Just a great picture :)

Andy

Honorary Member
Michele Drees in rehearsal at Ronnie Scott's in London - "Michele Drees Tap Jazz Project"

Love everything about this shot :) Great ukulele bass!

Picture credit - Vicky Annand. Will have to see if there's a high res version of this.

Attachments

• credit Vicky Annand - Michele.  London tap Jazz.jpg
    credit Vicky Annand - Michele. London tap Jazz.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 566

Im totally going to agree with Bo..

its beautiful the way it is. Film Noir. grainy retro. And the drum set looks like it belongs to that time.

No - you don't want a hi-res image of that. It's cool the way it is. It's like someone shot it with a Leica in the 1950s ;)

Im totally doing to agree with Bo..

its beautiful the way it is. Film Noir. grainy retro. And the drum set looks like it belongs to that time.

OK guys, I'm getting where you're coming from. & yes Abe, the kit does seem to belong in that era - except for the bloody suspension mount :(
Actually, I took this straight from a FB page, then enlarged it a bit. maybe some of that graininess is down to me.

Yes, it's cool atmospheric retro shot, but I'll disagree with the gallery and say go hi res and then add grain as needed (easy as applying a single filter). My feeling is that noise applied via a filter will be finer, more attractive and more authentic than the low res artefacts.

Mo's right, and he knows a fair bit about pictures, this shot is wonderful, a lot of ambiance can be felt just by looking at it, I find it quite arty too, very cool Andy.

The connection between the musos and the tapper is excellent.
Although, the tapper does seem to be looking at the kit quite strongly.
I think he'd prefer something more along the lines of a marine pearl finish, in, say for example white?!

No - you don't want a hi-res image of that. It's cool the way it is. It's like someone shot it with a Leica in the 1950s ;)

Yesterday night I played a 1957 Gretsch set, and a friend of mine shot me with a current (digital) Leica. I haven't seen any pics yet, but they're supposed to be good !
These new Leicas make great pictures actually, as did the older ones!

Yesterday night I played a 1957 Gretsch set, and a friend of mine shot me with a current (digital) Leica. I haven't seen any pics yet, but they're supposed to be good !
These new Leicas make great pictures actually, as did the older ones!

I used to shoot a Leica M2 with a 50mm Summicron and loved it. It's a shame you can't easily develop film anymore. I'd keep shooting it if I could afford it! The new digital Leicas are awesome but I'm not prepared to spend 8k for the body!

I used to shoot a Leica M2 with a 50mm Summicron and loved it. It's a shame you can't easily develop film anymore. I'd keep shooting it if I could afford it! The new digital Leicas are awesome but I'm not prepared to spend 8k for the body!
You could buy a whole Guru setup for that, & people complain about drum value, psshh- ;)

my take .. : )

What did you do Abe? I can see you've cropped it.

Well, tack on another 2500 for your one new lens and I suppose I could buy a used van for transport of the new Gurus as well, eh?
The best of everything & anything is always going to be expensive - it just is. It's the hidden stuff that most don't see or appreciate is there. I know nothing about cameras, but I'm sure the same principals apply. I bet you can get a camera for half the price of a Leicas, & it's 90%+ as good, but it's that last little 10% that's the difference between great & spectacular. Same with musicians, sportsmen & women, everything really.

Andy, Abe's gone for the sepia retro look, which suits the pic nicely. It really is a great photo.

Here's my version.

Attachments

• old-new-pic.jpg
    old-new-pic.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 167
...It really is a great photo.

Here's my version.

Agreed, it's a really good picture, so much life in that still moment, you can almost hear what's going on.

Glad you nicked my rims less version Grea, it's really cool.

We're only awaiting Mo's version now...Mo, where are you :)

My company uses Leica products for all their field survey equipment. I did not realize they made regular cameras.

Back