Sweet quadruple bass pedaling

pretty cool. I wonder how that would sound on acoustic bass drums?

Funny.

The question, is that cheating?

Some times I'll come across a metal song that has stupidly fast double bass on it, and people will ask me "how does someone play that?" and well, that video explains how easy it can to "sound" like you're playing much faster than considering normally possible.

I doubt it's as easy as it looks. He is still pulling that off pretty tightly, however slow or fast he is playing those pedals. At the least I found that quite entertaining (interesting combination of slap on the bass and extreme drumming).

you need some beast calves like that and some drum triggers and a lot of control to rip like that.

It's not your calves, it's your shins, also triggers just relay your actual strikes to a module, they don't play those notes for you. I'd guess he's probably playing between 210 and 220 bpm sixteenth notes on the single so on the double it's equal to about 430 bpm sixteenths or more than 1700 strokes over a sustained minute. Sounds like a gatling gun, lol. I don't know why people would say that it's cheating, it's music, people, not sports. You don't cheat at music. I'd like to hear Tim Watterson play that rig, that would be awesome.

It's not your calves, it's your shins, also triggers just relay your actual strikes to a module, they don't play those notes for you. I'd guess he's probably playing between 210 and 220 bpm sixteenth notes on the single so on the double it's equal to about 430 bpm sixteenths or more than 1700 strokes over a sustained minute. Sounds like a gatling gun, lol. I don't know why people would say that it's cheating, it's music, people, not sports. You don't cheat at music. I'd like to hear Tim Watterson play that rig, that would be awesome.

Whenever I have heard pro drummers on e-kits, they tend to overspeed the transducers and the sound has dropouts. Tim would probably get to a certain bpm, then it would sound like a mess or not keep up at all.

That was cool. I have never seen dual beaters on a single pedal before. What are they?

They're for people who are too lazy to learn how to do PROPER doubles. The thing about that video is that yeah it sounds pretty good but you can just see that there is hardly any power in the 2nd stroke at all so if he played it on a proper drum kit it'd probably sound nothing near as good as that.

They're for people who are too lazy to learn how to do PROPER doubles. The thing about that video is that yeah it sounds pretty good but you can just see that there is hardly any power in the 2nd stroke at all so if he played it on a proper drum kit it'd probably sound nothing near as good as that.

They're the Sonor Twin Effect pedals. They are NOT for people who are too lazy to learn proper doubles. They have nothing to do with double strokes. I have one and I use it to the left of my hi hat for achieving double bass effects with my left foot while playing the "real" kick with my right.

What that guy was doing in the video was really hard. If he has that kind of development in his lower leg (It's not just the shin BTW, the gastroc and the soleus muscles of the calf depress the pedals and the tibialis anterior of the shin raises the foot ) then he must be capable of some pretty mean "standard" double bass.

I think it's funny that when someone demonstrates something that nobody here can do, people look for ways to minimize it. Just admit that the guy is pretty bad-ass at something you can't do because we all know it's true anyway.

Tell that to Thomas Lang...

They're the Sonor Twin Effect pedals. They are NOT for people who are too lazy to learn proper doubles. They have nothing to do with double strokes. I have one and I use it to the left of my hi hat for achieving double bass effects with my left foot while playing the "real" kick with my right.

What that guy was doing in the video was really hard. If he has that kind of development in his lower leg (It's not just the shin BTW, the gastroc and the soleus muscles of the calf depress the pedals and the tibialis anterior of the shin raises the foot ) then he must be capable of some pretty mean "standard" double bass.

I think it's funny that when someone demonstrates something that nobody here can do, people look for ways to minimize it. Just admit that the guy is pretty bad-ass at something you can't do because we all know it's true anyway.

Okay well if that's true then what are they for? And i do think it is actually easier to play an electronic kit then an acoustic one, I'm not trying to "minimize" his ability in anyway i'm just saying what i think is true. And yes i know i probably couldn't do that but i'm sure there are SOME people here on DW who can.

Okay well if that's true then what are they for? And i do think it is actually easier to play an electronic kit then an acoustic one, I'm not trying to "minimize" his ability in anyway i'm just saying what i think is true. And yes i know i probably couldn't do that but i'm sure there are SOME people here on DW who can.

I agree, an electronic kit can allow anyone to play much faster than an acoustic.

You can set a pad to pick up even the smallest stroke as "loud" and set the dynamics so that all hits sound the same. I can't play extreme metal parts on my acoustic set that well (I'm not really into it) but on my Roland kit, I do blast beats with no problem. LOL.

It's pretty common in the extreme metal scene (and other scenes) to trigger the bass drum to that a player can play faster without having to hit the drum as hard, giving the illusion they're doing more than they are. It's pretty clear on the video, he's not hitting the drums very hard, but the sound of the electronic drums are giving the sound of someone who is.

Add in those pedals, and it's pretty clear he's doing something that would sound very different on an acoustic set. Maybe he could pull it off, maybe he couldn't, we don't know, but it would be different.

When I see something like that, I still think "cheating" because it's not what we traditionally think of playing drums. But then again, guitar players use harmonizers and other effects to make it sound like they're playing more strums/picks than they really are, keyboardists can layer near unlimited sounds, vocalists use harmonizers to make themselves sound like multiple people, so why no a drummer using technology to make themselves sound they're doing more?

It's pretty common in the extreme metal scene (and other scenes) to trigger the bass drum to that a player can play faster without having to hit the drum as hard, giving the illusion they're doing more than they are. It's pretty clear on the video, he's not hitting the drums very hard, but the sound of the electronic drums are giving the sound of someone who is.

People need to think a little more about this. Triggers DO NOT play for you, they just pick up a signal - you still have to pull of the speed. Also, you are confusing dynamics and speed which are not the same thing, at all.

You can play blast beats with no problem on the e-kit? How tight can you do that? Playing the patterns in rhythm and in a precise manner also comes into consideration.

Finally, to clear things up a bit with in regards to extreme drumming - when you get to the 210-220 bpm range playings 16ths, it becomes physically impossible to play full strokes on the kicks. You just can't play strokes like you can at 120bpm. This is why they use Triggers so that the strokes can be audible at those speeds. Otherwise how do you want the kicks to cut through the soaring guitars? Not to mention, microphones can't even pick up a decent signal at those speeds because there is too much air moving inside the kick.

Last edited:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Am I the only person who found that extremely funny?
And good lord that was some clean playing!
Sounds almost too clean to be honest.... robotic..... quantized?

pretty cool. I wonder how that would sound on acoustic bass drums?

Yeh same here i spose it would be much harder because an acoustic bass drum hasn't got that bounce back like the electric kit has....
But still cool

Back