Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Introduce Yourself

Well, I guess it might be interesting to do this -

real name? Terry Reynolds
age? er - 55
how long been playing? since I was about 11
origin of user name? Bass player in my last band called me Tezzer, the 2 "i"s are drumsticks!!
top 5 drummers? Hmm, hard to choose. Dave Mattacks, Bonzo, Buddy, Ringo, Peart . . . . .
make of drumkit? Mainly very old Premier, Ludwig snare, Aquarian heads
make of cymbal? Zildjian, Paiste
where do you practice? at home on pad, sometimes drive out to my chapel & use the back room
are you in a band/s? We're called the Bluestones, been together for abt 6 months, booked up all next year! Also play dances with a bunch of friends from church (but we're not a "church band")
covers or originals? This band - covers, tho we'll probably start doing orig stuff in time.
what style of music? Popular to slightly heavy rock, blues
favourite take out food? Chinese
country? England
one really odd fact about yourself? I'm very quiet & shy, people are blown away when they see me on drums.
how did you start drumming? Can't remember!! I think I tapped along to records, and a school friend who played guitar encouraged me to accompany him. Then another friend, pianist, started a blues band - - -

I'll try this out...even though I hate this format.

real name? Andy Barron
age? 32
how long been playing? 20 years
origin of user name? I used to go by "sticks" and my wife was stoned a lot.
top influences? Derrek Roddy, Bonham, Vinnie Paul, John Slattery, Carter Beuford, Peart, Bozzio, Perry Strickland, Charlie Bennante, Louis Clemente, Matt Mcdonough
make of drumkit? Force 2001
make of cymbal? Sabian (HH, HHX, B8, and AA).
where do you practice? My music room
are you in a band/s? I'm in a contemporary christian band trying to change gears out of heavy.speed metal
covers or originals? Both
country? USA

Kit list.

Red Cherry Wine Sonor force 2001 on a PDP rack (11, 12, 14, 22). Maryland Drum (6.5 x 14) 20mm shell, Pearl 3.5 x 13 Brass Piccolo snare, 8" AA splash, 10" HHX splash, 14" B8 Medium Hats, 16" B8 Medium crash, 16" AA Thin crash, 18.5" Chad Smith X-plosion crash (not pictured), 18" HHX China, 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride. Evans coated dry on the snares, Remo clear pinstripes on the toms and bass.

drums%20(1).jpg

Overall, I've been in and out of drumming. Took about a 5 year hiatus ten years ago but still played on a firends' kit. Couldn't help myself and got back into it. Been going since.

Love this site!

Andy

Real name? Jordan (Friends call me Shaggy)

Age? 17

How long been playing? About 4 years off and on. I'm getting back into drumming after a year off.

Origin of user name? I'm the Captain of what's left of my school's drumline.

Top 5 drummers? Buddy Rich, Dave Weckl, Steve Smith, Steve Gadd, Carter Beauford.

Make of drumkit? Sonor Force 2003

Make of cymbal? Zildjian

Where do you practice? Third Floor, second room on the left.

Are you in a band/s? Not really. Play on request.

Covers or originals? Both

What style of music? Jazz/Funk/Rock/Heavy Metal. Depends. My favorite is jazz.

Favourite take out food? A streetcorner Thai Imbiss in Frankfurt.

Country? Germany

One really odd fact about yourself? Out of the three years that I've been called Shaggy, my hair was short for about two of them.

How did you start drumming? Asked for a drumset for Christmas on a whim, started teaching myself, and went from there.

Fatman- Real name Tony!
Cornwall-UK
Age 33

Started drumming with purpose about two weeks ago, around Christmas day when my son(9) received a drum kit from Santa. Honestly the kit is for my son!

I've not had any lessons to date, although my son goes to a neighbours house for lessons and i sometimes go with him and watch and take notes of the exercises!

Only time will tell if we both continue, at the moment it's something that i can do for 5minutes or 2 hours with relative ease depending on the time available. All my other hobbies (surfing, biking, photography) require that i commit more time to each and can prove to be awkward to fit into a very busy working and family life.

