Tabla world

Welcome! There are some great videos on there. I've always been fascinated with Tabla, it's hand drumming like nothing else.

Any other Tabla players here?

Bermuda

Love the tabla! Those rhythms, time structures, techniques- musicianship at such a high level.
It seems one can't just start to play Indian music on a tabla without studying it for a good while at first (while on a drum kit, it might be easier to start with no formal lessons).

There could be many beats applicable for western music as well, so I'll be exploring.

Thanks for posting.

I studied tabla for about a year back in the early 2000s. Really enjoyed it and getting deep into the Indian classical music scene which was pretty awesome at least at the time in NYC. I started incorporating them into a somewhat high profile/exposure gig i was playing on but then got embarrassed by the fact that I really had no business performing on that instrument when serious students can wait decades before being considered worthy of performing. I soon came to the realization that I had come to years before with the Congas, which is that I would have to shift my focus and really dedicate my life to this instrument in order to do it and all the people who do it professionally justice. Being a "weekend percussionist" just felt disrespectful somehow.

Not that I regret having taken the time to study. Like many other esoteric things, I take what I can from it and incorporate those things into my everyday life.

I would really love to learn to play tabla. There's a teacher here in Houston named David Courtney who's supposed to be the man. I should look into it...

I would really love to learn to play tabla. There's a teacher here in Houston named David Courtney who's supposed to be the man. I should look into it...

David Courtney is legit. I bought some of his books. Youtube is a great resource these days for everything from basic technique to advanced stuff. Trust your ears and develop some basic literacy for internet BS.

I studied for a couple years, and have basically coasted on my original material.

I have a couple friends who study via skype with dudes in GB and India.

It helps to start with good instruments so if you're gonna buy tabla in the US make sure you have a good source. I've bought 3 sets from these folks and they are tippity top notch. https://www.musiciansmallusa.com/drums/

It's the Ali Akbar Kahn School in San Rafael. Worth the $$$

EDIT: Upon further review, the OP appears to be a spam post for a twitter page about Tabla :(

Back