Before and After!

I like to have the rack tom low as well. I like to hit it with a downward motion as opposed to a forward motion (if that makes sense). I have pretty much switched to a 20" kick, and I absolutely LOVE how low I can get the rack tom now! If I wanted, I could probably have it about as low as my snare, but I like it being a little above. Check out the picture:

535A6CDE-C277-4DE6-90A0-882543125DCE_zpsitr744gn.jpg

In addition, if I was going for a vintage vibe with those Pearls with the flat stands and wrap, I'd get this reso head. I love the look of it:

s-l225.jpg

Currently, I'm stripping away the rack tom and crash. These days, when I'm playing with the band, I play with a kick, snare, floor tom, hats, and one crash/ride. I'm loving the smaller set up!

I have seen the retro Pearl decals and I'm debating doing that too. That would be cool. One more thing to add to my vibe list ;)

That's a real nice kit, MBE! Are you playing a 22" kick?

What about a one-up and two-down setup? What's your take on a double floor tom arrangement?

Yep - it's a 16x22. I was going to go 14x22 with this kit but the added 2 inches made sense. Ironically I think 18x22 is too deep and hard to fit on tiny bandstands.

Two floor toms is ok, but to haul around an additional sideways bass drum (mine is a 16x18) and not use it 90% of the time isn't real efficient for me.

This reminds me, I don't think most people, even drummers, necessarily realize the amount of toms you have if they can't see your drum set, unless they are specifically focusing on figuring it out. I remember reading that Billy Cobham played a four-piece on the first Mahavishnu album. I couldn't believe it, until I listened to the album again and paid close attention. I do still think there may have been another tom involved on one or two parts, but it was clearly a single bass drum and the vast majority of tom sounds came from only two pitched drums.

This reminds me, I don't think most people, even drummers, necessarily realize the amount of toms you have if they can't see your drum set, unless they are specifically focusing on figuring it out. I remember reading that Billy Cobham played a four-piece on the first Mahavishnu album. I couldn't believe it, until I listened to the album again and paid close attention. I do still think there may have been another tom involved on one or two parts, but it was clearly a single bass drum and the vast majority of tom sounds came from only two pitched drums.

When I was super young and impressionable, especially after staring at Ludwig's 1975 catalog too long and devouring KISS's Alive album, I thought all big touring bands had huge drum sets (remember, I was 8 at the time). Imagine my head exploding when I first saw Buddy Rich, or Led Zeppelin, or Paul McCartneys Wings back in 1976! I was devastated! Luckily it had a positive effect - I didn't really desire a big kit and knew I had to play really well on anything to be good.

Oh but my illusion was smashed!

For some reason I lately seem to be buying kits with more toms than I traditionally use with the somewhat optimistic view that I might use them, someday.

Most of the time I gig with one up, one down- I should probably save myself some money and just buy kits in that configuration, although I did just buy this today:

17425170_1680725635560703_5491017714562046713_n.jpg

I should probably change my username here as I own twice the number of DW kits than I do Gretsch now.

For some reason I lately seem to be buying kits with more toms than I traditionally use with the somewhat optimistic view that I might use them, someday.

Most of the time I gig with one up, one down- I should probably save myself some money and just buy kits in that configuration, although I did just buy this today:

I should probably change my username here as I own twice the number of DW kits than I do Gretsch now.

That's really pretty! Post a video - I'd love to hear them!

I think it depends entirely on what you are playing. If you are playing original music then you can decide how you want to play and use the drum setup that fits that style. For me, strictly a cover band, I use the setup I need to play the music.As Bo said he played the In The Air Tonight fill with just two toms and everyone loved it. I couldn't do that. The sound of the smaller toms is just too important to the song and I don't feel like I am cheating the song when I use the small toms. In the end, whatever works for you.

Yep - it's a 16x22. I was going to go 14x22 with this kit but the added 2 inches made sense. Ironically I think 18x22 is too deep and hard to fit on tiny bandstands.

Two floor toms is ok, but to haul around an additional sideways bass drum (mine is a 16x18) and not use it 90% of the time isn't real efficient for me.
Great stuff. I've never played a 16" depth kick before, but my next kit will surely have a 16.

