a drummer during that time.
Be sure to have fun first while earning the pay.

In ed uribe’s book, there are different bossa novas, one in 4/4, another in 7/4, etc. Would knowing only the 4/4 bossa nova be enough? Would I need to know how to play different patterns for the crosstick?

Bossa nova in 7/4 is pretty rare. It would be helpful to study some charts with odd times in other grooves, because that stuff might show up on the sight reading. You should be able to read a chart with, say, a rock/funk beat in 7/4.

When learning the bossa nova, remember that the patterns are just a starting point. Learn a few different cross-sticking patterns, and then practice switching between them, and then practice improvising patterns in the style of a bossa nova. Playing the same bossa pattern over and over sounds very amateurish. Playing constant 8ths on the ride also sounds pretty boring (but constant 8ths on the hi-hat is commonly done). Check out this drummer, and note how he's not locked into one pattern. When on the ride, he's breaking up the 8th notes, tastefully.

For art of bop drumming, would the samba and mambo content be enough for my audition?

Probably that's not enough material for you to get familiar with the style -- get more play along tracks and charts. There are some good tracks with example grooves and charts in Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials.

If it's anything like the big band I was in the latin will be mainly samba and beguine, the only bossa nova we played was Soul Bossa Nova from the Austin Powers films.

Mine certainly wasn't up to the standard you're looking at though, but we had around 150 pieces to pick from and I'd say about 90% were just straight up swing.

Bossa nova in 7/4 is pretty rare. It would be helpful to study some charts with odd times in other grooves, because that stuff might show up on the sight reading. You should be able to read a chart with, say, a rock/funk beat in 7/4.

When learning the bossa nova, remember that the patterns are just a starting point. Learn a few different cross-sticking patterns, and then practice switching between them, and then practice improvising patterns in the style of a bossa nova. Playing the same bossa pattern over and over sounds very amateurish. Playing constant 8ths on the ride also sounds pretty boring (but constant 8ths on the hi-hat is commonly done). Check out this drummer, and note how he's not locked into one pattern. When on the ride, he's breaking up the 8th notes, tastefully.

Probably that's not enough material for you to get familiar with the style -- get more play along tracks and charts. There are some good tracks with example grooves and charts in Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials.

Considering that the main focus of this band is jazz, do you think I need to be familiar with those other styles? And are the charts in the groove esssntials book going to be almost the same as the ones I would see in the audition? I’ve never read charts before.

...I’ve never read charts before.

If you’ve never read charts before, you need to start now. Is your teacher working on the audition requirements with you? If so, he/she should definitely prepare you to read charts, especially if your goal is to play big band. You need to be able to play section figures and set up ensemble hits. Let your teacher know that you’d like to deviate from your regular lesson material to focus on this audition.

Also, I would get the two books that I mentioned immediately(see this post). http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1554012&postcount=8

Jeff

If you’ve never read charts before, you need to start now. Is your teacher working on the audition requirements with you? If so, he/she should definitely prepare you to read charts, especially if your goal is to play big band. You need to be able to play section figures and set up ensemble hits. Let your teacher know that you’d like to deviate from your regular lesson material to focus on this audition.

Also, I would get the two books that I mentioned immediately(see this post). http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1554012&postcount=8

Jeff

+1.

No, the Groove Essentials charts will be different, but still helpful. It's good to learn to read a variety of charts. Definitely start with the texts that Jeff recommends! Get to work ASAP!

I’m studying from ed uribe’s essence of Brazilian percussion and drum set for the bossa nova and for the samba and mambo I’m studying from the art of bop drumming by John Riley.

The styles that are most likely to come up are bossa, samba, and some type of jazz version (i.e. non-clave-based) of a mambo. Maybe a cha cha or rhumba/bolero, probably not.

Getting all your info from books is not ideal. Get some records and listen to them. Probably the fastest way to do your homework for this is to dig up some versions of Manteca (for quasi-mambo), Recordame and Blue Bossa (for a jazz bossa), and any tune that switches between a latin and swing feel-- The Night Has A Thousand Eyes, I'll Remember April, Green Dolphin St, Star Eyes, whatever. Just play along with them and try to do what the drummer is doing-- the closest thing you can to it based on your available skill and knowledge. Set up some sessions and play those tunes with people as much as you can between now and the audition.

