Blisters with New Sticks

AceRockolla

I seem to get blisters on my hands whenever I'm using brand new sticks. After I've worn them in a little this problem goes away. I'm guessing it has something to do with the finish on the stick that wears off a little over time. I'm sure my grip has something to do with it, but again I never get blisters using sticks once they've had about 10 hours of play or so. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem and if anyone's got any advice. I use Vic Firth 5A's.

Or yopu could just send me your new sticks, I'll use them for a few weeks and send them back. Problem solved! :)

I have had that problem as well, and it was usually when I went from playing a soft acoustic gig to a big, huge rocking gig, playing very hard. And its always with new sticks. I found it was the grip I had. Gripping way too hard, as if I had a death grip on them. I started using stick wraps, grip tape and "snot" that you rub on them, problem solved. It will relax your grip. Try it out. You can also try gloves. I like gloves, but my hands sweat too much! Hope this helps.

It could be that a few things are happening because of the varnish on new sticks. Perhaps they slip more and you grip harder to compensate?

But, if you like the sticks you're using, simply get some very fine grade sandpaper and rough up the varnish a little before you play.

Last edited:
I am guessing because they are new they are slippery and you are gripping too tight so as not to drop them. Take some 220 sandpaper and remove the lacquer finish.

try tennis overgrips. They come in different materials (including leather and some that absorb sweat) and provide excellent grip and shock absorb.

To the guys using grip/tape/snot: do you suppose the change came from the grip/tape/snot, or the fact that you became aware that you were gripping too tight? I'm genuinely curious about your observations.

Could be. But aren't most blisters caused by friction? if he were gripping tight things would tend not to move. However - if the grip is too tight it should change. Just making suggestioons in case it is not

To the guys using grip/tape/snot: do you suppose the change came from the grip/tape/snot, or the fact that you became aware that you were gripping too tight? I'm genuinely curious about your observations.

the stick tape and gorilla snot makes you RELAX your grip. try it. I will avoid playing a "virgin" stick these days.

when I was younger I was "bulletproof" and couldnt care less about my hands or getting callouses. "grip hard and go!" after years of forearm pain, hand pain and wrist pain (and painful but needed forearm massages from my wife, which was great, but not after EVERY gig) I tried some grip tape. pain gone, no more forearm pain. yes my younger days I used bad technique, kill me lol!

now, that I am older (31) I want to preserve my hands as long as possible, and my grip (I also took lessons at my old age on grip, and better technique combined with the tapes and snots as well as watching the jojo mayer dvd a hundred times). my wife is also a registered nurse, and said the constant tension on your forearms from gripping tight (as I did) can cause them to "age" quick and cause more damage in the long run to the tendons, nerves AND muscles. hello!! wake up call! I had to learn how to grip loosely, and let the stick bounce and rebound (which also made them fly out of my hand, therefore I would grip tighter this is where the snot and tape comes in). took a while, but now I have no more pain, and a better, loose grip!

so anything that helps me relax my grip AND have a better hold on the sticks works for me. not a big fan of "flying stick syndrome" in front of 2000 people anymore (although I miss the arm massages from my wife LOL).

Last edited:

Good question.

I avoided using anything as a way to force discipline and grip as loose as possible. However, once I tried the wax I realized how much more loosely I could grip and how much longer I could play w/ less impact on the hands and forearms.

I'm sold on using *something* to prevent as much wear on my body as possible for long hours of play and practice. I've got a can of Groove Juice Stick Spray on the way this week and can't wait to try that out. The wax is a little too messy, IMO.

HMMM, now I am just the opposite. In the winter when my hands are dry, when I first use the sticks they slip out of my hand because they are slippery but I don't get blisters so I wrap them with stick tape or tennis tape and then the blisters are very painful, so I wrap my thumb and 1st finger on each hand with bandaids or tape so the grip tape won't chew into my fingers.

the stick tape and gorilla snot makes you RELAX your grip. try it. I will avoid playing a "virgin" stick these days.

I don't have a lot of trouble with relaxation in my grip at the moment. I was more curious about your experiences with all your accoutrements. But I'm not sure you answered my question - how much is really the snot (can it really make you relax?) and how much of that is suggestion - i.e. you associate the feel of the snot with relaxing?

I'm not saying you shouldn't use it, because in the end, I think it's important to find a way to play that is comfortable and doesn't cause you pain. I was curious more from an academic point of view than anything.

so anything that helps me relax my grip AND have a better hold on the sticks works for me. not a big fan of "flying stick syndrome" in front of 2000 people anymore (although I miss the arm massages from my wife LOL).

Fair enough. Like I said, we have to find our way of doing things. I remember Jim Blackley saying to me, "Don't be afraid to drop it, son." And he didn't just mean the physical act of holding the stick, he meant me to find a state of being where dropping the stick wouldn't matter to me. Where falling on my face on stage meant nothing. When I started to be able to approximate that, even for short periods, relaxation became easy. Mel Lewis once said that drumming "should feel like taking a s**t" (if you'll pardon the profanity). There should be no apprehension or fear. Just letting it all go.

I remember watching Peter Erskine play once. He was brilliant, as usual. It came time for a solo and he launched in with typical skill. About half-way through he dropped a stick. He stopped. Had a good laugh with the guys in the band and carried on.

Mel Lewis once said that drumming "should feel like taking a s**t" (if you'll pardon the profanity). There should be no apprehension or fear. Just letting it all go.

Ha! Now that's the type of earthy wisdom I can appreciate. I'm stealing this.

It's actually very insightful (more than you'd think), as I've struggled quite a bit to be relaxed, behind the drums.

I don't have a lot of trouble with relaxation in my grip at the moment. I was more curious about your experiences with all your accoutrements. But I'm not sure you answered my question - how much is really the snot (can it really make you relax?) and how much of that is suggestion - i.e. you associate the feel of the snot with relaxing?

I'm not saying you shouldn't use it, because in the end, I think it's important to find a way to play that is comfortable and doesn't cause you pain. I was curious more from an academic point of view than anything.
no worries! when I play a set of sticks with the gorilla snot, vs a virgin stick, the virgin stick slips out of my hands, and can leave blisters. when I play with the gorilla snotted lol, stick i can relax my grip and relax the fingers, and I am not worried about dropping the stick as much. I still drop em, thats why I have a stick bag on the floor tom and a swirlygig thing full of about 5 pairs under my hi-hat, just in case. I do teach as well, and most of my students dont want grip tape or the snot, which is totally cool. the ones that DO try it, like how they can concentrate more on playing than gripping/dropping sticks to an extent. its a fine line.

I do drop them from time to time, and it happens live. I just grab another one. I dont stop playing, just keep the beat goin. especially live. I smile, and shrug my shoulders. the audience actually gets a kick out of it. its all attitude, and having a positive one if you drop a stick.

I like the reference with mel lewis! lol!! thats classic, I wish I could teach my students that but they might freak out on me! lol! especially the younger ones.

I don't think it's so much much the stick, but more your grip. Any change (even the slightest one) will lead to a blister.

Back