came across this camco kit on ebay

robyn64

and the lugs on them are different then on mine. both kits came from the oaklawn il. period, (same bagdes on both kits). can any one tell me when they changed lugs or any information on them. just curious.
kit on ebay:
camco kit 1960s.jpg
my kit:
072012_1733[00].jpg

John Goode or Don Lombardi, the two founders of DW Drums, may be able to provide the answer. These guys started out in the drum business by manufacturing trap case seats for the Camco Drum Co. They later purchased the machinery, dies and molds, and everything else it took to make Camco drums and hardware (they did not purchase the name).

John Goode or Don Lombardi, the two founders of DW Drums, may be able to provide the answer. These guys started out in the drum business by manufacturing trap case seats for the Camco Drum Co. They later purchased the machinery, dies and molds, and everything else it took to make Camco drums and hardware (they did not purchase the name).

yes and Tama bought the name. i did a google search and the only thing that is said about doing anything different during the oaklawn period was that they use the oval badge for a cup'l yrs (69-71) that would of been just before they moved to chanute. the oval badge is from George Way. which is the creator of camco drums and the round lugs that dw uses today. the tuxedo type lugs on the ebay kit are the same lugs george used on his drums before camco when it was George Way Drums. please correct me if i am wrong on any of this.
this all just has me very curious and not being able to find the info i'm looking for is agravating. i'll keep looking tho.

Last edited:
The non-round lugs appear to be a Camco "Tuxedo" outfit. I never knew that Camco had two styles of lugs.

Center lugs were the "more affordable" drums, put out by most major US drum companies. They used the same shells (usually), but used budget hardware. And where the 22" top line kick drum would probably be a 10 lugger, the budget line most probably would have 8 lugs. While the drums would share the same shells, less holes drilled (less man hours) and budget hardware, would make the drums less costly.​
In the case of these two Camco kits (to compare it to Ludwig) ..... the eBay kit is similar to the Ludwig Club Date. Your kit is similar to the Ludwig Classic.​
I didn't see a floor tom listed in the Camco catalogs, so that might be a really rare bird. Perhaps a special order.​

Last edited:
Thats a really cool kit!
I play a modern version of that kit made by Ludwig called the 2012 Club Date.
I really like the sound of my center-lug kit.
True, these were entry level kits but they really sounded great. They are warm sounding drums. I really like my center-luggers!
I like the appearance too.

Attachments

• 0324021409.jpg
    0324021409.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 592
The non-round lugs appear to be a Camco "Tuxedo" outfit. I never knew that Camco had two styles of lugs.

i didn't know this either. I did know George Way used them on his drum line but didn't know he used them on the camcos.

learn something new every day. ;)

Center lugs were the "more affordable" drums, put out by most major US drum companies. They used the same shells (usually), but used budget hardware. And where the 22" top line kick drum would probably be a 10 lugger, the budget line most probably would have 8 lugs. While the drums would share the same shells, less holes drilled (less man hours) and budget hardware, would make the drums less costly.

makes sence​

after looking over the links mad provided i think this is the kit i have. looks like it anyway by the discription of the photo and drum sizes. the set listed in the purple area. check out the price. :0
1965-camco_drumsets2.jpg

Camco use both lugs. But I never see LA era ( 73-78) with other then "dw" - oval lugs.
George Way started with those lugs you still see on DW drums, back in 50:s.

I have a GeoWay Spartan 14x5,5, DucoBlue snare with "DW" lugs from 57 or 58. Sound twice so good as my vintage Ludwig snares!!!!!!

Back