Jeff

Well, actually I don’t have a drum teacher. I’m sort of self taught, learning from books, YouTube videos, and Drumeo. But I think I should go to someone for lessons. Thanks for the book recommendations. What exactly are section figures and ensemble hits?

Well, actually I don’t have a drum teacher. I’m sort of self taught, learning from books, YouTube videos, and Drumeo. But I think I should go to someone for lessons. Thanks for the book recommendations. What exactly are section figures and ensemble hits?

Don’t take this the wrong way, but I just want to give you something to think about... Do you think your competition for the audition has been studying and taking lessons? What about the people who are in the band now? Most likely they have been taking lessons for years.

As Tony said, you need to find someone with experience in big band playing to guide you. Don’t just sign up for drum lessons anywhere. Make sure that you have a qualified instructor that can guide you through the process of learning big band drumming. Before my student started auditiong for All State Jazz Band, I used be a judge for the auditions. I could quickly spot those who were well studied and familiar with the genre.

To answer your question, section figures are figures played by just one section (trumpets, for example). Ensemble figures are played by the entire ensemble, and should be set up.

I usually like to teach in person, as Skype has some limitations, and I feel it is best to find a qualified teacher who can be in the same room. However, I am set up for Skype (for when the weather is bad here and students can’t make it her in person). So am am open to helping people over Skype who want to study something specific (like big band drumming or concepts from my book, The Level System). So if you can’t find someone in time, I would be open to have you do some Skype lessons.

You can also find out who the current drummers in the band are studying with.

Again, this has all been said with the intention of you getting closer to achieving your goal.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Last edited:
Don’t take this the wrong way, but I just want to give you something to think about... Do you think your competition for the audition has been studying and taking lessons? What about the people who are in the band now? Most likely they have been taking lessons for years.

As Tony said, you need to find someone with experience in big band playing to guide you. Don’t just sign up for drum lessons anywhere. Make sure that you have a qualified instructor that can guide you through the process of learning big band drumming. Before my student started auditiong for All State Jazz Band, I used be a judge for the auditions. I could quickly spot those who were well studied and familiar with the genre.

To answer your question, section figures are figures played by just one section (trumpets, for example). Ensemble figures are played by the entire ensemble, and should be set up.

I usually like to teach in person, as Skype has some limitations, and I feel it is best to find a qualified teacher who can be in the same room. However, I am set up for Skype (for when the weather is bad here and students can’t make it her in person). So am am open to helping people over Skype who want to study something specific (like big band drumming or concepts from my book, The Level System). So if you can’t find someone in time, I would be open to have you do some Skype lessons.

You can also find out who the current drummers in the band are studying with.

Again, this has all been said with the intention of you getting closer to achieving your goal.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

No worries, totally understand. I’ll send you a message now.

I got a response back from the director, saying this about the sight reading component:

“We just use sheet music from existing repertoire. You could probably find a drum kit sight reading book at Long and McQuade to work from.”

Does this mean that I would be reading drum parts that are note for note?

I got a response back from the director, saying this about the sight reading component:

“We just use sheet music from existing repertoire. You could probably find a drum kit sight reading book at Long and McQuade to work from.”

Does this mean that I would be reading drum parts that are note for note?

Yes. Sight reading is essentially reading note for note.

Todd is correct. Since you mentioned that the sightreading is from the existing repertoire, you will be given a big band chart (or section of a chart) which is to be interpreted.

The sightreading that Benjamin was referring to (playing note for note) will be found in most other auditions (concert band, marching band, orchestra, etc.)

Jeff

Todd is correct. Since you mentioned that the sightreading is from the existing repertoire, you will be given a big band chart (or section of a chart) which is to be interpreted.

The sightreading that Benjamin was referring to (playing note for note) will be found in most other auditions (concert band, marching band, orchestra, etc.)

Jeff

Thank you Jeff for the lesson. It was great. Learned a lot, and you mentioned little details that make a huge difference in sound that most drummers would miss. Thank you for taking the extra time to happily answer any questions I had.

Thank you Jeff for the lesson. It was great. Learned a lot, and you mentioned little details that make a huge difference in sound that most drummers would miss. Thank you for taking the extra time to happily answer any questions I had.

No problem at all. I enjoyed it too. I think the concepts of “thinking like a horn player” really helped. Think about singing or vocalizing the horn hits. A staccato, eighth-note hit can be vocalized at “dot,” while longer hits can be vocalized as “dah...”

Jeff

Back