Odd beat problem.

samy109

So i'm just now incorporating bass into my drumming and lets say I hit the bass two times fast, I'll hit the hi hat twice at the same time like my leg and arm are linked and vice versa and it feels almost impossible to not do.Why is this happening and what can I do to stop this?

Hey, I had the same problem when I first started just keep practicing and try playing it slow the first time and then progressively get faster. You will eventually be able to play faster bass beats while keeping a steady beat on the cymbal. Hope this helps.

I'm not really sure specifically why this is happening, but it's an obstacle for all drummers. What you're dealing with is 4-limb coordination. This is being able to control all 4 of your limbs, both simultaneously and separately.

There are many things you can do to help with 4-limb coordination. However, the first thing I would recommend is to get yourself a good teacher. Sometimes it can be hard to gain advice just over the web, and it is easier to understand and apply when you can just see it and hear it in person. A teacher will help guide you through problems you might have, as well as open up new possibilities for you.

If this is not an option, then I would recommend getting a good book. This is the next best thing to a teacher, because the author's still help you understand whatever concept you may be learning.

It sounds like you're a beginner (as you said you just were starting to add bass), and there are many great beginner drum books that I could recommend. Two of my favorites are Stick Control by George Stone. Although it is meant for snare, it can be applied to countless different situations, such as 4 limb coordination. Another great beginner book is Realistic Rock by Carmine Appice. I'm not sure if it deals exactly what you're having trouble with, but it's a great book and covers a variety of topics, and could probably help with your problems.

But once again, the best thing to do would be to get yourself a teacher.
Hope this helped!

Back