Top tip- If you have a wife., girlfriend or partner who might not see the appeal of drumming, buy a set of Silencer Pads, there great and they will keep your loved ones of your back not to mention the neighbours!

Happy Drumming!

Fatman- Real name Tony!
Cornwall-UK
Age 33

Started drumming with purpose about two weeks ago, around Christmas day when my son(9) received a drum kit from Santa. Honestly the kit is for my son!

I've not had any lessons to date, although my son goes to a neighbours house for lessons and i sometimes go with him and watch and take notes of the exercises!

Only time will tell if we both continue, at the moment it's something that i can do for 5minutes or 2 hours with relative ease depending on the time available. All my other hobbies (surfing, biking, photography) require that i commit more time to each and can prove to be awkward to fit into a very busy working and family life.

Top tip- If you have a wife., girlfriend or partner who might not see the appeal of drumming, buy a set of Silencer Pads, there great and they will keep your loved ones of your back not to mention the neighbours!

Happy Drumming!

Sounds good to me!!! Keep on...

Bernhard

Thanks for your reply Bernhard,
I'm not going to try and kid myself or anyone else that I know what does what I’m doing!

Last night I found myself going over the exercises my son had been given and trying new beats (only simple ones) for over 2 hours whilst my son played on his Playstation! It was great fun/exercise and was far better than watching the crappy soap operas on the TV.
Only when I got off the set could he get on!

I will admit to one thing, I have watched lots of drummers of all standards (mainly through this site) and I cannot get my head around the limb independence thing! I'm sure it will come but try as I might I cannot even strike a simple but independent beat without screwing it up after a few seconds.
I will crack it, the sooner the better!

No doubt I will find lots of hints and tips on here, and for that I thank everyone!

Happy Drumming!

I apologise if my terms aren't quite right but that’s another side to drumming I have yet to learn!

real name? Rodrigo
age?14
how long been playing? 3 weeks
origin of user name? i really dont know
top 5 drummers? Buddy Rich, Vinnie Colaiuta, Mike Portnoy, Dave Weckl, Neil Peart
make of drumkit?Ludwig
make of cymbal?Orion
where do you practice?in my bedroom
are you in a band/s?no
covers or originals?covers
what style of music?rock/metal
favourite take out food? uh? xDDD
country? Chile
one really odd fact about yourself? uh???
how did you start drumming? because i like the instrument and i wannna learn how to play, i couldnt start before because a few reasons that ill not explain

real name? Chris

age? 19

how long been playing? One year

origin of user name? I was thinking of a username when I joined a musician finder site and it has stuck ever since

top 5 drummers? John Bonham, Neil Peart, Tony Royster, Mike Portnoy, Danny Carrey

make of drumkit? It's an old set my brother bought when he was 16(now 23). We are re-doing the entire set in Pacific parts and we just bought a DW (Drum Workshop - off brand of Pacific but still fairly expensive) 7000 double bass pedal :)

make of cymbal? Wuhan, Sabian, Zildjian

where do you practice? Garage loft

are you in a band/s? I am in my own band called Mind Not For Rent. Look it up on myspace for info. No music up yet though.

covers or originals? Both

what style of music? Rock/Alternative/Acoustic/Christian/Hard Rock - Whatever feels right for the song ;)

favourite take out food? pizza

country? USA

one really odd fact about yourself? You're looking at a future Psychologist :)

how did you start drumming? My brother has been playing for 7 years and I've always been into it. I knew I needed to start seriously playing myself when I would always sit there and tap beats that I made up with my feet and fingers in school and always get yelled at by teachers. Now, I can't help but hear a song and air drum to it. For the most part I've taught myself how to play. There is nothing like having an audience watching you and cheering for you because you blew them away with your drumming when you have a 7 year drummer for a brother standing there and he taught you nothing :)

O.K. - Here it goes...........

real name? Michael Catone

age? 36

how long been playing? 33 years (first sat behind a drumkitw/sticks @ 3 years old

origin of user name? Drum corp instructor always saying "gimme some chops"

top 5 drummers? Neil Peart, Vinnie C, Dave W., JoJo M, Stewart C.