Whoa, beautiful kit, GD!

I did, but my micro journey on this absolutely picks up on so many experiences related here.

I've always moved fairly seamlessly between 4 piece & 6 piece (never a 2 up 5 piece - I just don't go there), but after so long doing this gig down to a 4 piece, the move back to a 6 felt awkward, almost "ungainly" by comparison.

The key here however is "gig". It only felt awkward in this gig, & only for a short while. If I was moving from 4 piece to 6 piece in my drum room, I wouldn't think about it for a second. The approach to the gig itself is influenced more by muscle memory than you'd think, & that demands a little adjustment time just as any change does.

After one gig & a few rehearsals, I'm now totally back on song, & I'm convinced the move was the right choice. My bandmates certainly do too.

Here's a clip I posted here last week of my first gig back using the 6 piece. On listening back to the full video footage, I was surprised by just how much I now use the range of toms, even during standard rock & roll stuff. My bandmates notice & appreciate the extra flavours / cheese too, so all is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgmJSDQpl-s&feature=youtu.be

Even in this very short clip, I'm using the tom range 3 times.

I may be at a physical limitation too. Andy can switch between 4 and 6 easily, but I'm not the same physical height. When I'm at a 4, the rack tom is much lower and comfortable. As soon as I do two-up, both toms are much higher (even though I can still perform that way). It's just that little bit of uncomfortable-ness due to being only 5' 1".

That and the fact I grew up with the Buddy Rich mantra that a 4-piece is just the "perfect" set of drums, you can see my train of thought.

And an update: I took away the two crash cymbals, put my non-ported BD reso head back on, and am picking up some coated Ambassadors later today. Maybe I'm just at that age where experimentation is done and I just shut up and play now?

Great stuff. I've never played a 16" depth kick before, but my next kit will surely have a 16.

TBH, I like the look. Some people will say there is a true sonic difference but those are the same people who would cut a hole in the bass drum and stick a pillow in there. A 16x22 gives the same look as a 14x20 (another favorite size), and is still easy to get through a car door ;)

Yes but since DW owns some rights to Gretsch you are keeping it in the family.

I may be at a physical limitation too. Andy can switch between 4 and 6 easily, but I'm not the same physical height. When I'm at a 4, the rack tom is much lower and comfortable. As soon as I do two-up, both toms are much higher (even though I can still perform that way). It's just that little bit of uncomfortable-ness due to being only 5' 1".

That and the fact I grew up with the Buddy Rich mantra that a 4-piece is just the "perfect" set of drums, you can see my train of thought.

And an update: I took away the two crash cymbals, put my non-ported BD reso head back on, and am picking up some coated Ambassadors later today. Maybe I'm just at that age where experimentation is done and I just shut up and play now?

You'll be playing a 15 piece Neil Peart setup by this time next month. :)

TBH, I like the look. Some people will say there is a true sonic difference but those are the same people who would cut a hole in the bass drum and stick a pillow in there. A 16x22 gives the same look as a 14x20 (another favorite size), and is still easy to get through a car door ;)
I've been watching as many Youtube videos on different kits as I can, paying close attention to kick sizes, and it's going to be an easy sell for me choosing a 16x22! Always great chatting with you and getting your insight on topics such as this, MBE!

I had a good laugh at that but is he going to be playing the Moving Pictures kit or his R30 kit?

As a true Rush fan, it would have to be the Slingerland kit made famous on A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres ;)

I played Slingerland back then too, thanks to mom and dad.

I've been watching as many Youtube videos on different kits as I can, paying close attention to kick sizes, and it's going to be an easy sell for me choosing a 16x22! Always great chatting with you and getting your insight on topics such as this, MBE!

You're welcome. I'm always trying to be a bit helpful. I do know that my wide open 16x22 (with PS3's on both sides) can literally keep up with the 14x24 crowd. Not sure if it's the size or this particular Pearl Reference Pure bass drum, but I like a big sound - it's easier for me to tone down my technique than it is to deal with muffling, and then unmuffling bass drums.

I do consider it a shame when they started making 18" deep bass drums, and then 20" (that was crazy). The size is just too wide and you don't gain much. Whereas the 16" gives you a bit more visual depth without looking silly.

Back