And I'm back to two....

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Well, the DrumCrafts went back to the store the other day. I really liked them and was itching to take them out for a gig - but it's quite a fantastic story that I must share with you.

So, I'm doing my job loading in a band for a rehearsal here at my work, and with all the cabling on the floor of this rehearsal area, I was moving a stage monitor across the backside of this band who haven't started playing yet, but their gear was set up. Well, I slipped on some cabling, and fell forward into the back of a Fender Twin amp that was up on a small riser. The 100-pound Fender Twin fell directly on to this guys' Baby Taylor guitar. The good news: it completely missed his 1964 Gibson Les Paul. The Baby Taylor was literally destroyed (it was quite spectacular from what I was told since I was on top of the whole pile).

Of course, I feel bad, and the company isn't going to compensate him for my mistake, so I felt compelled to replace his guitar (he was sort of upset about the whole ordeal - as he should be).

Well thank heavens that the store I bought from has a 15-day refund policy, and I was only about 8-days into it. I took the kit back, and we laughed about the circumstances, and they let me order another Baby Taylor for this guy and gave me a refund for the rest (the Baby Taylor is a little over half of what I spent on the DrumCrafts).

So I have a little bit of money left over, and am debating shopping for another kit or just staying with my two. The two kits are great. Maybe I'll take someone's advice and get a Gretsch kit or a vintage Rogers kit. But although I'm a little bummed that I had to replace this guy's guitar, I don't know if I feel that bad about not having the DrumCrafts. The few days I played them, I didn't feel the ultimate joy I feel when I play the other two vintage kits, but they sure did look nice.

So now I have to send back the Yamaha tom mount I ordered for the DC kit too. I had contemplated installing that on my Slingerlands, but I didn't want to mess with 'em.

Stupid bad luck, eh?

Dang, Bo, that was a major oops. Yeah, you actually got very lucky that it was only that baby Taylor that got it. Must've been a spectacular crash with a resounding crunch. Sorry to hear about the DC's going back to the store, but at least you could take care of it all. Our bass player accidentally had hiss bass amp fall flat on its face during a gig. It was hilarious...dreadfully hilarious.

Maybe you can save up for a Guru snare drum. Hey hey...or that new birch Sonor that Gavin was pitching. (Oh, sorry, those are on my wish list)

Last edited:
Bad luck! But it was good thing you didn't have to replace the Twin, too.

Well bummer! Guess it wasn't meant to be.

Glad you weren't hurt Bo. The Drumcrafts just weren't meant to be I guess. You're a stand up guy. Well except for the trip, but after that you were a stand up guy lol.

Glad you weren't hurt Bo. The Drumcrafts just weren't meant to be I guess. You're a stand up guy. Well except for the trip, but after that you were a stand up guy lol.

Hahahaha! Is that a "stand back up" guy?

It's all the cosmos' way of saying the DrumCrafts just weren't right for you...

Bad luck! But it was good thing you didn't have to replace the Twin, too.

You know, with the amount of whining I had to endure after the fact, I'm preparing for a phone call complaining about broken tubes or something. But the fact that as the sound guy, everything sounded great all during the rehearsal, I shouldn't. But there are some people where you wouldn't be surprised if they did call me later in the week.

I did feel bad, but after all the excitement and even after I said I'll replace the guitar (blah blah blah), you'd think people would just let it go and not let it ruin their whole evening. Afterall, it's not like it's a Selmer Mark VII tenor sax where used they're worth upwards of 8K. It's a $300 laminated guitar! That's why I was relieved I didn't smash the Les Paul. I'm not saying I wasn't wrong, I did slip and fall, but after it was all taken care of, you could let it go and get on with it, eh?

I do love Bo's stories though. It's cool hearing about his musical career. And his gear stories are always fun.

Bo was the guitar owner making the fuss? or someone else? The guitar owner is the only guy who has a right to bitch. Accidents happen.

You know, with the amount of whining I had to endure after the fact, I'm preparing for a phone call complaining about broken tubes or something. But the fact that as the sound guy, everything sounded great all during the rehearsal, I shouldn't. But there are some people where you wouldn't be surprised if they did call me later in the week.

I did feel bad, but after all the excitement and even after I said I'll replace the guitar (blah blah blah), you'd think people would just let it go and not let it ruin their whole evening. Afterall, it's not like it's a Selmer Mark VII tenor sax where used they're worth upwards of 8K. It's a $300 laminated guitar! That's why I was relieved I didn't smash the Les Paul. I'm not saying I wasn't wrong, I did slip and fall, but after it was all taken care of, you could let it go and get on with it, eh?

Oh yeah, I didn't know the guy was being a putz about it. Sorry, man.

Oh yeah, I didn't know the guy was being a putz about it. Sorry, man.

Well, on the one hand, I can understand being upset. I would be if my prized drum kit was damaged by somebody else. But I don't think I'd be in continuous putz mode after squaring everything away. And I think if it was any other sound man in some dive venue this guy wouldn't see any compensation at all. Just because of where I work and this is a career, I can afford it and wanted to make things right. I don't mind doing that since it was my fault, but once it's done, it's done. Sheesh.

I mean, I've been on bandstands where a dancer would take out a beautiful sax or trumpet worth way more than $300, and those players didn't fall apart about it. They got through the gig and then went and had their horns fixed. Sorta comes with the territory, I guess.

I guess this is what scares me about owning a Craviotto, or a Guru, or a....? My whole life has been about loving the instruments, but then not loving it so much that if you lose it or something, you don't fall to pieces. I'm kinda wondering how this guy would've taken his prized Les Paul being damaged? Maybe this guy shouldn't be gigging.

Great story! Sad story too, and I feel so bad for you...not so much the guitarist. Not that I wouldn't be upset, but like you said, it's a $300 laminated guitar. Good on you for being the bigger man, and good luck with the transition back to two...I would buy a new set of chimes.

Great story! Sad story too, and I feel so bad for you...not so much the guitarist. Not that I wouldn't be upset, but like you said, it's a $300 laminated guitar. Good on you for being the bigger man, and good luck with the transition back to two...I would buy a new set of chimes.

Well, I was at Pro Drum this morning trying to play a pair of tabla they had. It's hard. I ended up not getting them because of the frustration level I experienced in the 30 minutes I was sitting on the floor with them!

Ah Bo, I guess your avatar says it all hey? I'll be the wife was mighty disappointed about her favourite kit going back too. Such pretty drums they were, but I guess it's back to the yellow ones!

And the lesson is: play a Telecaster!

It would have met The Twin half way.

Ahhhh, well, I wasn't really feeling those DrumCrafts for you, anyways. Stick with your Slingies and your Luddies for the time being. The next kit should knock you off your feet.

Back