make of drumkit? Sonor Force 3005

make of cymbal? Sabian AAX Brilliants

where do you practice? Home, Studio Hall

are you in a band/s? 2 bands

covers or originals? One cover, the other cover plus some originals

what style of music? Cover band- Current country w/current rock (Kenny Chesney to Nickelback) the other 70's - 80's popular rock/dance

favourite take out food? Guida's
country? United States of America

one really odd fact about yourself? Held up the first hole of the Ryder Cup in 1995 at Oak Hill Country Club in Rochester, NY, because of my drum trailer, they thought it was a 'bomb'!! Delayed the game 1 hour and 30 minutes (or so)

how did you start drumming? Watching my older brother play the drums

Attachments

• New Sonor 3005 Pics.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 311
Last edited:

Hello Drummerworld,
I'm a long time visitor to the forums, first time poster. First let me say thank you to everyone responsible for the creation and upkeep of DW. The amount of information you guys have compiled is amazing. DW is usually my first and last stop for most anything I'm looking to learn pertaining to drums. Now that that's out of the way, hi everyone else. I look forward to spending entirely too much time here on the forums.

real name? Brandon Smith
age? 17
how long been playing? Probably about 3 years
origin of user name? An old nickname
top 5 drummers? Eh...John Bonham, Steve Smith...Neil Peart...Dave Weckl and Carter Beauford in no particular order
make of drumkit? Tama
make of cymbal? 2002 Hats and a couple of HHX's
where do you practice? Anywhere I can bring a practice pad or move my hands or feet
are you in a band/s? Not other than the praise and worship band. Rural Alabama doesn't have much of a local music scene
covers or originals? Mostly covers. Every once and a while someone will break out something they wrote.
what style of music? The praise and worship band plays mostly Hillsong/Israel Houghton/something similar, while I have been known to play most anything I could figure out how to play.
favourite take out food? Steak-out
country? U.S.A.
one really odd fact about yourself? For the most part I'm socially retarded.
how did you start drumming? One summer when I was about 11, the band director called my house and asked if I wanted to play as they were short a couple of bass drummers. That started me into percussion in general but I didn't start playing set until I realized I was the worst guitar player out of my group of friends. We were trying to start a band for the school talent show when we realized we didn't have a drummer and since I did the marching percussion thing, I was the natural candidate for 'drummer'.

Last edited:

Hi, like many people, there is long time ago that I know this website but it's the first time that I post Anything so, I introduce myself :

real name? Michel Jérémy

age? 22

how long been playing? 7 years

origin of user name? All people tell Me Mitch "the barbarian"...

top 5 drummers? Lars Ulrich, Vinnie Paul, Dave Lombardo ...

make of drumkit? Sonor Force 2001

make of cymbal? Sabian XS

where do you practice? Home

are you in a band/s? not for the moment

what style of music? Metal

country? Belgium

how did you start drumming?When I have seen a metallica gigs

Hello All!

I'm new to the boards here, I've been browsing for some time now and decided to join. Just thought I would introduce myself! :)

real name? Dennis
age? 20
how long been playing? 7 years
origin of user name? I just thought it sounded cool when I started using it oh so long ago
top 5 drummers? Marco Minnemann, Dave Weckl, Tommy Igoe, Bobby Jarzombek, Virgil Donati, although it is impossible to choose 5!
make of drumkit? RMV
make of cymbal? Sabian
where do you practice? At home
are you in a band/s? No
covers or originals? N/A
what style of music? I like to attempt to play all styles of music, some i'm better at than others!
favourite take out food? A&W or Pizza
country? Canada
one really odd fact about yourself? I think I have irritable bowel syndrome.
how did you start drumming? On a SEARS kit I got for christmas.

Last edited:

real name? Dimitar Barbutov
age? 31
how long been playing? 12 years
origin of user name? My drums
top 5 drummers? Neil Peart, Jeff Ballard, Steve Smith, Gary Novak, Manu Katche
make of drumkit? Yamaha Oak Custom
make of cymbal? Zildjian
are you in a band/s? Recently. In a Jazz Quartet.
covers or originals? Standarts.
what style of music? Jazz(Be-bop) and Prog rock from 80`s
favourite take out food? Bulgarian quizine
country? Bulgaria
one really odd fact about yourself? Idiotic sence of humor.
how did you start drumming? I bought ma first kit in 1995.

