$30 SNARE?!!!

In my Musicians Friend catalog that just came 2 days ago................it shows the Savage snare being priced at 24.99. That's awful cheap..................I'm curious to hear about it cyclepilot2.

Either this guy is fooling us all and actually was recording a much more expensive snare, or this snare really does sound pretty nice. And on a flat recording too... wow. I guess I stand corrected.

Good point...although it doesn't seem likely, he might just be an undercover advertiser for the snare drum.

cheap snares can sound real good. I was in a band one time and another bandmate was also a drummer. For whatever reason he had a snare in his car. It was cheap, no name and all metal. It had an Ambassador head on it that was old and on the beat up side. We were palying out one night and toward the end of the night, I noticed a small tear on my Clear CS Blackdot. I asked him if he still had his snare in the car. He said yeah and went and got it. I was thinking how bad it was going to sound and worried about not having enough time to get it right. Well, he brought it in and I put on the stand and smacked it twice and it had a loud pop with a little ring. I said where the hell did you get this thing? He said.. oh, at the pawn shop for $25. It sounded just as good as the Tama steel snare that I just plopped on the floor. So yeah, a cheap snare can be a good buy. Even if you replace the heads and put new snares on it, it is still a fraction of what a good snare would cost.

cheap snares can sound real good. I was in a band one time and another bandmate was also a drummer. For whatever reason he had a snare in his car. It was cheap, no name and all metal. It had an Ambassador head on it that was old and on the beat up side. We were palying out one night and toward the end of the night, I noticed a small tear on my Clear CS Blackdot. I asked him if he still had his snare in the car. He said yeah and went and got it. I was thinking how bad it was going to sound and worried about not having enough time to get it right. Well, he brought it in and I put on the stand and smacked it twice and it had a loud pop with a little ring. I said where the hell did you get this thing? He said.. oh, at the pawn shop for $25. It sounded just as good as the Tama steel snare that I just plopped on the floor. So yeah, a cheap snare can be a good buy. Even if you replace the heads and put new snares on it, it is still a fraction of what a good snare would cost.

Inspiring.

Reading through, i would go for that here in the UK if i could - interested to hear how it goes.

ok i got it in and i must say its not a bad sounding snare for what you pay. obviously the heads are not high end remo or evvans but are a no name brand(literally have no name on them) the snare butt end and strainer have regular screw adjustments as opposed to tuning lug style and it does have a internal muffling system kinda like the ludwig symphonics. as for the sound it actually sounds very good!! and surprised some of my fellow drum buddies. i had to put some petroleum jelly on the tuning lugs after i took the heads off since the lugs were dry .i placed the hoops and shells on a glass table and they seemed to be straight and flat(minus the snare bed). i took some pics and even did a sound test so stand by while i figure out how to post them up

That's awesome................I may pick one up. Someone is selling a bunch of new ones on Ebay for 49.99$............................that's a rip..............Musicians Friend.......$24.99.

ok i got it in and i must say its not a bad sounding snare for what you pay. obviously the heads are not high end remo or evvans but are a no name brand(literally have no name on them) the snare butt end and strainer have regular screw adjustments as opposed to tuning lug style and it does have a internal muffling system kinda like the ludwig symphonics. as for the sound it actually sounds very good!! and surprised some of my fellow drum buddies. i had to put some petroleum jelly on the tuning lugs after i took the heads off since the lugs were dry .i placed the hoops and shells on a glass table and they seemed to be straight and flat(minus the snare bed). i took some pics and even did a sound test so stand by while i figure out how to post them up

I got it in yesterday. Actually, because of the internal muffling system, this sounds much better than my ludwig snare (with evans hydraulic heads) on the starter kit. I really love the sound. $25/- , the best deal for this kind of sound. The heads are OK as well.

I have mounted my other snare on a camera tripod (tight budget guy here) and tied it safe and placed in between the floor tom and the bass drum. Now I have an additional Tom Tom, with the snare lever off!!

In my opinion, this new $25 snare is a good buy (Internal muffling system is awsome!) but I dont recommend this for all the professional folks who really play in front of the public.

wow, I suppose I retract my previous statement...I guess they have improved them since I have used these snares. All I know is that when I have used those snares, I was never able to come anywhere near tight enough on the batter head tuning; I meant theres fat and loose, and then there is just plain dead and that's all I ever got. But if you guys are saying that they can now be tuned well, I believe you and will withold from further negative comment until I have tried a brand new one in person.

I have had great luck with my $29.99 piccolo snare. Even the stock heads sound great once the drum is tuned up. When I received the drum (from MF), I removed the rods & lubricated (sparingly) the lug socket, slapped some nylon bushings on the rods & presto! Best 30 bucks I have spent so far on a drum. What have you got to lose for 25 bucks?

Peace

Back