Hello!

Hey guys,
I'm Ian, a 16 year old from High Point, North Carolina. I just started drumming around a month ago. I got a TAMA Stagestar. I'm still using the stock high hat, but they sent me a free Zildjian XBT 16" crash because the crash/ride that came with the kit was broken. Anyway, I'm just getting started and decided I should talk to some people who knew something about drums.

My favorite band is Mastodon (with my favorite drummer, Brann Dailor). My list of favorite drummers is as follows: Brann Dailor, Neil Peart, Phil Collins, and Dave Lombardo.

Anyways, just thought I'd make myself known!

Cheers,
-Ian Pasquini

real name? James Macauley
age? 19
how long been playing? 10 years
origin of user name? Nick Name in Band
top 5 drummers? Mike Portnoy, John Blackwell, Billy Cobham, Steve Gadd, Steve White
make of drumkit? Mapex Saturn
make of cymbal? Sabian
are you in a band/s? Pipe band, Rock/Metal Band, Jazz/Fusion Band.
covers or originals? Bit of Both.
what style of music? Tis all about the Fusion
country? Northern Ireland
one really odd fact about yourself? Hate Hairy Toes!!!
how did you start drumming? Seen Local Band Practicing outside an got talking!

Re: Hello!

Welcome, Nice to meet you. Good luck with your drumming.........there are plenty of threads that should answer all your questions you may have. Good Assortment of influences.

Yay, Mastodon! I just picked up Blood Mountain and have been listening to it on my phone for the last week. I love it more every time I listen to it. I've been trying to relate their sound to other bands I like. Something like a mix of King Crimson, Clutch, and the Melvins for the most part. Sometimes I swear I'm listening to Zack Wylde, and then there's one song that reminds of Prong, and another song that has a small part that sounds like Fantomas. I think Leviathan is still my favorite album, but since I only have these two I need some more.

Yay, Mastodon! I just picked up Blood Mountain and have been listening to it on my phone for the last week. I love it more every time I listen to it. I've been trying to relate their sound to other bands I like. Something like a mix of King Crimson, Clutch, and the Melvins for the most part. Sometimes I swear I'm listening to Zack Wylde, and then there's one song that reminds of Prong, and another song that has a small part that sounds like Fantomas. I think Leviathan is still my favorite album, but since I only have these two I need some more.

Get Remission, it's my favorite of theirs , I love all their music, though. Everything they did was excellent. I own their 4 albums and Remission was their first full length. I guess there are really 5 albums if you count Lifesblood, but buy Call of the Mastodon instead, it has all the tracks from Lifesblood on it plus a few of their really early songs.

Last edited:

real name? Chris
age? 23
how long been playing? Been playing on and off since I was 16

make of drumkit? Gretsch Catalina Club in WMP
make of cymbal? Ill post pics and spec sometime soon. Maybe in my Sig.
where do you practice? My basement.

favourite take out food? Chinese
country? USA

how did you start drumming? Wanted to start a band w/ my friends.

Started at 16. Been playing on and off since then, no formal training really.

The pix below are of a Gretsch Catalina Club that I just recently took possession of. They ARE NOT SET UP due to the fact that I am cleaning them and preparing them for some love.

352012472_ff8b78075b.jpg

352012474_7fd6d7e99f.jpg

352012478_49eee7bef6.jpg

THIS IS WHATS PICTURED:

Gretsch Catalina Club in White Marine Pearl
16x18 Bass
08x12 Tom
14x14 Floor
05x14 Snare

The snare that I'm using in the picture is an old Peace 5 1/2x14, with some felt strip muffling.

14" Paiste 200 Series Hi-Hats
19" Zildjian Crash/Ride
20" Zildjian Ride w/ Rivet Holes but No Rivets in Dem.

Axis Longboard Single Pedal
Axis Longboard Hi-Hat Stand

Pro-Form Airobic Stationary Bicycle
House Plants
Windows

I'll repost some more pictures as things progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back